Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my XD9 for about 5 years and she's seen over 12,000 rounds.

Lately, I've been having ejection and feed problems that might be related. The ejection problem occurs with each of 4 magazines: the last round fails to eject. It appears that without an underlying round in the magazine, the final case slips down off the extractor and lies loose in the chamber (rather than being smartly thrown out like its earlier brethren) instead of encountering the ejector.

The feed problems may be related to having loose cases floating around in the chamber during a reload. Essentially, I am finding that some rounds have their bullets stripped off and are left lying in the chamber. This blocks further feeding and was initially thought to be a squib. These bullets also have some to the jacket at their bases ripped off, probably from shearing action during a misfeed.

Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Are these factory rounds or reloads? I've never seen the bullet pulled out of the case on factory ammo on even the most misadjusted extractors. It sounds like your extractor could be loose but that doesn't create a "shearing" movement. The extractor pulls the round straight back so if the round and the chamber are in spec there should be no side to side stress on the round coming out of the chamber. You can do a quick test of the extractor tension by removing the slide and barrel and seeing if you can slip a loaded round under the extractor. If the extractor will hold the round through a little shake of the slide then it's close enough. I can't see how the ejection problems are mag related unless your mag lips or followers are deformed but you would have this problem on every round but probably not all four mags at the same time.

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Tune up the mags with new springs.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Are these factory rounds or reloads? I've never seen the bullet pulled out of the case on factory ammo on even the most misadjusted extractors. It sounds like your extractor could be loose but that doesn't create a "shearing" movement. The extractor pulls the round straight back so if the round and the chamber are in spec there should be no side to side stress on the round coming out of the chamber. You can do a quick test of the extractor tension by removing the slide and barrel and seeing if you can slip a loaded round under the extractor. If the extractor will hold the round through a little shake of the slide then it's close enough. I can't see how the ejection problems are mag related unless your mag lips or followers are deformed but you would have this problem on every round but probably not all four mags at the same time.
I just ran a quick diagnostic. With the slide disassembled, the extractor correctly holds either regular rounds or the snap caps I use for most trouble shooting...the regular rounds are held a little more securely.

However, when the gun is assembled and when the mag is empty, the round falls out of the extractor after about 1/3 of the slide movement. It appears to slip out to the side. Without the magazine, it will fall down through the empty well. So the extractor is not gripping when assembled. Ideas?

As for the rounds, they are my reloads, but they came from a batch that has a loose crimp (the press was misaligned). Keep in mind that this is a rare event...I have fired over 10,000 of these particular loads through the XD with no problems at all until now.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
At this point it still sounds like the extractor however the tension should not change when the slide goes on the frame. You can try adjusting the tension yourself or send it to SA. I'm sure Googling it will give you a few vids on it. I'd make sure it's clean first though. Sometimes gunk can get in the extractor channel and push out the extractor.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
At this point it still sounds like the extractor however the tension should not change when the slide goes on the frame. You can try adjusting the tension yourself or send it to SA. I'm sure Googling it will give you a few vids on it. I'd make sure it's clean first though. Sometimes gunk can get in the extractor channel and push out the extractor.
Thanks for the help. I will shortly perform a total take-down of the slide for cleaning. I looked for information on adjusting the tension of the extractor but couldn't find anything on that subject. Do you have any guidance? Also, am I correct in assuming that there are still no aftermarket extractors available after all these years? Finally, is it still SA policy to remove any after-market trigger parts, such as the ones I lovingly installed, if you send your gun back to them?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Thanks for the help. I will shortly perform a total take-down of the slide for cleaning. I looked for information on adjusting the tension of the extractor but couldn't find anything on that subject. Do you have any guidance? Also, am I correct in assuming that there are still no aftermarket extractors available after all these years? Finally, is it still SA policy to remove any after-market trigger parts, such as the ones I lovingly installed, if you send your gun back to them?
No aftermarket extractors that I've seen and I've returned guns to SA for warranty work with mods and as long as the mods were not relevant to the issue they didn't care.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I'd say ... Replace mag springs, and while your at it, replace the recoil spring. I'd go those 2 routes before sending it in to SA. It also doesn't hurt, after 12k rounds, to give her a refresher. So even if these don't correct the issue, atleast she got a "Tune Up" (as mentioned previously in this thread)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts