Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, as stated before in a previous thread, experienced the "premature slide lock" issue with my XD 45 ACP service. Now, I havent tried different ammo yet, so I havent given this gun its due trials. Truthfully, I hate the thought of selling it because of this as Im sure its something that, if necessary, Springfield could take care of. However, the fact that parts for the service model vs the tactical are not as "user friendly", leads me to believe I purchased the wrong gun. Hopefully Im wrong as I do like the feel and balance of this firearm. Frankly, had I not experienced any issues with it, I probably would not be too concerned. I just need to garner some opinions here....Is it time to sell or should I give both the gun and SA a chance? Thx.

·
Premium Member
2,186 Posts
Give em a chance. While my next purchase will be a tactical size, I won't give up my compact to get it (same as service, exception is the shorter grip) and it is a wonderful gun. Try some different ammo and check your hand position while firing.

·
Registered
244 Posts
It's a personal choice certainly...but I'd vote for giving things a bit more time to be ironed out. Who knows, might become your favorite gun before long.

·
Registered
5,880 Posts
What ammo did you try?

·
Registered
329 Posts
since you asked, go on and sell it to me for 50 bucks since it is a pos. if that won't work then give sa a chance to make it right. from all i have heard if there is a problem they will fix it. sorry you are having trouble on the serious note. but if you don't want to work it out or they can't, my offer above still stands.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As far as ammo goes..I was using Federal American Eagle 230g.
For the other guy who offered the "generous" $50....add about another $450 and you have a deal. :rolleyes:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
Don't sell it, you've only had it a day. First check to see if there are any tell-tale signs of friction. It's not unheard of for a firearm to have a bur left over after the manufacturing process. Then I recommend using a grease on the channels where the slide mates to the frame. I've had a XD-9 for about a year now and have put 500+ rounds through it and never a problem. The XD is a reliable piece of workmanship, but sometimes a gun can be particular when it comes to ammunition. It's always a costly and tedious process, but buy a box or two of several varieties, then run the gun through it's paces to find which functions reliably and accurately. For the first 200 or so rounds, use a cheap ball ammo. Guns can be more tempemental when they aren't broken in. You may find that after a few rounds of ball, JHP rounds function well. Then, when you find one that functions reliably without any malfunctions and also yields accurate groups, then put at least 200 rounds through it with that particular round to ensure full reliability. The last thing you want to happen is be in a situation where you need to defend yourself, and when you pull the trigger all you hear is the twang of the striker releasing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I had the premature slide lock issue on my 45 service once, but I think the "issue" was really my thumb or something really resting on the slide lock rather than an actual issue with the gun. Practice more and try different ammo and also double check your grip. It's only an issue with the gun if it happens repeatedly regardless of ammo or grip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
As far as ammo goes..I was using Federal American Eagle 230g.
For the other guy who offered the "generous" $50....add about another $450 and you have a deal. :rolleyes:
Why would he want to pay full retail for a supposedly pos?:confused:

·
Registered
3,714 Posts
This is your brain

This is your brain on drugs

Any questions?
ROTFLMAO, I love it, that is the best side by side comparison of the XD and Block that I have seen.

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
I only had to shoot that brick of plastic once to realize that it was inferior in design. Fortunately I never made the mistake of buying one, but shot a friend's first. I'm sure it would be a fine firearm if it wasn't for the over-exaggerated grip angle. I shot 1911's before owning my first XD, and the grip angle feels natural, like an extension of the hand. The Block, as some disaffectionately call it, is what people shoot until they try an XD. Those who have shot both and still cling to their old Glock are too stuborn and proud to admit the folly of their ways, unless of course they like having sore wrists, inferior triggers, and cheap plastic front sights that are melted in place. For cripes sake, how can any pistol manufacturer consider themselves a quality operation if a polymer front sight is the standard option on all their models. But enough of the ranting.

·
Premium Member
2,050 Posts
Try it, you'll love it. My .45 Service is my favorite gun I've handled, with the only failures being due to faulty (cheap) ammo. If it's a problem with the gun, SA will most definitely make it right, and quickly. The problems you are having contradict the XD45's reputation as a proven accurate and reliable gun. I think you'll miss it if you sell it. I would:cry::cry::cry:

·
Premium Member
2,735 Posts
On a more serious note, if you're having problems with your XD functioning properly, start with the very basic WWB. I just picked up two 100rd value packs of 230gr ball ammo at WallyWorld for a few pennies shy of $30 each. Next to reloading your own or good 'ole Ruskie Wolf, it doesn't get much cheaper than that. If you can find someone who's XD is malfunctioning with WWB 230gr FMJ, I'll show you a firearm that either has worn parts that need to be serviced, or the very unlikely but remotely possible scenario that there was a slight flaw in the manufacturing process.

That being said, I adopted a very tedious and time consuming break-in method when I purchased my first AR. I followed the instructions to the letter, with a few additions of my own, and when I was done I was hitting 7/8" groups at 85 yards with a CompM2 sight. For the first 50 rounds, after each round, clean the bore. Yes, this is a pain in the arse, but it guarantees that you break your barrel in properly. I use a bore snake with Break Free, so it goes quicker. For rounds 50-100, do the same for every 5 rounds. In addition, every 25 rounds, dissamble and use a decent grease lube on the frame rails. For 100-200 rounds, every 25 rounds clean the bore and grease the rails. I've done this for every gun I've owned since, and though I can't be 100% certain that it improved accuracy, I've never had any problems with the reliability, even with very old ammo which can be very troublesome for auto-loaders. Some may say this is an unnecessary waste of time, I say I'm protecting my investment. Just my $.02

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
On a more serious note, if you're having problems with your XD functioning properly, start with the very basic WWB. I just picked up two 100rd value packs of 230gr ball ammo at WallyWorld for a few pennies shy of $30 each. Next to reloading your own or good 'ole Ruskie Wolf, it doesn't get much cheaper than that. If you can find someone who's XD is malfunctioning with WWB 230gr FMJ, I'll show you a firearm that either has worn parts that need to be serviced, or the very unlikely but remotely possible scenario that there was a slight flaw in the manufacturing process.

That being said, I adopted a very tedious and time consuming break-in method when I purchased my first AR. I followed the instructions to the letter, with a few additions of my own, and when I was done I was hitting 7/8" groups at 85 yards with a CompM2 sight. For the first 50 rounds, after each round, clean the bore. Yes, this is a pain in the arse, but it guarantees that you break your barrel in properly. I use a bore snake with Break Free, so it goes quicker. For rounds 50-100, do the same for every 5 rounds. In addition, every 25 rounds, dissamble and use a decent grease lube on the frame rails. For 100-200 rounds, every 25 rounds clean the bore and grease the rails. I've done this for every gun I've owned since, and though I can't be 100% certain that it improved accuracy, I've never had any problems with the reliability, even with very old ammo which can be very troublesome for auto-loaders. Some may say this is an unnecessary waste of time, I say I'm protecting my investment. Just my $.02
Well, I bought some of the 230g Winchesters myself and will run another 100 rounds or so through this gun. I also have some LE Gold Dot 230g on their way. Either way, I will give it another shot. Keep in mind, and this goes for anybody, its not my intention to flame the XD. Im merely seeking answers or suggestions to a few issues Im experiencing. After all, I do actually like this gun.

In terms of the "breaking in" thing. Ive heard of this being done on high dollar rifles, but not too much for handguns. From what I understand, at least concerning a Sig Sauer I own, most barrels these days come "seasoned" from the factory and that a "break-in" isnt necessary. Well, according to a Sig tech I recently spoke with. While I probably wouldnt adopt your method, I still see some value in it. For the most part, on all of my new weapons, even smoothbore shotguns, I tend to thorougly clean and lube the firearm before shooting it for the first time and while at the range, run a boresnake through it roughly every 20 to 30 rounds or so....every 5 rounds or so for a shotgun. Once I have hit around 100 rounds or so, then I end the process entirely. That is, unless I am firing off more than 150 rounds that day. Besides, it seems to me that any barrel of decent quality will get there eventually. This is my hope anyway.

·
Registered
109 Posts
I had the premature slide lock issue on my 45 service once, but I think the "issue" was really my thumb or something really resting on the slide lock rather than an actual issue with the gun. Practice more and try different ammo and also double check your grip. It's only an issue with the gun if it happens repeatedly regardless of ammo or grip.

Sp may have the right idea about your problem. The new XDm slide release has been re-contoured, for this very reason.

Just load up a several mags, and shoot each of them with your "left" hand, paying close attention to the slide release in respect to your shooting grip. Try as many rounds as it takes to create this " premature slide lock". If it still happens using only your left hand, send it to SA.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Sp may have the right idea about your problem. The new XDm slide release has been re-contoured, for this very reason.

Just load up a several mags, and shoot each of them with your "left" hand, paying close attention to the slide release in respect to your shooting grip. Try as many rounds as it takes to create this " premature slide lock". If it still happens using only your left hand, send it to SA.
I thought of this and will certainly pay closer attention to it next time I shoot the XD. However, I tend to use the "thumbprint over thumbnail" method of grasping the weapon. I use this method particularly to avoid such issues as inadvertantly hitting the slide lock. Anyway, thanks for the suggestions and I will definately keep them in mind.

·
Registered
174 Posts
During my concealed carry class my slide locked back twice on me in the middle of a mag.

I found my problem, I had my thumb on the slide release and when the gun recoiled I was pushing it up.

I at first thought it was the gun and then noticed my problem, adjusted my grip slightly and its never happened again.

·
Premium Member
262 Posts
Use the built-in-anti-premie-slide-lock-device, the "bump"

rest your over anxious power hungry thumb.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts