Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was not exactly sure of the location for this thread, BUT, since I own a XDs 9 MM, I thought this might be the place......although this thread pertains to firing any weapon for practice, using protective hearing devices (ear muffs). There are those of us that fire weapons, that also wear hearing aids. As we all know there are both standard ear muffs, as well as electronic models available.
My question is, do those of you that wear hearing aids (which increases sounds), wear them inside your shooting ear muffs ( which decreases sound )? Is wearing the aids recommended? I do have an upcoming audio appointment, in a couple weeks, and will discuss this with the audio folks, then, but just wondering what others out there are doing. :?:

·
Premium Member
128,172 Posts
Can't you just remove the hearing aid?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I remove my hearing aids and use Howard Leight electronic muffs. They actually work better than the hearing aids in understanding conversation at home or the range.

Dennis

·
Registered
941 Posts
Was not exactly sure of the location for this thread, BUT, since I own a XDs 9 MM, I thought this might be the place......although this thread pertains to firing any weapon for practice, using protective hearing devices (ear muffs). There are those of us that fire weapons, that also wear hearing aids. As we all know there are both standard ear muffs, as well as electronic models available.
My question is, do those of you that wear hearing aids (which increases sounds), wear them inside your shooting ear muffs ( which decreases sound )? Is wearing the aids recommended? I do have an upcoming audio appointment, in a couple weeks, and will discuss this with the audio folks, then, but just wondering what others out there are doing. :?:
I have found it impossible to wear my hearing aids while wearing good active hearing protection, but it is ok, because I just turn the volume "up" on the ear pro and hear better than when I have my aids in to begin with.

I would not recommend trying to keep your aids in while your muffs are on, I just get feedback and it is even more uncomfortable than muffs alone are.

Get a high quality pair of active ear pro, like Peltors, and you are good to go.

·
Registered
799 Posts
This is a good question for your audiologist.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I am over 80 & still shoot a lot. I always take out my hearing aids & put in both ear plugs & ear muffs. Works great, but maybe I should get the electronic ones too. I guess I am a little late on taking care of my ears .

·
Registered
388 Posts
I am 74 and take out my hearing aids, put in the ear plugs and then put on electronic ear muffs. I want to save as much of the hearing I have left. Take care of your hearing as you will miss it when it starts going away and hearing aids are not as good as natural hearing.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Can't imagine wearing my hearing aids at the range. Seems magnifying sound at the same time you are trying to minimize it is kind of self-defeating. I agree with foxytwo, take out the hearing aids, put in ear plugs and put muffs over the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts