Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was at my local gun shop and the owner who is a friend of mine got me to help him fix his Sig P-6 to make the D.A. trigger pull a bit lighter . We took out the mainspring and heated the first 3 coils of the spring with a propane torch and when it cooled, we installed it back into the pistol .
WOW!!!!! Now you can pull the trigger on D.A. with not much effort at all! Just three coils of the mainspring heated up makes the spring lose its temper a little and lets the gun shoot a lot better on D.A. and still be relaible on the S.A.
Just thought I'd pass this on to everyone who has helped me out a gun modifications ;)

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Or you can spend $5 on a Wolff mainspring for a lighter DA/SA trigger pull. I wouldn't trust my life to something that was heated with a blowtorch:rolleyes:
Chances are you should buy a backup Wolff spring since that one you heated will probably fail at some point (remember some of them are 25 years old...mine is 28 years old)

Please don't mess with the integrity of your firearms. The thread title says "free"....you usually get what you pay for!

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
Or you can spend $5 on a Wolff mainspring for a lighter DA/SA trigger pull. I wouldn't trust my life to something that was heated with a blowtorch:rolleyes:
Chances are you should buy a backup Wolff spring since that one you heated will probably fail at some point (remember some of them are 25 years old...mine is 28 years old)
+1million

just get a lighter wolff mainspring.. its a 10 minute swap.

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
Because ruining the integrity of the internal components of your trigger group is always better than trusting a professional to handle the modifications to the device that you will entrust your life with.

Don't be cheap. Get it done right. I have seen people do the same thing to the springs in a car to lower it... bad idea bud.

·
Premium Member
16,913 Posts
Stay tuned for Darwin Awards: 2 How I killed my friend with a blow torch

·
Registered
69 Posts
You might have put the heat to 3 coils, but the heat didn't just stop there. I would think that some of the temper has been removed from several coils above that. Since they have been weakened, eventually you will lose spring pressure, and start to get light strikes. Might not be a big deal at the range, but if you are carrying the gun for self defense, it could be a real problem.
You can go to Top Gun Supply, SIG Mainspring - P225/226/228/229/239 Old Style - Top Gun Supply get a 225 mainspring and do it right for just a few bucks.

·
Premium Member
1,858 Posts
Not to pile on, but if you get the Wolff mainspring pack, you get several weights so you can get the lightest possible D/A pull without getting light strikes (or err on the side of caution and go up another level).

·
Registered
346 Posts
+1

1 - 8 of 8 Posts