Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Everyone keeps talking about trigger on XDm, and most people seem to think it (stock trigger) gets a little better after a few hundred dry firing, do you use the dry firing caps or an empty chamber? Not sure if dry firing causes any damage to firing pin or not. Mine is the XDm in .40.

·
Registered
7,827 Posts
I think dry firing any weapon is not good. Use the caps when possible. IMO, dry firing can lead to an accidental discharge.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Dry firing won't do any harm to your XD unless you're putting serious wear on it (1,000 dry fires a night?).

I don't personally feel snap caps are necessary - but not bad to have anyways for FTF and Tap and Rack practice.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
With regular XD's you have to dry fire to fieldstrip it. I think the (M) should be just as durable as a regular XD. Like Rouge said be dang sure sure your weapon is unloaded!!!

·
Registered
504 Posts
I think dry firing any weapon is not good. Use the caps when possible. IMO, dry firing can lead to an accidental discharge.
Safety first, of course, but dry firing is a GREAT tool to work on accuracy issues. When I try fire, I ensure no loaded magazines or ammunition are in the room. I don't think you have to worry about it harming your gun, either.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
sometimes I eat dry cereal

·
Registered
67 Posts
I've got a series 70 Colt 1911 with 80,000 + rounds through it and I've dry fired double that, and the only thing still good on it is the trigger and firing pin. I doubt it will harm the XDm.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
That is like saying masturbation leads to pregnancy. Nothing at all wrong with dry fire training. In fact, if you really want to become a good shooter, you have to dry fire practice a lot.

ranburr

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
That is like saying masturbation leads to pregnancy...
Well, I suppose it could, if you're not careful (and had some crazy aim...)! Same with dry firing is what Rogue was getting at... :-D

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hi All. I am a total newbie to guns i just bought my first gun being the xdm i been told dry firing is bad for the gun and can cause damage... of course with overdoing it. i dont know if that is the case at all with the xdm but if there is an expert on the issue please to speak up i would like to know. i do understand the xdm has a third safty most people dont know about it is where the striker meets the hammer (i hope i am using the right terms) there is a block keeping the striker from hitting the hammer will that at all help from damage dry firing might cause?

·
Registered
246 Posts
Hi All. I am a total newbie to guns i just bought my first gun being the xdm i been told dry firing is bad for the gun and can cause damage... of course with overdoing it. i dont know if that is the case at all with the xdm but if there is an expert on the issue please to speak up i would like to know. i do understand the xdm has a third safty most people dont know about it is where the striker meets the hammer (i hope i am using the right terms) there is a block keeping the striker from hitting the hammer will that at all help from damage dry firing might cause?
That safety is disengaged as soon as start to you pull the trigger. and there is no hammer! The striker hits the primer in the cartridge - the thingee that holds the bullet and powder. Then the primer goes bang, which ignites the powder, then the bullet flies out the barrel. BANG!

·
Premium Member
30,891 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
The safety manual that comes with an XD(m) has the following statement:

We want you to be a safe, satisfied shooter.​
Before attempting to load this firearm with live
ammunition, follow the sequence of operations shown
here without ammunition or with dummy rounds.
By practicing operations without ammunition (or with
dummy rounds), you will become familiar with:​
•​
Safety features,

•​
Trigger control (dry firing),

•​
Handling of your firearm.
As a result you will be a safer, more confident shooter
when aiming at your first target.

What's good enough for Springfield is good enough for me.

gghost

·
Registered
8 Posts
The safety manual that comes with an XD(m) has the following statement:

We want you to be a safe, satisfied shooter.​
Before attempting to load this firearm with live
ammunition, follow the sequence of operations shown
here without ammunition or with dummy rounds.
By practicing operations without ammunition (or with
dummy rounds), you will become familiar with:​
•​
Safety features,

•​
Trigger control (dry firing),

•​
Handling of your firearm.
As a result you will be a safer, more confident shooter
when aiming at your first target.

What's good enough for Springfield is good enough for me.

gghost

Thanks for pointing this out!

·
Registered
23 Posts
Dry firing is 100% ok with a center fire weapon like the xdm. The issue arrises when you have a rim fire weapon because of the location of the firing pin. With a center fire the firing pin moves forward and touches nothing but air (unloaded) while with a rim fire the firing pin can hit the edge of the chamber causing damage to it. So with that said unload your weapon and dry fire away and become proficient with that awesome pistol.:p

·
Registered
107 Posts
1 - 20 of 39 Posts