Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my new XD9 (4" bi-tone FWIW) out to the range for the first time and I have to say I was very inpressed. Once I got used to shooting it, I was tearing the centers of the targets out.

I did notice that after a while there was no rhyme or reason to the direction that the spent cartridge casings were ejecting. Some were going straight up, some over my right shoulder. Since there were no FTEs or FTFs I didn't really think too much of it at the time.

When I got it home and stripped it for cleaning, I noticed the cause of the incosistency: my ejector was wobbly. Vertically, it's solid but you can quite easily wiggle it back and forth by about a millimeter total.

I'm assuming that I can re-stake the roll pins holding this part on and thus tighten it back up, but I was curious to hear if anyone else has ever experienced this on their XD?

·
Registered
298 Posts
k8ysv said:
I took my new XD9 (4" bi-tone FWIW) out to the range for the first time and I have to say I was very inpressed. Once I got used to shooting it, I was tearing the centers of the targets out.

I did notice that after a while there was no rhyme or reason to the direction that the spent cartridge casings were ejecting. Some were going straight up, some over my right shoulder. Since there were no FTEs or FTFs I didn't really think too much of it at the time.

When I got it home and stripped it for cleaning, I noticed the cause of the incosistency: my ejector was wobbly. Vertically, it's solid but you can quite easily wiggle it back and forth by about a millimeter total.

I'm assuming that I can re-stake the roll pins holding this part on and thus tighten it back up, but I was curious to hear if anyone else has ever experienced this on their XD?
The roll pin doesn't touch that part. There is a retainer pin that keeps the extractor and fire pin saftey in place. That pin keeps the extractor from moving up and down, not left and right. New extractor time!

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
Thats normal wiggle it keeps your magazines from breaking the ejector. XD magazines have tolerances built in to them as well as the pistol. Sometimes the fit is real tight sometimes loose. Here is a pic showwing a mag that hit the ejector. You can see that it moved up and out of the way of the magazine. Your recoil springs can have thorw your brass in odd places. Do the same thing I have done here take the slide off the frame and push the ejector down then slowly insert the magazine now after the mag is seated push harder in the bottom of the mag you will see your ejector move the same thing happend when you slam a mag home under stress or in compitition.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Excellent! Thanks ajamesp51 for the information. I looked at a friend's XD yesterday (also brand new) and noticed that his has the same "play" in it that mine does and we were concerned. Glad that we can put it to rest.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
I will be happy to loan you my WiggleMeter. It has
been used by several of the old timers who have
been onboard awhile. It works to.

Ed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ed Ely said:
I will be happy to loan you my WiggleMeter. It has
been used by several of the old timers who have
been onboard awhile. It works to.

Ed
LOL :shock: :lol:

Umm, while I appreciate the offer, I'll have to pass. Thanks though... *runs*

·
Registered
12 Posts
I've never worried too much about brass ejecting out in various directions - as long as they were always coming out, and it wasn't a sign of a problem.

I once had a Ruger P89 that flung brass everywhere, but it never had a failure-to-anything. I must have put 1000's of round through it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts