Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What will cause "limp" shell ejection from the XD. Went shooting today and the XD was shooting empties left, right, and up. But the cases were only clearing the pistol by like six inches.WWB, G Dots, and Brown Bear(6 FTFeed with steel cased 115 brown bear, the others no prob). Last outing it would spit shell 3 feet away, what gives?? Recoil spring maybe?? Its Stock and yhe pistol is 3-4 years old. TIA for any help or suggestions.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
Check and see if your ejector is broke.....the xd will still function but will only throw the cases so far. Second would be the guide rod.

·
Premium Member
3,955 Posts
A weak recoil spring flings brass farther out. Short of limp wristing (weak or relaxed grip) the only other reason for brass just clearing the pistol is low power loads. I have played with reloading at the low end of the power spectrum and what you describe is what happens with marginal loads. When they get just a bit weaker from what you describe they will stovepipe.
If your spring is stock, and it is doing this with WWB and Gold Dots (good solid velocity), then I would look to firming up your grip, and make sure the slide rails are lubed.

Well, that and what ajamesp51 suggests! :D

·
Premium Member
5,751 Posts
Also check the extractor to see if it is chipped and for fouling build-up in the claw and in the channel in the slide.

·
Premium Member
9,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok, I checked the ejector, it looks normal, as does the guide rod and spring (not bent, plenty of tension). Maybe the rails were dry. Thanks fellas.

PS It might have been the box of ammo, I did have to fire on one WWB round twice, I cracked the slide and saw a normal dimple, recocked and it fired on the second try. I know thats not safe but in C&R guns I refuse to eject them without a double strike, I had a 7.62x54r go off one time after I took it out when it did not fire on the 2nd strike. I was lucky, I warned everyone of the dud, I put the "business" end down in the sand and retreated. It went off 23seconds later. I give 1 minute before I mess with them further. I have a 3/8" hardend steel with a cap welded on one end (weighs 47lbs!) to cover the duds till I feel safe enough dispose of it.(who said UDT/EOD training isn't useful)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts