Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Went to install an EFK Firedragon 9mm conversion barrel in my new XD-40 service 4". I've used storm lake in the past and never had fitment issues. I've tried contacting EFK a couple times now with no response. I figured I would post some pics and see what you guys have to say. First, the barrel does not have a recessed section/notch for the lug of the guide spring rod, but a flat portion to just sit on. When I install the barrel and go to re-install the slide, it will not rack back more than the picture. At first I thought it was catching the hood, but it seems there is a section on the bottom by the lug where the barrel is at a slanted angle and rides on the frame. THe EFK barrel has significantly more material and at a steeper angle than the stock barrel and will not seat down on the frame and it seems then the hood will not clear. Does that seem correct to you all? I believe I will have to remove material from that section. THe pictures have red arrows pointing to the section of the barrel I'm talking about. Any help and insight would be greatly appreciated. Would love to hear from EFK or see other members EFK conversion barrels. If the barrel looks like it was not machined correctly let me know. Parts of it are still raw casting.

Attachments

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a .357 Sig conversion from EFK and I had the same issue... well it's not an issue. The barrels come semi-drop in, which means it needs to be fitted. They come a bit too big on purpose so you can get the tightest fit possible. It will take a lot of filing of the section you are pointing at and a little under the lug also. I'll see if I can get some pics up of my barrel so I can show you where I filed down.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Wait, do you have an XDM or an XD?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
2 words

"focus the dang camera!"

Yeah, math wasn't my strong point :)

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a .357 Sig conversion from EFK and I had the same issue... well it's not an issue. The barrels come semi-drop in, which means it needs to be fitted. They come a bit too big on purpose so you can get the tightest fit possible. It will take a lot of filing of the section you are pointing at and a little under the lug also. I'll see if I can get some pics up of my barrel so I can show you where I filed down.
Some pics would be very helpful. I dont mind fitting, just want to make sure I am going in the right direction. I wish EFK would get back to me.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heard back from EFK. They asked me to send the barrel back to them since it was very oversized. It seems there is a slight difference between manufacturing years. They said they would send me a new barrel.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Heard back from EFK. They asked me to send the barrel back to them since it was very oversized. It seems there is a slight difference between manufacturing years. They said they would send me a new barrel.
Mmkay. I'll still try to get some pics up tonight in for reference if anyone else has this problem.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Ok, so first, these are the spots that need to be filed down. BE AWARE OF HOW MUCH YOU ARE FILING. You can always file off more, but you can't undo what you've already done.

From the side.

Now, when engaged in the receiver, it needs to be able to lean back. That is important.

The feed ramp should also sit flat on the feed table (I don't know what it's called, but you can see it here). Below shows how the feed ramps on the receiver and barrel match up.

If you don't feel comfortable working on a $180 match barrel, I suggest you have a gunsmith do this. Mine is fairly sketchy, but it fits tight and functions without issue. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I received the new barrel and it fit very well. Shot very accurate and no feeding or extraction issues. I am using factory 9mm magazines as well.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just got an EFK 9mm conversion barrel for my XD 40 service model (4"). It seems to fit well, but I have occasional extraction / stovepipe problems with it. Probably about 1 in 50 rounds gets a stove pipe. I'm using Sprinfield factory 9mm magazines.

I sent email to EFK yesterday, haven't heard from them yet, but it hasn't been long.

Is this the sort of thing that filing and polishing will fix?

The XD is flawless with the stock barrel, I've put thousands of rounds through it without problems.

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sorry for such late reply. The stovepipes are coming from the fact that the XD40 extractor is not the same as the 9mm extractor. Thus, it will not grip properly all the time. Thicker rimmed 9mm ammunition will reduce extraction failures. If you want to do something to your gun to help it with the 9mm, I did a fix video a while back. Here is the forum link:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/110774-xd40-357-9mm-problem-fix.html

·
Registered
4,445 Posts
Sorry for such late reply. The stovepipes are coming from the fact that the XD40 extractor is not the same as the 9mm extractor. Thus, it will not grip properly all the time. Thicker rimmed 9mm ammunition will reduce extraction failures. If you want to do something to your gun to help it with the 9mm, I did a fix video a while back. Here is the forum link:
http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/sa-xd-xd-m-accessories/110774-xd40-357-9mm-problem-fix.html

Its not the extractor that is different its the breach face is larger to accomadate the 40, the 9mm case is smaller then the 40.

don

·
Registered
709 Posts
Its not the extractor that is different its the breach face is larger to accomadate the 40, the 9mm case is smaller then the 40.

don
+1. This is what I was really meaning. The frames on the .40 and 9mm may be the same, but the slides are completely different to accommodate the different calibers. Breach face is the big difference. I managed to hide the issue by adding a little more reach to the extractor, albeit the extractor life may shrink considerably. I've yet to break my extractor using .40 or .357 sig ammo after the modification, but who knows what the future may hold!

·
Registered
862 Posts
2 words

"focus the dang camera!"

Yeah, math wasn't my strong point :)
lol I was thinking the same thing. I was a professional photographer before and cringed at these. Cameras have minimum focusing distance. Better to be a bit further away and clear...and possibly crop than to be six inches away and supper blurry.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts