Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Witness elite match in 9mm and love it. Now I'm thinking about playing in the 10mm market. Does anyone own a witness in 10mm? Pro's and Con's? Has anyone bought a conversion for their witness?

Thanks.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
It's my most accurate semi-auto and a heck of a lot of fun to shoot.

You'll want to start reloading, if you don't already ;) ... The 10mm can be kind of expensive compared to a 9mm

Mine is the Witness Match ... No I haven't bought a conversion, but have thought about it.

If you get a 10mm ... It is mandatory to shoot some Buffalo Bore ammo ... It's about as close as you can get to what a 10mm is supposed to be :mrgreen:

Have you been here - tanfoglioparts.com : Henning Wallgren, Tanfoglio Parts, Tanfoglio Specialty Store, World Wide Shipping

Oh, and because we're talking 10mm .... I'm glad you're not looking at one of those wussified .40's and are instead considering a real .40 caliber weapon :p

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yup,
Been to that site before. You may have passed it on to me at AZS. Personally, I'm not a fan of the .40 and I've been looking at their witness compact model. I figured if I didn't like the 10mm, I could at least buy another slide in .45acp. I need to call them and find out if the slides can be changed out for the match models. If that's the case, I may be able to get away with buying a slide for my 9mm.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
I've heard of people doing the slide swap on the match.
But I'm not sure you can go from 9mm to 10mm ... If I remember right, there is a size difference ... 45 or 10mm can accept any conversion. That I know for sure. Sorry, I can't seem to locate where all the conversion information is on the net ... But memory says the 9mm to 10mm is a no-go ... Hopefully I am wrong.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
They are absolute tack drivers. They are probably the best kept secret in handgunning. My cousin has one, and it is awesome.

·
Registered
5,752 Posts
i carry buffalo bore ammo in my 40 cal and it sure packs one hell pf a punch. i cant even imagine how good their 10mm is.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I had the Smith 1076. Great gun but I got tired of never being able to find ammo for it and the good ammo is ultra pricey. I finally sold it and made money on the deal. Great ballistics, just hard to find ammo.

·
Registered
2,474 Posts
And I've got a Smith 1006. It is one of the most accurate handguns I've ever fired. I think there is something inherently accurate about the 10mm cartridge. I love everything about the 10. If I didn't have the 1006 I would get the Witness Elite for sure. I held one and it fit my hand like it was made for me.

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
i carry buffalo bore ammo in my 40 cal and it sure packs one hell pf a punch. i cant even imagine how good their 10mm is.
From an exchange LMS and I had about the 10mm ... It's just to good not to quote :mrgreen:
You ever shot Buffalo Bore? Mother of god and all things holy!!!

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh boy, I can't wait for Tuesday. I ordered an EAA Witness compact in 10mm. I can't wait to shoot my new boomstick. I have pretty large hands and this is the first compact pistol that I can actually grip the entire frame without needing a pinky extender on the mag or my pinky sliding under the fram. I can't wait.
I figure if the 10mm is a little too much for the gun, I can order a conversion for .45 or 9mm.

One area of concern is aftermarket springs. I looked at Wolf's website and tangfolioparts website and did not see any heavy springs for the 10mm. Anyone ever order springs for these?

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Witness update:

Well, I bought an EAA Witness compact in 10mm and I have to say it is quite frankly the BIGGEST PILE OF S$*T I have ever owned. I think high points are better. The first one I received had a bad magazine right off from the start. It wouldn't hold the slide back on empty because the mag would not stay high enough in the frame, which in turn made it a jam-O-matic. Plus it shot low and left. Thankfully, my dealer ordered the gun through Davidson's and I was able to exchange it for another one.

Witness Compact Round Two: So I picked up my second witness. Tested it at the shop and the mag held the slide back. O.K. off to a good start so I thought. I took it home, hosed it down with gun scrubber, cleaned and lubed it and I took it to the range. I take the pistol out of the case and notice immediately that the red nail polish they put on the front sight is now gone. No biggie, I load a mag in it, fire two shots and it jambs. Clear the jamb, fire three more shots, and it jambs again. Only this time, the round is smashed against the top of the barrel. I eject the round and the slide shoved it so hard against the barrel it pushed the bullet into the case, this is a big deal for 10mm. I load the mag again, slap it into the gun and the slide automatically closes. :eek: WTF I think, I empty the chamber, lock the slide, drop the mag, re-load the mag, shove it into the gun again and the slide once again closes automatically. I empty that mag, with more jamming issues. Re-load the mag, shove it into the frame and it closes automatically. At this point I have decided that it's not a keeper and it's dangerous. I struggle with the gun to finish the rest of the ammo that I have for it and kept the three rounds that had the bullets shoved into the case. I do have to say this pistol was at least accurate, when it worked. Took it back to my dealer the very next day and now I'm waiting for my new XD .45 Tactical to arrive.

I will never again own an EAA Witness pistol. EVER! As I stated earlier, I do own an EAA Witness Elite Match and it is excellent. If you decide to purchase one of these, I would highly recommend that the lowest model you purchase is the Elite Match and if you decide you must have a base model Witness, make sure you have a good relationship with your dealer, he buy's it through Davidsons, and you have infinite patience and time. Buying one of these is an absolute crapshoot. I've heard some people have had no issues at all whereas others like me had nothing but problems. As far as I'm concerned, EAA has NO QUALITY CONTROL program on their witness line of pistols whatsoever. Buyer beware and good luck.

·
Registered
18 Posts
If you go to the EAA website , gunsmithing, tuning magazines, you will find a couple of adjustments you can do to the mags. (straighten the mag spring and checking the clearance of the mag. lips ) A little research helps on any new item you pay hard cash for nowadays...:D:D

·
Registered
375 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you go to the EAA website , gunsmithing, tuning magazines, you will find a couple of adjustments you can do to the mags. (straighten the mag spring and checking the clearance of the mag. lips ) A little research helps on any new item you pay hard cash for nowadays...:D:D
For the first gun, that wouldn't have worked since I think they stamped the hole on the mag in the wrong place. Second gun it might of worked but then I bought an XD service and haven't had any problems. Personally I think a $400 gun should run right out of the box without having to "tinker" with it. Heck, the crappy Davis .380 my buddy gave me runs better than that thing did.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
From an exchange LMS and I had about the 10mm ... It's just to good not to quote :mrgreen:
If you like the Buffalo Bore try the original Norma load if you can find it.:roll: It will ruin you for for anything lighter.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts