Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my new bi-tone XDm compact 9 yesterday and took it out today. Fortunately, I live on the edge of BLM so can just hop on the quad and go out 1/4 mile and blast away. Anyway, typical for me, it shot to the right a bit. For whatever reason I can't seem to straighten up my shots with semi's. I don't seem to have the problem with my revolvers.
Anyway, I ran about 60 rounds through it and a few spent casings bounced off my head. :? I've never had that happen with my XD sub compact or any gun for that matter. Is this something that happens with these guns? Its nothing to get upset about, just a little odd that it shoots the shell straight up on occasion. If it matters, I'm a lefty, so it possibly doesn't happen with right handers.
Besides that, I am in LOVE with that gun so far. It feels better in the hand than my XD sc did and had zero issues not to mention is is sweet looking.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Picked up my new bi-tone XDm compact 9 yesterday and took it out today. Fortunately, I live on the edge of BLM so can just hop on the quad and go out 1/4 mile and blast away. Anyway, typical for me, it shot to the right a bit. For whatever reason I can't seem to straighten up my shots with semi's. I don't seem to have the problem with my revolvers.
Anyway, I ran about 60 rounds through it and a few spent casings bounced off my head. :? I've never had that happen with my XD sub compact or any gun for that matter. Is this something that happens with these guns? Its nothing to get upset about, just a little odd that it shoots the shell straight up on occasion. If it matters, I'm a lefty, so it possibly doesn't happen with right handers.
Besides that, I am in LOVE with that gun so far. It feels better in the hand than my XD sc did and had zero issues not to mention is is sweet looking.
Are you by chance a lefty? It sounds like you may be. I say that because you would be twisting the gun around by sympathetic contraction of the rest of your fingers when you pull the trigger. Continuing to twist and the ejection port is aimed back at ya.

If you are a righty, then I dunno.:confused:

·
Registered
340 Posts
I had that happen to me once. It was the last round of the magazine, I pulled the trigger and immediately got popped in the forehead by the casing. Confused the hell out of me, couldn't figure out what happened. Still don't know what happened actually. I'm right handed

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you by chance a lefty? It sounds like you may be. I say that because you would be twisting the gun around by sympathetic contraction of the rest of your fingers when you pull the trigger. Continuing to twist and the ejection port is aimed back at ya.

If you are a righty, then I dunno.:confused:
Yep, a total lefty as I stated in the opening thread. I will check out the link provided above also.
Anyone else have a spent casing of bounce off their head with an XDm?

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had this happen with my 3.8 compact the first time out to the range with it, and I'm a righty. The casing caught me square in the middle of the forehead.

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
Can't help with the ejection problem. I'm a lefty and had the same right-shooting problem. Try relaxing your left-hand grip a little, and use your right hand more. Either press your hands together, or push with the left, pull with the right (depending on how you were trained). And use just a little more of your trigger finger.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Go to this link for a target correction chart for left handers to see why you are shooting to the right with the auto pistols. The target is printable on your printer so you can shoot them at your next range session.

http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-...on-pistol-correction-chart-w-xdtalk-logo.html
According to the chart, my first session with my new XD40 could possibly be "Too Little Trigger Finger".

Can anyone elaborate on what exactly that means I'm doing (or not doing)?:shock:

·
Registered
9,629 Posts
According to the chart, my first session with my new XD40 could possibly be "Too Little Trigger Finger".

Can anyone elaborate on what exactly that means I'm doing (or not doing)?:shock:
"Too little trigger finger" means you are pressing the trigger too close to the tip of your finger. That makes you push the trigger toward your support side as you press. If you shift your finger's point of contact with the trigger away from your fingertip, it will help you to press more straight back. It only takes a small adjustment - a few millimeters in or out will do it.

·
Registered
80 Posts
"Too little trigger finger" means you are pressing the trigger too close to the tip of your finger. That makes you push the trigger toward your support side as you press. If you shift your finger's point of contact with the trigger away from your fingertip, it will help you to press more straight back. It only takes a small adjustment - a few millimeters in or out will do it.
I thought it might have been a wrist issue before seeing the chart and then reading your note.

I'll make that adjustment and check from there.

I appreciate the advice! ;)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

Thanks for asking the question. I have the same problem.:???:

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the answer. I have small hands, and a difficult time getting a good grip on some semi hand guns. My revolver do not seem to give me the problem and I imagine it is because I always swap in combat finger groove grips. I will try and adjust my hand a bit more and see what happens.

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If the ejection problem continues after you get your grip settled, there are some small changes that can be made to the angles at the tip of the ejector. This can alter the angle of the ejected case. But be sure you have made any other grip/trigger corrections first or you may dial the ejector, change your grip and have the path of the case wrong again.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts