Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My son was watching me load up and we were talking about the Hornady ammo and he described it as "wicked looking". Then he asked me a question I couldn't answer. He wanted to know if you had several cartridges in your pocket or loose in some other fashion, could one bump the back of another hard enough to discharge it. First we discussed to never carry ammo like that but I still couldn't answer his question. Tried to search for an answer but just keep finding safe ammo loading articles.

·
Premium Member
8,923 Posts
I would say no. If this was a possibility, I'm sure manufactures such as Winchester would not loose pack their ammo.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I would say no as well. If you could even pull that off (discharging a round with another round) that would have to be pretty forceful. I don't think you could get that kind of force from inside your pocket.

·
Registered
52 Posts
just dont fall down on a rock.. lol. I have done it b4 with .17 rounds when i walk through the woods. i just throw some in my shirt pocket. I have never had a problem.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Was reading another thread where someone was saying how a Walmart employee wouldn't handle the boxed ammo he was buying. I wonder how many people are out there that believe ammo can just "go off".

·
Registered
373 Posts
Extremely unlikely. It would take a lot of force and also need to be directed in the exact right direction to hit the primer solidly. On a side note, even if it did go off it wouldn't be anywhere near the force of a round discharged in a gun. There's no compression nor anything to stop the brass from moving backwards with the same force of the bullet moving forward.

·
Registered
2,115 Posts
Extremely unlikely. It would take a lot of force and also need to be directed in the exact right direction to hit the primer solidly. On a side note, even if it did go off it wouldn't be anywhere near the force of a round discharged in a gun. There's no compression nor anything to stop the brass from moving backwards with the same force of the bullet moving forward.

But if it was in your pocket, it would sure hurt!

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
I guess it would depend on what bullet type it is. There's a reason you don't put spitzer-styler bullet cartridges in a tube magazine ;)

I couldn't see it with a round nose, like most handgun cartridges. Hollowpoints would be pretty hard to do as well.

All in all I think it's unlikely in any situation as I think the planets would have to be align for it to happen (even in a tube mag, unless you're using your gun as a hammer :confused:). Best not to take the chance, though.

·
Registered
725 Posts
I was always taught in the Boy Scouts never to carry loose ammunition in your clothing. Not that they actually gave us ammo to hold on to, but I always thought it was because of this possibility. Possibly just an old tale passed down through the years in merit badge books? Or maybe if a scout at one time had a spare round in his pocket and was drying his clothes over the fire or something?

But I remember at least one manufacturer of lever action rifles said in their instruction manual to never put pointed bullets in the rifle.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
winchester packs its 9mm ammo loose.

if it did happen to go off i would think the powder burn would be worse than case or the bullet hitting you or your "boys"

Spitzer type bullets in a tube magazine.... Hornady Leveroution (sp) Spitzer type bullet ballistics with out the worry of setting off your round!

i have heard problems with a certain lever gun not being able to fire off the new Hornady lever action ammo due to the hardness of the primers they put in them,

·
Premium Member
457 Posts
I'd say it is REMOTELY possible for ammo to discharge if the bullet was pointed enough and hit a primer hard enough. Does the thought of this make me worry or change the way I carry/store ammo, NO. It would take a hard hit for this to happen.

·
Registered
484 Posts
Unless you fell against something small, hard and pointy enough to hit the primer just right it shouldn't be an issue. But why would you be carrying a bunch of loose rounds in your pocket in the first place? Regardless of where you are, what you're carrying, you should have some sort of magazine/speedloader/ammo carrier instead of loose rounds not only for safetys sake but also because it makes reloading a whole lot easier than digging loose, lint-covered rounds out of a pocket.

·
Registered
3,962 Posts
You would need one round to hit another round's primer with enough force to set it off. How would you get that much force when they are in your pocket? You'd probably have to throw one round at another from a few feet away to give it enough force.

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Remember you can't pack loose ammo in your check-in bag on the airplane anymore. I think that's a smart precaution but I put 100+ rounds of .45ACP reloads in Ziploc bags routinely. I don't do that w/ my .308s.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have seen .22's go off like by droping them a good distance on to some rocks or something like that but I have never got any other round to do it.

·
Registered
1,921 Posts
I've heard of ejected cases falling on live catridges and causing them to fire. Has to be the edge of the case hitting the primer just right.

So I agree with Cannibul. Possible, but not probable.

·
Premium Member
387 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it too much. Without a backstop for the shellcase to launch against, even if the primer ignites, it would be more like a firecracker blowing up, the bullet itself won't go very far and certainly not at the kind of velocity out of a gun muzzle.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts