Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How durable is the finish on the black steel slides of the XD's I have heard they are easily scratched. Is the finish more corrosion resistant than traditional blued slides? I really like the looks of the black steel slides but in a carry situation, I have always leaned toward stainless.

How well does the finish on the XD's stack up to the tenifer finish as on the Glocks? I am very impressed with the tenifer finish.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
The finish is typically described as "crap". While I don't remember really scratching my stock XD finish, it did rust like it was its job. Rusty fingerprint overnight if I touched it after getting out of the shower. Huge rusty stain on my under-shirt carrying IWB. I was very thorough about Eezox-ing the bugger, which worked well except where the Eezox would get rubbed off during carry...

So, I got it Armory Koted, and things are happy in XD land now.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
I think people have speculated that it's the same as KG GunKote.

I don't know what it is exactly, but it's one of the finishes the Springfield custom shop will apply.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I lucked out and have on of the better finishes. I have had zero problems with rust so far, but then again I don't carry my service XD. However, I have handled it numerous times without wiping it down afterwards and haven't gotten any rust marks.

I would like to think that the finishes are a little better on the newer XD's but I have nothing to support that statement. Try and get a SS one if you don't have an aversion to shiny guns. It only costs a little bit more and takes a lot less maintenance.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I havn't had this experience. The finish on my XD-9 SC seems fine. I guess I have put around a 6-7 hundred rounds through her so far. Luck of the draw I guess. gd

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Reliable said:
How durable is the finish on the black steel slides of the XD's I have heard they are easily scratched. Is the finish more corrosion resistant than traditional blued slides? I really like the looks of the black steel slides but in a carry situation, I have always leaned toward stainless.

How well does the finish on the XD's stack up to the tenifer finish as on the Glocks? I am very impressed with the tenifer finish.
If you treat the XD like any parkerized gun, it'll be fine.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
I posted a series of close-up pics of my HS2K a short time back. It gives an idea of normal wear n' tear on a 4+ year old gun with well over 10,000 rounds through it.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Frenchy, Are you in a position to repost those pics, I can't seem to locate them. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I had no problems with the stock finish but it is not very scratch resistant. I had an Armor Kote put on the slide by Springfield's Custom Shop and it is very scratch resistant now. I think I paid about $70.00 for the refinish.

·
Registered
268 Posts
I am getting two done by macs now. I will post pics when i get them back.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I haven't had any rust issues but i did recently notice what looks like unfinshed metal in my rear sight channel. I clean my guns all the time so rust probably won't be an issue with it. I think I did read somewhere that someone else had a similar sight channel coverage issue and springfield re did it on there dime. Will I call springfield? no probably not. If I were to get it refinished i think I would talk to virgil tripp, mac's, or rich at CC.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I sent mine back to SA, if I can get the pics off my other computer I will post them. Wore it in a Hume open top while ATV riding, just about polished the rear leading edge clean off. SA was awesome as usual and offered to check it out. I received it back with the Armory Kote on it, WOW talk about being slick as a new non-stick frying pan. Not much can leave a blemish on this finish, no fingerprints, nada. Love it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
The finish looks good but it diesn not hold up. If I keep my XD in the safe for two days, it comes out rusty. I contacted Springfield and they said that they would armory Kote it but the it wasn't covered under the warranty. I would have to pay for something that is in my opinion a defect. I'm not happy with the finish.

·
Registered
275 Posts
The Tengu said:
If you treat the XD like any parkerized gun, it'll be fine.
I have to disagree with that. I have several Park guns and an XD-40. All get the same TLC, but only the XD gets rust. :cry:

I'm shipping it back to SA to get it refinished. "Hopefully" this will be warentee work.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I had a sub with a blued slide. I carried it IWB for ~3 months and it started to rust. Just a little, but rust nonetheless. I kept that gun clean and oiled to an obsessive degree and still it started to rust. I contacted SA and they said to send it back, but I'd have to pay the shipping. I took it to the store I bought it from and they were going to ship it for me ... then I saw the bi-tone in .40 subcompact. Traded my previous gun for the stainless steel version and haven't looked back.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Spoke to springfield and this was their reply:

"It does not sound like what you described would be a warranty issue. The XD, like any other firearm does indeed require regular maintenance to prevent rust. If you oil it and it does not rust, that would be normal. Light oiling is required. If you choose to send it in for inspection, you can call our 800 number and we will give you a return authorization. If the repair department determines it is a warrantied problem, they will refinish it at no charge. If it is not under warranty, there would be a charge to refinish it and they would not reimburse your shipping charges.

Respectfully,

Adam Jones
Regional Dealer Relations
Springfield Armory
420 W. Main Street
Geneseo, IL 61254
((Toll Free) 800-680-6866"

·
Registered
8 Posts
gunslinger it sounds like you might want to address a humidity problem thant may live in your gun safe befor it manifests in your more durable firearms. You may want to get some silica(sp?) and leave it in there. its the stuff in the little "do not eat" packets and the sell it at hardware stors.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts