Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to Duracoat a military Mosin Nagant stock? I'm wondering if the cosmoline sweating out will adversely affect, or cause the finish to chip and flake.

·
Premium Member
3,006 Posts
Has anyone tried to Duracoat a military Mosin Nagant stock? I'm wondering if the cosmoline sweating out will adversely affect, or cause the finish to chip and flake.

If your worried you could sand it down and primer it.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you are going to Duracoat wood you need to get all the grease and oil out of the wood first.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you are going to Duracoat wood you need to get all the grease and oil out of the wood first.
From what I understand about the properties of cosmoline, it's impossible to get all of it out of porous materials like wood. That's why I asked the question. I'd love to take a military configuration M44 and have it Duracoated either coyote brown or in an urban camo, but obviously I don't want to spend that much money if it's not going to last.

·
Banned
3,651 Posts
Your surface has to be prestine clean in order for the DuraCoat to 'stick'

You could sand it down and use some sort of a filler, then duracoat it, that could theoretically work.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
I wouldn't mess with it on a mosin stock. I would sand down the stock, steam out the dents, and then finish it in an oil finish. I would pick up one of those synthetic montecarlo stocks and refinish it how you want.

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
NO WAY !!!!! Keep her stock in my opinion , they are a peice of history ;).

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Well , to each his own .

1 - 9 of 9 Posts