Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else had these? I do not think it has anything to do with the barrel, the barrel seems great and fits perfectly. I am using 9mm magazines, the pistol was a .40 to start. The problem is intermittent. All factory winchester white box range and target ammo. Seems the extractor is not grabbing the case. The extractor is clean and properly (very lightly) lubed.

Any pointers will be appreciated.

Rick

·
Registered
16 Posts
If you mean fails to eject the spent round and then tries to chamber a live round then yes, I'm having that problem as well. I suspect it is due to the fact that the 40 rim is a larger dia than the 9mm.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
That happened a few times to me as well. I figured the .40 slide & extractor design is not the same as the 9mm. It was ok for the range, but there was no way I was gonna trust my life to that setup.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
OK, so it is a common problem. Does anyone know of a SOLUTION!!! When I was doing my leg work before buying the conversion everything indicated that the extractor and other key parts were the same for both guns. Just drop in a high quality barrel (did that) then maybe switch mags, not always necessary, but I did that as well, and you HAVE the other gun, just wrong imprint on the slide!

My intent was to use the 9mm for action pistol. If there is no solution to this dis-functionality it does me little good!

HOPEFULLY someone has the secret and will be willing to share!

Thanks in advance if that is you!

Rick

·
Registered
112 Posts
did you try using the .40 mags instead? I don't have the conversion barrel, but I am interested in buying one. so its just a thought.

·
Registered
409 Posts
with a lifetime wnty, talk to efk. I would if I had the problem, I haven't changed calibers, but my 40 upgrade barrel works fine.

·
Super Moderator
8,970 Posts
How tight is the chamber? Can you drop a round into the chamber of the conversion barrel easily? Will the round drop free easlity? If it is tight, that can be an issue, since the case will swell and become tougher to extract. Just one common barrel problem. This is the reason why I cannot shoot S&B ammo in my XD-9.

I suggest trying some other ammo too, to see that if have the same problem?

OS

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It seems to fit just as it should. Once I clear the problem the fired case comes right out. Very frustrating. I know that if I had bought and XD 9 and could not put such a common ammo through it I would have never ended up with 3 .40's a 5" GAP and an SC 9mm. . . . . the SC 9mm has been fine with the same ammo, actually it may be the only thing I have ever used other than Fed HS in it.

I hope there is a fix to this! Thanks for the tips!

Rick

·
Registered
516 Posts
The 9mm conversion barrel will work most of the time. The breach face on .40 S&W/.357sig is wider than the 9mm breach face. Yes the extractor is the same but the 9mm rim does not go as far to the edge of the 40 S&W/.357sig breach face. So if all tolerances are working for you the extractor claw will grab the rim just enough to work. If the stacking tolerances are against you it will just miss grabbing the rim. A conversion barrel of this type is safe to use but I would not expect flawless function. Keep in mind you are trying to do something with a particular gun that it was not designed or tested to do.
.40 S&W and .357sig have the exact same rim diameter which is why those two calibers can be used interchangeably in the same firearm.
The magazine will have no effect as to if the extractor will reach the case rim. Replacing the extractor may help if the hook is worn or at the minimum spec.
Good luck.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Anyone have any ideas on an INEXPENSIVE alternative brand of ammo with a more pronounced rim??

I did try the .40 mags, just to see if they would work at all. Same problem, so once I find an ammo that works my .40 mags will likely work as well.

Certainly not what I had hoped for. It seems all of the info on the barrels makes it seem like you drop in the barrel and it is done. Proper function I guess is assumed.

The barrel seems to be doing its part, I am very happy with the barrel itself.

·
Registered
54 Posts
When I was trying to decide which caliber to buy I ended up going with 9mm because of this issue. I was going to get a .40 and a conversion barrel, but the owner of the shop I bought my gun from said he has seen this exact issue on more than one or two guns.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I am also having the same problem.... If there is a solution that I am not aware of, or one that was not posted here please advise.

Thanks

·
Registered
272 Posts
Okay, this may be a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyways. Since there are problems with the extractor on a 40 grabbing the 9mm round using a conversion barrel is it possible to change the extractor in a 40 slide to a 9mm extractor? and how difficult is this to do? also is it possible to buy a 9mm extractor? just curious. I am still new to hand guns and even though I bought the 40 I like to shoot the cheaper 9mm ammo and until I become more experienced I am more accurate with the 9mm versus the 40.

·
Registered
65 Posts
law_n_4_zer said:
Okay, this may be a dumb question but I am going to ask it anyways. Since there are problems with the extractor on a 40 grabbing the 9mm round using a conversion barrel is it possible to change the extractor in a 40 slide to a 9mm extractor? and how difficult is this to do? also is it possible to buy a 9mm extractor? just curious. I am still new to hand guns and even though I bought the 40 I like to shoot the cheaper 9mm ammo and until I become more experienced I am more accurate with the 9mm versus the 40.
The 40 & 9mm use the same extractor. The difference is the slide's breech face...which isn't something you could change easily.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hi Guys.

I've got the same problem. With the slide off the frame, insert a 9mm bullet into the extractor area. You will now see the 9mm case fits too loose (falls out) in the breech and the extractor does not hold the shell tight.

I removed my extractor and filed a small amount off the pad that rests against the slide. This allows it to move farther twords the center and now holds the 9mm case tightly. This was not enough of a change to affect how the gun works when shooting .40 cal.

I'm having intermittant problems with ejection, (not extraction). This may be solved by installing a 9mm return spring. I'm thinking the tighter .40 spring is not letting the slide slap back hard enough to eject the spent case so it's getting caught between the slide and the rear barrel lugs when the slide moves forward again.

I cant seem to post photos here on the board but if anyone wants to send me their e-mail addres I will send photos of the area I filed down.

[/img]

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
You will want to be careful messing with the extractor. Since you now must pay to send it to SA so they can replace it. If it is filed or tampered with in any way, not only will you have to pay shipping plus parts, I think they will stick you with a labor charge (since you caused the problem).

·
Registered
30 Posts
Howdy.

That may be true, but at least now it works. To me this is better than paying 160.00 for a conversion barrel that does'nt work half the time.

Are you saying they would not just sell me a new extractor if I needed one ? They are very simple to replace.

Happy New Year !!

·
Banned
1,224 Posts
According to Springfield, they will NOT ship these parts:

the frame, slide, locking block, trigger, barrel, firing pin, firing pin safety lever, firing pin safety retaining pin, firing pin damper spring, sear, sear spring, extractor, firing pin safety, firing pin safety spring, and the grip safety.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Hmmm, interesting. I wonder why that is. I can see not selling major parts like frame & slide but small wear items dont make sense.

I'm not worried about failure as I did'nt remove any material from a stress point, like where it flexes at the rear. Just a very little right behind the claw so it could move in a slight bit farther. The pad I filed down is still thicker than the rest of the extractor.

Cheers.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts