Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I purchased a XD 9 Sc used, the slide on it has a shinny hard chrome finish on it, which I dont like at all.

I looked around and found the Duracoat website.

There are 2 types of paint available from Duracoat, the RESIN that needs to be mixed with the reducer, this one takes about 24 hrs for it to dry and can be applied to almost anything you can imagine, and they have 65 colors available. (safe for plastic but requires to be airbrushed)

Durabake is an ENAMEL, on the other hand needs to be baked in the oven for 3 Hrs at 180 degrees, only comes in 11 colors.

Has anybody experienced any of this products?

And will the Polymer pieces on my xd be safe in the oven for 3 Hrs, or will they melt?

I need to decide which one to buy so I can get busy with the proyect some time next week, originally only the slide was going to get some work done, but then i decided to color match a few other things, Im mostly worried about the plastic magazine plates.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
DuraCoat products are really not all that durable if you carry the firearm. The friction from being holstered and unholstered just doesn't stand up. It's not a bad finish for polymer parts (NOT the bake product), but still will rub off on corners, etc from holstering.

No, don't bake your polymer parts at 300. a few guys have attempted this in the past. Some got lucky, others didn't.

If you want a durable finish for metal, use a bake on product like Moly Resin, CeraKote, or KG GunKote. DuraCoat was good back in the day when it's all we had, but a lot has changed in the past years.

Like I said, it's not bad for polymer pieces and I've had rifles that are still going strong after many years (but then again, you don't holster rifles). The few frames that I used DuraCoat on show wear marks from holstering around the sharp edges.

The biggest thing about coloring a firearm is surface preparation. you MUST blast (sandblast) parts and make sure they are clean enough to eat off of in order to appy any of the above mentioned products.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Duracoat is very durable on the polymer frames, not on slides. My best friend's gun is Duracoated and he's had no problems with his leather holster.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Duracoat is very durable on the polymer frames, not on slides. My best friend's gun is Duracoated and he's had no problems with his leather holster.
Yeah, guess I should have specified. You will have less holster wear with a leather holster, but only if you remember to keep it clean and free of the debris that builds up (sand, dust, abrasives...). Polymer holsters will eat through it like butter.

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
I agree. I just think a lot of people bash Duracoat because of it's reputation on slides. It's not as bad as everyone makes it seem.

·
Premium Member
2,694 Posts
The slide isn't hard chrome, it's made out of stainless steel.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the fast response, I never said my slide was made out of hard chrome. Like I previously mentioned it is a used gun, and the original owner had a costum hard chrome finish put on it, its shinny like the bumpers on my truck, totally HATE it. It would be nice if it was a range toy but it will be my carry gun, looking for something more dull.

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts
Thanks for the fast response, I never said my slide was made out of hard chrome. Like I previously mentioned it is a used gun, and the original owner had a costum hard chrome finish put on it, its shinny like the bumpers on my truck, totally HATE it. It would be nice if it was a range toy but it will be my carry gun, looking for something more dull.
May I suggest that you offer up your
slide as an exchange for a like length
slide from another forum member.

Hello, I am sure that someone on forum
would love that 'bing' and gladly trade
out with you. The WTT forum might just
get you some action and cost would be
less than $10 for shipping for either of
you. :cool:

Ed

·
Super Moderator
10,574 Posts

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
if only it would have fit my 9 service, i would have my slide in the mail yesterday!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts