Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I notice a lot of people get rid of their Ambi safety on the EMPs or any 1911 for that matter.

Is there a reason for this?

I assume it is something like one less thing to get caught on while drawing or reduces accidentally taking the weapon off safe.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
A lot of 1911s are made without them, so technically, people don't get rid of them on those pistols, they just aren't there.

Many people see them as unnecessary for many reasons, such as the above note that they are not original equipment on the 1911.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Actually I've seen a number of folks switch out an ambi. I normally don't bother however I recently swapped out the ambi on my LB for a lower profile safety and went with a single sided unit. The shooters that I know that changed them out did so mostly because they've had a bad experience where the right side loosened up, tab broke, etc but they work their equipment hard. Some folks do it just because or cuz they hear others do it. As mentioned, they work fine for most people and I've never knocked the safety off on any of mine that have it. I wouldn't change it out on mine unless there was a specific reason to do it.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
If you are not a lefty...I know of one really good reason to do it.

I have a co-worker that carries a 3" 1911 for his CCW. It has an ambi-safety (...or did!) and more than once, I caught a glance of his pistol in a OWB pancake holster, with the safety off!

Apparently, getting in and out of his truck or bumping up against something, caused the safety to get moved to the fire position. If you don't have it covered up...this does not seem very hard to do. Rub up against something...even with a shirt or light vest over it and you can easily snick off the safety because it is out there to be moved.

Nice....then..unless you check often...you are carrying around a 45 with no safety on. Not a comfortable feeling, if you ask me.

With the safety up against your person, there is MUCH less chance of this happening. I know from personal experience that I never accidentally moved the safety on my own 1911 while carrying it concealed.

So yeah, if you are not a lefty...I'd avoid the ambi safety.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
41 Posts
Other than them bring fragile, getting in the way and increasing the chances of your safety being clicked off they are great. :confused:

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So the next question would be which Single sided to use?

I know alot of guys say the ED Brown goes in no problem. Anyone heard of any issues with the Ed Brown or recommend another?

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Brown, Wilson or Cylinder & Slide.

Pick one...they all make great stuff.

My Combat Commander is about half Wilson parts! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
12,161 Posts
Don't make the mistake of thinking a safety of any sort is a drop-in part. Please have it professionally installed. The tolerances are critical, this is no place for a hack job.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes!

A 1911 safety has to be fit...every time.

A new slide stop is 50-50 on having to fit or dropping in but the safety has to be fitted by someone that knows what they're doing. Very critical.

- brickboy240

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Why not see if you have a problem before changing it out? My wife has carried her EMP for a couple of years IWB without it coming off or snagging as I did with my SA Loaded.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah I am not carrying it till the holster comes in. I will probably run it for a bit. If I notice an issue with the ambi I will replace it.

On a sidenote Dirty Rod who is your avatar? Is that from a movie or something?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Yeah I am not carrying it till the holster comes in. I will probably run it for a bit. If I notice an issue with the ambi I will replace it.

On a sidenote Dirty Rod who is your avatar? Is that from a movie or something?
That's my alter-ego. Gater from the movie "The Other Guys".

1 - 13 of 13 Posts