Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am contemplating modifications to the XD9 I just received, mainly because I plan to carry it and dont want the slide to wear badly as a result of being in a holster.

I like the idea of DuraCoat because its cheap, and because Ajames does it and I could have him install some Night sights while duracoating and kill 2 birds with 1 stone. (I would want a generic black finish..so the color options available arent really a draw for me) However, I did read a thread recently in which a guy had a terrible experience with Duracoating from Ajames flaking immediately (I know its supposed to cure for 2 weeks...but it still shouldnt flake after 2-3 days of curing)

I like the idea of GunKote because it seems to be nearly impenetrable/scratchable, etc. Though it is more expensive...I am willing to pay for a finish I can trust not to chip or defect. Also, because I plan to send the gun to Rich @ Canyon Creek eventually, he could do the GunKote at the same time as a trigger job and also install some Trijicons at the same time..killing 3 birds with 1 stone.

For now I wont be carrying the gun and have some armadillo on order to hopefully protect the slide for a little bit.

What are your opinions of these two options?? Am I better off spending the money on a GunKote, or is the cheaper Duracoat just as good for less $$?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I'm not trying to take away from the forum's vendors but my slide is currently at CCR for a fresh coat. I am getting a ceramic filled coating instead of Gun-Kote. It's supposed to more abrasion resistant per CCR. The only reason I didn't go with James is because my slide is stainless in finish. James' operation isn't setup to media blast parts on a large scale and to parkerize. Duracoat won't stick to the stainless slide really well unless it is prepped properly. It's much different for the already black slides. Duracoat loves that stuff.
I'd give James a shot. He coated many guns already. If the man says two weeks, give it two weeks. He knows his stuff. 8)

·
Registered
71 Posts
Hey I just had my slide Duracoated and I have holstered it 3 days after it was done. Depending on were you live, there is a local place in Pittsburgh Pa called United Arms Services. He actualy Blast's the parts the Parkerizez them, then Duracoats them with 2 coats. If you would like the info let me know. Alex is a personal friend of mine and I got to watch every step of the proccess!!! :D

·
Registered
517 Posts
I had the slide on myXD40SC duracoated by AJames when he intalled my TruGlo TFO sights. A fine job and absolutly no problems. I went with matte black.

·
Registered
104 Posts
GarySTL said:
I had the slide on myXD40SC duracoated by AJames when he intalled my TruGlo TFO sights. A fine job and absolutly no problems. I went with matte black.
+1 Here. TFO sights and matte black finish on my xd-9 service. Very, very, very sweet!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts