Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
758 Posts
Yeah, you can break your firing pin retaining pin. The little roll pin in the top of the slide. I broke mine, but it was an easy fix. SA sent me one for free, or you can go by them for .30 a pop at the local hardware store.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
I figure if its not safe to do so then why would the darn thing require a dry fire to disassemble it?

If I'm just dropping the striker to decock or whatever I don't use caps but dry fire practice I use caps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I just purchased some snap caps from Bass Pro. I have what may sound like a silly question. Are they supposed to replicate bullets? What I mean by that is when I fire with them loaded in the magazine are they supposed to be ejected and the next one loaded?

The ones I have now just stay in the chamber forcing me to cock the gun to dry fire the next one. Needless to say it pretty irritating. :x

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
All they are is a fake primer with a spring in it to keep the firing pin from going too far/coming to a hard stop.

Snap caps won't cycle the pistol. If you're using a XD, you don't have to eject the cap to recock it, watch closely, you only have to pull it back 1/4" or so to reset the striker and you're ready to fire again.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
It's true, you can break the roll pin by extended sessions of dry firing.

They're also a pain in the ass to find locally, since they're metric and not standard.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Fam Money said:
I just purchased some snap caps from Bass Pro. I have what may sound like a silly question. Are they supposed to replicate bullets? What I mean by that is when I fire with them loaded in the magazine are they supposed to be ejected and the next one loaded?

The ones I have now just stay in the chamber forcing me to cock the gun to dry fire the next one. Needless to say it pretty irritating. :x
Unbelievable! LOL!!! Sorry, but this cracks me up.

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Snap caps are also great for stoppage drills have a friend load them into a magazine with live shells then fire them off untill one goes click, then its slap,tap and rack boom. Just make sure they are good quality and can take the force of being chambered from the magazine.

·
Registered
59 Posts
bigun said:
Snap caps are also great for stoppage drills have a friend load them into a magazine with live shells then fire them off untill one goes click, then its slap,tap and rack boom. Just make sure they are good quality and can take the force of being chambered from the magazine.
great idea. i appreciate that thought. that's especially good for law enforcement training. thanks

·
Registered
68 Posts
bigun said:
When I was in rookie school the instructors had a bunch of rounds that had a fired primer, and no powder, just a shell and a bullet. They'd load a magazine and throw one of those in there to mess with us, and get us to remember our misfire drills.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts