Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Suggestions for ear protection for home defense that won't break the bank?

One kind I've come across is Peltor SportTac.

·
Banned
20,016 Posts
I have Caldwell Low Profile. No complaints. Got them from Optics Planet and I believe the shipping is free without having to spend a million dollars.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
+1 for Cherryxdz ....... I also have some Howard Leight, and they are great. They actually amplify the surrounding noises until something is fired. I am able to hear birds, traffic from a long way off, bugs, .... even a rattle-snake from a hill quite far off.... but the second a gun fires, it is muted and my hearing is not affected at all. Would be great .... IF you have the time to put them on in the case of a HD situation.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
Suggestions for ear protection for home defense that won't break the bank?

One kind I've come across is Peltor SportTac.
$349

oh... IlliNOis.

sorry to hear that.

Just make sure everyone else in the house has their ears on. don't want anyone to go deaf.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
$349

oh... IlliNOis.

sorry to hear that.
Nothing to put on

No switches or volume controls to mess with

No batteries to replace

Will not only protect my hearing, it will protect my wife's and any other household guests

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I like the idea of the can, but I really don't want to send the ATF my fingerprints. Call me crazy.

·
Registered
11,703 Posts
I like the idea of the can, but I really don't want to send the ATF my fingerprints. Call me crazy.
i'd rather preserve what little hearing i have left and spare others from the same fate as i have found myself in.

·
Premium Member
8,307 Posts
What makes you think they don't already have them, and perhaps your DNA also......:shock:

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
i'd rather preserve what little hearing i have left and spare others from the same fate as i have found myself in.
I guess it's a personal decision.

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I'm very careful with ear protection at range but gotta ask - all you guys who show defenders here are going to put those on for HD?

·
Registered
2,607 Posts
Electronic is the way to go imo. Not only do they protect your ears but they give you ninja like hearing. I've put mine on around the house and it amplifies your hearing. I have impact sports. I can only imagine with an expensive pair.

·
Registered
10,949 Posts
I'm very careful with ear protection at range but gotta ask - all you guys who show defenders here are going to put those on for HD?
I have had my alarm go off for no reason during the night. Does that maybe once or twice a year. I got out of bed so quickly and grabbed my gun, you would think someone had shocked me with a cattle prod. Hearing protection was not running through my mind.

·
Registered
254 Posts
Luckily I never had a HD situation, but was wondering if hearing a gun without hearing protection for the 1st time - in a house, might freeze me up. All range time and classes have you wear protection. Would be nice to fire a gun a couple of times with out it to get used to the sound.

·
Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Electronic is the way to go imo. Not only do they protect your ears but they give you ninja like hearing. I've put mine on around the house and it amplifies your hearing. I have impact sports. I can only imagine with an expensive pair.
I have the Pro Ears Gold, and I wear them every time I shoot. I agree with the 'ninja like' hearing comment, I have used them to listen for the wildlife in the wooded area of our property at night....amazing.

For home defense, I ran a drill at our home.

A healthy person can get from kicking in the front door (which will set off the alarm), up the stairs, and to the entrance to the Master bed room, in less time it would take me to react to the alarm from being asleep, get out of the bed, and grab my HD pistol. Absolutely no time to put on eyes and ears in our situation.

If my wife were alone, her response time is longer because the safe is on my side of the bed.

Granted, an intruder would have to know where to go, but the drill showed us how little time there may be in a real situation.

Even if I were to have the time to put on eyes and ears, the alarm and barking dog would negate whatever hearing advantage I may have.

Just my $0.02, quickly going down in value.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Im surprised that people wear ear protection for a HD situation. Unless I misunderstood the thread title?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts