Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it ok?

I just bought my XD-45LE 4" Friday. :D And at the store the slaes people behind the counter let everybody pull the trigger, to feel the break and all. I was just wondering if it will hurt anything by doing this. :?:

I can't imagine it would cause the manual tells you to do it in order to do a complete "tear-down" for cleaning.

BTW, the lack of .45 GAP ammo is pissing me off. What do people really think that it is an un-necessary cartridge?

I mean come on the ACP has been around how long, didn't you think with all the technology we have now that we couldn't make a better cartridge? More versitile and compatible with smaller guns. Higher power round for concealment!

·
Premium Member
3,601 Posts
Centerfire arms will not be harmed by dry fire. If in doubt or if you are going to practice alot, I would use a dummy cartridge known as a "Snap Cap" to deaden the forces on the firing pin. Yes indeed on the XD a step in the fieldstrip process is a dry fire. 8)

Now rimfire is another story altogether. The firing pin is most likely going to hit the edge of the firing chamber and damage could result.

http://dillonprecision.com/template/p.cfm?maj=63&min=0&dyn=1&

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
There have been cases of breaking the firing pin retaining roll pin attributed to dry fire (lots of it, not that necessary to disassemble the pistol) without snap caps. If you plan to dry fire "a lot", I'd get a roll pin or two and learn how to replace it. James can help you out with this, or Don.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Snake-eater 1 said:
There have been cases of breaking the firing pin retaining roll pin attributed to dry fire (lots of it, not that necessary to disassemble the pistol) without snap caps. If you plan to dry fire "a lot", I'd get a roll pin or two and learn how to replace it. James can help you out with this, or Don.
i broke mine... and i dry fire a lot, probably in the 100k area

·
Registered
156 Posts
100k damn. You can't really blame dry firing picking a gun up 100k time would probably break something. That is a lot of use for any mechanical device.

·
Registered
223 Posts
XDs (and Glocks too) have an enclosed firing pin and shouldn't suffer any damage from dry-fire. Other guns are a different story. If you're concerned about it, snap caps are your friend.

T

·
Registered
102 Posts
This is from the XD FAQ:

Is the XD safe to dryfire?

Yes the XD and HS2000 is safe to dryfire, since the xd uses a striker fired system you have to dryfire the XD to take it apart. The XD is designed with a striker (firing pin) dampining spring. This dampining spring is located between the back of the breechface and the stiker, this cusions the blow of the striker making it safe. The trigger of the XD actually gets better after several hundred dryfires...things seem to smooth out.

Maybe if premature breakage of the roll pin is an issue with dry firing, that should be amended so people are aware it can happen, even if very unlikely. Here is a link to the FAQ:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15674

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
Fingolfin said:
This is from the XD FAQ:

Is the XD safe to dryfire?

Yes the XD and HS2000 is safe to dryfire, since the xd uses a striker fired system you have to dryfire the XD to take it apart. The XD is designed with a striker (firing pin) dampining spring. This dampining spring is located between the back of the breechface and the stiker, this cusions the blow of the striker making it safe. The trigger of the XD actually gets better after several hundred dryfires...things seem to smooth out.

Maybe if premature breakage of the roll pin is an issue with dry firing, that should be amended so people are aware it can happen, even if very unlikely. Here is a link to the FAQ:

http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=15674

i didnt say mine broke from dryfiring. that would be impossible to tell.

what i did say is that i dryfire a lot, and mine has broke. i also shoot a lot (10krnds through my XD40) so that could be a reason it broke. either way its just a roll pin, the same kind of rollpin used in tons of other guns.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts