Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Welp, I was able to pick up the my new gun today. Of course I went straight to the Bullseye range at the rifle club.

The sights on this thing were way off. Luckily there are adjustable, but it took about 50 rounds before I got it dialed in and by then it was getting too late to do much else.

I am very pleased with the accuracy of the gun. In one of my final 5 shot groups I had a couple of flyers, but managed a 5" group. Nothing to brag about, but the center 3 rounds were touching. That was at 25 yards, standing.

The gun feels enough like a 1911 that it's easy to think of it as one. However, the safety is in the wrong spot and doesn't move right. I found that I had to use my trigger finger to turn on the safety, but could disengage it easily with my thumb. The slide release is hopelessly too far away to use your thumb on and the ginormous safety is in your way to boot. You would need to be in the NBA to reach that thing. The grip feels like it was made for my hand and I can reach the mag release with no alteration to my grip at all. Also the front and back straps are cross-hatched or whatever you call it for a high traction grip. It feels locked in.

One major difference from the 1911 is that the safety does not lock the slide. That just freaks out my mind for some reason. From a competition stand point it's cool that I can load up without having to take the safety off, and am less likely to try and holster a weapon with a hair trigger and the safety off.

The trigger is super nice. I need to adjust the overtravel screw, for a custom shop gun they did a horrible job on that. (I don't think they did anything at all.) My highly tuned trigger finger says it's in the 3.5 - 4 lb range. There's just the tiniest bit of stacking and then a superbly crisp break. The reset is very short, though not 1911 short. That should improve after I get the overtravel screw set right though. There will be trigger mods coming, this is going to my USPSA Limited gun after all. I think when I am done it will be about 2.5 lbs and so close to a 1911 that it would be hard to tell the difference.

The brass was flinging out about 15 feet and rolling about that far after hitting the concrete. If I was going to shoot a lot of 10mm out of it I would be stepping up the spring weight. I will be ordering a .40 barrel for it though, and I am going to wait until I get that setup before dicking with spring weights.

The CZ 75 design really lets you get a high grip and with that and the impressive weight of the gun, the 10mm was easily tamed. I don't think my splits would be impressive but the recoil was about 40% less than what my G20 kicks.

This gun is really what the BrenTen could have been. I could throw the DA parts in this thing and it would practically be a BrenTen. (But why screw it up?)

·
Banned
0 Posts
Wow, that is a beast

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think I shall name her, Orsa d'Argenta. Which I think is Italian for silver female bear. Probably just Orsa for short. Every gun needs a name, IMO.

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
Very nice indeed, congrats!

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
The speed holes are nice :cool:
Price?

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
Freakin gorgeous.

Want. Bad.

·
Registered
7,065 Posts
(*_*) When I was at the NRA convention in April, I looked at the EAA display area which was pretty big and they had their base handguns which were nice like everybody else, but what stood out was their selection of custom/competition guns which I had never seen before up close. I got to handle several of them and all seem to be unique/special in their own way. Congrats, gun looks outstanding.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
Mmmmph!

This reminds me I need an Elite Match. And another oddball caliber. Good thing they make them in .38 Super!

·
Registered
2,583 Posts
I'm going to get mine in the boring 9mm.

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One cool thing about these guns is you can buy a whole slew of top ends for it in whatever caliber you want.

·
Registered
19,923 Posts
They offer them for the limited? Figure it might require a little fitting. I know the basic large frame Witness is no big deal.

·
Premium Member
127,978 Posts
I think I shall name her, Orsa d'Argenta. Which I think is Italian for silver female bear. Probably just Orsa for short. Every gun needs a name, IMO.
Not in my opinion. I have owned hundreds of guns and they shall forever remain nameless. Congrats on your pistol though!

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Not in my opinion. I have owned hundreds of guns and they shall forever remain nameless. Congrats on your pistol though!
What, are you afraid of commitment? If you name them you feel you can't get rid of them without the guilt? Or is it giving "her" a sexy name leads to an inappropriate relationship?

I'm just joshing Slugger, I don't name mine either, but I might if I got me one of those. She's too pretty not to have a name.

Nice going too!

·
Premium Member
1,824 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Installed the fiber optic front sight and Henning guide rod today. Easiest front sight install ever, LOL.

Did my first detail strip of the pistol too. Man that sear cage is a beach to get back in. Took me 30 minutes of messing with it.

My trigger is crooked. Apparently it's common due to the roll pin they use. Doesn't effect the function at all, but I kinda want the Henning flat trigger anyways to complete the 1911 illusion. Plus you know, a trigger outside the trigger guard seems a little unsafe to me.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts