Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So I am in the market for a new gun. It will be primarily a HD gun. In my price range, this seems to be the most intriguing option to me.

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

I really only had a few specific criteria I was looking for: 9mm, at least 15 round capacity, and have a rail to accept a light. Anyone have any personal experience with these?

I know many here have owned/shot/used a Witness. But their line has been so expansive over the years I was hoping for feedback from some of the more recent purchases.

It's 16 round, 1 mag, adjustable sight.

Just to clarify it is a Witness. It is not a SAR B6P or a Pavona. Thanks in advance for any input.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I think it's a good call.

They're reliable, solid shooters with good accuracy.

If you can find a ful-metal framed one, it's even better. Very soft shooter.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I never hear anything bad about them but then again the crowd discussing them are also the people saying the Taurus millennium is one of the best handguns ever made. personally I would spring for a gun in the same price range that comes with 2 mags, Caniks, and soon to be extinct Stoeger Cougar come to mind.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Canik's are just north of my price range. And yes, need to keep it under $300.

BTW, the Taurus PT111 g2 is actually a solid gun. At least in my experience with them. I don't own one but 2 buddies do. Comparable to the XDsc in terms of size. Taurus must be actually improving on their QC significantly the last year or two. It also made my list of prospects, but ultimately decided it didn't offer me anything I didn't already have.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I have no personal experience beyond dry fire with them, and I don't believe they are the same general quality as the witness, but the SCCY CPX comes with 2 mags(although you don't get much for the extra mag since they are 10 rounders). not really an endorsement, just something else to consider as well.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
I never hear anything bad about them but then again the crowd discussing them are also the people saying the Taurus millennium is one of the best handguns ever made. personally I would spring for a gun in the same price range that comes with 2 mags, Caniks, and soon to be extinct Stoeger Cougar come to mind.
I used to have one; it was, iirc, my first 9mm.

I probably put 5-6k rounds through it, mainly lacquered steel (Wolf). Never had an issue. I always thought it was sweet that, even though I bought it at the height of the AWB, it still had a 15rd magazine, not a 10rd...not sure if it was that old of stock (I think I paid $279, new), or if someone put the wrong mag in the case in Italy...

Sold it to a buddy of mine after a couple years. He still has it, running strong.

Honestly? I may have to pick up another one one of these days. Never hurts to have a cheap loaner.

PS: I'm not a Taurus guy. ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
used to have one what? I listed 3 firearms in that post, the Taurus and caniks didn't exist at the time and if I recall, the Cougar was probably still being made by Beretta(which I'm guesing is what you meant since you mentioned italy? if that's the case you might hurry, rumors on the wind is that the cougar is no longer being made but I still see them in the LGS, although a lot of them are being clearanced.

·
Registered
18,867 Posts
I had an EAA and it was a fine gun, I think the polymer witness is a good option.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
used to have one what? I listed 3 firearms in that post, the Taurus and caniks didn't exist at the time and if I recall, the Cougar was probably still being made by Beretta(which I'm guesing is what you meant since you mentioned italy? if that's the case you might hurry, rumors on the wind is that the cougar is no longer being made but I still see them in the LGS, although a lot of them are being clearanced.
Witness.

·
Registered
463 Posts
gotcha

·
Registered
5,759 Posts

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
Canik's are just north of my price range. And yes, need to keep it under $300.

BTW, the Taurus PT111 g2 is actually a solid gun. At least in my experience with them. I don't own one but 2 buddies do. Comparable to the XDsc in terms of size. Taurus must be actually improving on their QC significantly the last year or two. It also made my list of prospects, but ultimately decided it didn't offer me anything I didn't already have.
Taurus had to settle 4 big lawsuits for accidental discharges of the G1 PT 111 Millennium.
The new PT 111 is a completely redesigned gun, in fact is one of the best, (if not the best) on their line of weapons.
EAA are very good and reliable guns at low cost, most of them are CZ clones, but very well made.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
EAA are very good and reliable guns at low cost, most of them are CZ clones, but very well made.
EAA is just the importer. All steel Witnesses are made in Italy by Tanfoglio, same company that made the Springfield Armory P9.

I believe the polymer framed guns are made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey. They are identical to the B6P save a few markings.

·
Registered
9,425 Posts
EAA is just the importer. All steel Witnesses are made in Italy by Tanfoglio, same company that made the Springfield Armory P9.

I believe the polymer framed guns are made by Sarsilmaz in Turkey. They are identical to the B6P save a few markings.

You're absolutely right, thanks !

·
Registered
443 Posts
They don't have a decocker, so I am of the opinion, while cheap, and functional, would not be a good defensive gun for someone on a budget. The Ruger 9E and Smith SD9VE can be found under $300 regularly. The Canik is superior to the Ruger and Smith, and can be found for $320 regularly.

·
Registered
29,864 Posts
They don't have a decocker, so I am of the opinion, while cheap, and functional, would not be a good defensive gun for someone on a budget. The Ruger 9E and Smith SD9VE can be found under $300 regularly. The Canik is superior to the Ruger and Smith, and can be found for $320 regularly.
It's not that difficult to decock. Thumb between hammer & pin, drop hammer.

Or, just use the safety and carry it cocked & locked.

Definitely take one over the pistols you mentioned.

·
Registered
9,903 Posts
I used to carry an all-steel Witness Compact daily (for about 3 yrs and then occaisionally for a few more) and never had a ND manually decocking the hammer...it's pretty standard procedure on conventional DA/SA pistols.
I bought an SAR K2 .45 a couple of months ago that operates this way... all CZ patterned pistols do. I was a little surprised to read in the owner's manual instructions on how to safely decock it vs dire warnings of death and dismemberment should you even attempt it.

BTW, the K2 is a beautiful (IMO, of course) all steel 14+1 45acp double stack made by Sarsilmaz and imported by EAA. If the BP6P is anywhere near as well made and finished as the K245 (the one I fondled at my LGS seemed to be), I'd be happy to own one.
Firearm Gun Trigger Airsoft Air gun

1 - 20 of 81 Posts