Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After having several FTF's with my Kimber....well after the specified 500 round break in, I decided to trade it for a Wilson. Always wanted one, and I figure you only live once...so

·
Registered
29,733 Posts
I'd call that a smart move...

Enjoy!

(and realize it likely won't be your last...)

·
Registered
3,388 Posts
Great looking 1911!

·
Premium Member
127,703 Posts
Congratulations!

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Congrats. I ended up selling my Kimber a few months ago because I just couldn't get it to run properly. I am now without a 1911. That Wilson is really nice looking. I think I'm going to save my pennies and pick up a Les Baer soon.

·
Registered
11,293 Posts
I would say, "good move"

·
Registered
192 Posts
Well done, I've not seen or heard of an unhappy Wilson customer... And for $2,500+ there shouldn't be. I'm on the verge of my first Wilson. I've seen enough Kimber issues to know I won't be buying one.

In all fairness, comparing a Kimber to a Wilson is like comparing a Dodge to a Ferrari.

Oh and that's a good lookin' rifle you got there. I'm guessing Springer M1A?

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Springfield Loaded M1A with a Sadlak mount and Trijicon Accupoint Scope..

I wasnt really comparing the Kimber to the Wilson, but I will compare it to my TRP. The TRP for roughly the same price is better in every way than the Kimber. Fit and finish and of course reliability..

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Glad to hear that. That's what I'd heard about Kimbers as well which led me to my TRP Operator.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Springfield Loaded M1A with a Sadlak mount and Trijicon Accupoint Scope..

I wasnt really comparing the Kimber to the Wilson, but I will compare it to my TRP. The TRP for roughly the same price is better in every way than the Kimber. Fit and finish and of course reliability..
Very nice rifle setup. I have a Trijicon Accupoint on my FAL. They are on the very spendy side, but Trijicon makes top quality stuff. I almost bought an M1, but went with the cheaper FAL instead.

I've heard several times that Kimber 1911's only compare to Springfield's in price. A friend of mine owns the local gun store, and he says that it's very hard to beat the Springer TRP for the money. In fact he says to really improve on a TRP, you have to get a top of the line $2500+ Custom from someone like Wilson or Nighthawk. 95% of shooters can't shoot well enough to see significant performance improvements. But just about anyone can appreciate the high quality.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
I would bet that 95% of 1911 shooters cannot "out-shoot" a 800-1000 dollar 1911, either.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
I would bet that 95% of 1911 shooters cannot "out-shoot" a 800-1000 dollar 1911, either.

- brickboy240
I would agree! But the better made 1911s work and work well. There is lots of bad said about Kimber 1911s, I have had the pleasure of shooting many older Colts, Wilson combats, Dan Wessons, And a couple of all out 1911 based raceguns that all I can say is wow!!!. even WWII surplus 1911s and they all functioned perfectly and ate what they were fed.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Oh I have no doubts that the Wilsons, Baers and Nighthawks are probably better built than my Colts, Kimber or Springer.

However...a 2-3" group is fine for defensive accuracy and thats what you get from most 600-900 dollar 1911s.

When its hitting the fan and you're shaky and nervous and trying to get off a defensive shot....do you think that the 1/2" 50yd group that Wilson guarantees is going to matter? I doubt it. You probably won't remember even seeing those expensive sights, either. I would also go out on a limb and say that ammo choice and maybe caliber won't matter either (as long as you at least have a 9mm or bigger round).

People love to hash out group size and other nonsense, but the truth is that most people cannot shoot that good (myself included) and it might sell many guns but is largely not necessary.

- brickboy240

1 - 17 of 17 Posts