Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was cruising a site i just joined and made a post bragging on how accurate my Oly barrelled 20in rifle is and how i was hitting at 600yds, torso sized steel plate and a guy comes and posts that he calls BS on it that i could hit it!:mad: Man i was stoked! Hell next time just call me a liar! Im still irate about it. Yeah i get on my favorite sites so i can post LIES all over every where! According this person im lieing about this whole post.
Sorry guys i had to let that out:)Feel better now

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Not really sure why it got you that mad but alright ...

·
Premium Member
4,949 Posts
That's post #223 for you jigman! How appropriate.

·
Registered
2,106 Posts
I was cruising a site i just joined and made a post bragging on how accurate my Oly barrelled 20in rifle is and how i was hitting at 600yds, torso sized steel plate and a guy comes and posts that he calls BS on it that i could hit it!:mad: Man i was stoked! Hell next time just call me a liar! Im still irate about it. Yeah i get on my favorite sites so i can post LIES all over every where! According this person im lieing about this whole post.
No need to get so upset by him calling BS. He might actually be a High Power competitor and just assumed you were shooting the way he shoots.

A) Are you using magnified optics or iron sights?
B) From a bench or prone/unsupported?
C) Did you specify in your post or did you just brag that you're hitting a small target at 600yds, leaving the impression that you're doing it the way High Power competitors do it?

If you are hitting a torso sized steel plate at 600yds shooting from prone using iron sights, then you need to be competing in High Power matches, because that is smaller than the target they use at 600yds (the center is 3' x 3'). This fact might lead a person to believe that either:
A) you are so good that you would be and are winning High Power matches or
B) you are full of it.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was shooting from a bench,well rested ,with a 6x32 scope.I definately missed more than i hit!:D I adjusted for the hits by watching the dust kick up when i missed.Well if i did come across that way it was unintentional.It was in response to someone elses post that Olympic stuff is all garbage when in fact they make some of the best barrells out there short of a high end match grade one.:smile:

·
Registered
975 Posts
If you are hitting a torso sized steel plate at 600yds shooting from prone using iron sights, then you need to be competing in High Power matches, because that is smaller than the target they use at 600yds (the center is 3' x 3'). This fact might lead a person to believe that either:
A) you are so good that you would be and are winning High Power matches or
B) you are full of it.
18" plate at 1,000 yards with irons............

YouTube - 1,000 yards, open sights, Swiss K31 7.5x55 rifle

·
Premium Member
3,187 Posts
Don't take it so personally. There are so many kool-aid drinkers out there that like to talk sh!t. Oly doesn't have the best rep in the AR industry but I have never had one so I couldn't really say. Probably the same with the douche that called BS on you.

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
I have to shoot once a year at 500 yards with iron sights to quality. The 5 point zone on our targets is the size of a human being. I have no problems believing that someone can easily put shots on a human torso sized steel target at 600 yards. All you need is practice and experience and not even that much.

I'm a USMC Range coach and we can have people getting hits in the black at 500 yards in a few days even if they have never shot that far before.

G

·
Don't sweat it! Peoples inadequacies as marksman cause's them to lash out. Ignore this or the idiot will drag you down to his level and beat you to death with experience. Personally I think that a decent marksman can do that on a regular basis. Good shooting!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
I agree, the person who critisized you may be a dweeb. He doesn't know you or your rifle. Over the years I have learned that we all can do things that no one believes possible.
Also just because a manufacturer has a bad rap doesn't mean that they can't occasionaly get it right.
I own an Oly GI16, and I like it a lot. A nice basic AR that takes a lot of abuse as my truck rifle.

·
Premium Member
341 Posts
People that haven't put in the trigger time often think that because they can't do it , you can't.There are a lot of self-styled expert marksman that because they hunt a few times a year, and fire 20 rounds just before the season opens, that they are good shots .We know how much practise it takes to become and stay proficient with our weapons of choice, and what we can do with them because of it.Ignore him and keep on honing your skills.

·
Registered
29,765 Posts
People that haven't put in the trigger time often think that because they can't do it , you can't.There are a lot of self-styled expert marksman that because they hunt a few times a year, and fire 20 rounds just before the season opens, that they are good shots .We know how much practise it takes to become and stay proficient with our weapons of choice, and what we can do with them because of it.Ignore him and keep on honing your skills.
+1.

Not long a go, I had a guy at a gun shop swear up & down, almost getting irate that I was BS'ing when I said I made a 400 yard shot on a coyote using an AR...and iron sights. I went into the nonchalant "No, it's pretty easy if you know what you're doing...". I didn't mention I've probably put several thousand rounds through my AR"s, and have learned their (and my) capabilities.

I'd buy that you were making 600 yard hits with your AR...then again, I've been a scorekeeper at a Palma match, and watched people consistently hit 10" (?--it seemed about that big when I helped pull targets) X-rings at 1000 yards...using iron sights. It's pretty darn cool...

·
Premium Member
1,821 Posts
Jigman,

No need to get uptight. Everyone with any sense knows it can be done.

In the Marines before going to Sniper school I shot the M16 at 500 meters at a lifesize target and hit the bullzeye 10 out of 10 times in all kinds of weather, with iron sights.

Yes your 600 yard shots are not hard at all!

·
Registered
408 Posts
I have to shoot once a year at 500 yards with iron sights to quality. The 5 point zone on our targets is the size of a human being. I have no problems believing that someone can easily put shots on a human torso sized steel target at 600 yards. All you need is practice and experience and not even that much.

I'm a USMC Range coach and we can have people getting hits in the black at 500 yards in a few days even if they have never shot that far before.
yeah in usmc i could hit 8/10 @500 on qual day with the crappiest M16 they could find with or without Optics. We shot at 600 a few times with ACOGs and its not that hard to hit a torso target. Ive shot 10/10 but not on Qual day :(

·
Premium Member
28,487 Posts
600 yards isn't imposible with mil-spec ARs of which Oly Arms belong to...

·
Registered
5,331 Posts
yeah in usmc i could hit 8/10 @500 on qual day with the crappiest M16 they could find with or without Optics. We shot at 600 a few times with ACOGs and its not that hard to hit a torso target. Ive shot 10/10 but not on Qual day :(

Yeah that's usually how the cookie crumbles :D

1 - 20 of 31 Posts