Springfield XD Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whats the status? dry firing ok? or should i just buy some snap caps? just picked up a XD40 service earlier today and would like to say hi to everyone here on the boards :lol: :) :D

·
Registered
758 Posts
Okay, people will tell you that it is okay to dry fire it, and they are right, being that you have to dry fire it before you take the gun apart.

One warning though. The firing pin retaining pin may break with a lot of dry firing. Mine split right down the middle. Still fuctional, but not complete. They are cheap to replace though. I think you can buy a bag of the at your local hardware store for less than a buck. SA sent me a new one free of charge.

·
Registered
768 Posts
brandon,
welcome to the club. dry firing is ok most here will say. i don't like to do it because i figure that force is being taken up somewhere, and possibly causing minute wear if done a lot.
i don't like to dry fire anyway because i don't like to handle empty pistols too much. it confuses my brain safety.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
TuffPaws is correct. I cracked 1/4th of my firing pin retainer one day before a pistol class I was taking. I was dry firing, and then I heard and felt a little "sproing" in my hand.

Luckily, I was able to put it in sidways and it worked just fine.

NOTE TO SELF:
When inserting the retainer pin, make sure the open end of the pin is facing the muzzle.

Also, I was unable to find any suitable roll pins here after a 3-day search at every auto parts store, hardware store, and fastener company in town. The measurements for the roll pin are in metric and everyone here has only standard.

I finally just ordered some from James. :)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I had the same problem finding the pin in my area. I finally went to a foreign car parts store and scored 6 of them. Check it out next time.

gv2shooter

·
Registered
342 Posts
which pin are you guys talking about? I've only disassembled my xd according to James's instructions, and the 'roll' pin that holds the firing pin in place in the slide already had a split down the middle. I juste assumed that's why they called it "roll", because it was a rolled piece of metal, in a tube-shaped pin.

·
Registered
250 Posts
branden said:
whats the status? dry firing ok? or should i just buy some snap caps? just picked up a XD40 service earlier today and would like to say hi to everyone here on the boards :lol: :) :D
Here's a hint... Try to disasemble your XD without dry firing. :wink:

·
Registered
2,637 Posts
whtvrsclvr said:
which pin are you guys talking about? I've only disassembled my xd according to James's instructions, and the 'roll' pin that holds the firing pin in place in the slide already had a split down the middle. I juste assumed that's why they called it "roll", because it was a rolled piece of metal, in a tube-shaped pin.
More than one split in the pin is the problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Here's a hint... Try to disasemble your XD without dry firing. Wink
Well i already disassembled it and yes you must dry fire, but i'm wondering if lots of dry firing is going to cause excessive wear or breakage of something.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
onto the next question... is there some trick to get the 12th round into my 12 round magazines? i let it sit overnight with 11 rounds in it in hopes that it might loosen it up a bit but i still cant get it in.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
another place to find a pin is at a locksmith. Those type's of pins are common in commercial locks in a whole variety of sizes. :)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
branden

The striker dampining spring cusions the blow alittle. And after several years of reading this forum I think maybe I can recal one broken firing pin, so all in all it does not happen.

·
Registered
95 Posts
before I fire mine i put some water on it, it won't be dry when i fire it. no dryfiring. jk

·
Banned
38,922 Posts
before I fire mine i put some water on it, it won't be dry when i fire it. no dryfiring. jk
LOL ... Is there a contest going on with the newer members ?
Who can drag up the oldest thread :p

·
Registered
154 Posts
ohhhhh, sorry
Don't be sorry. Searching for a subject before starting a thread is good form. :)

It's kinda fun to see old threads come alive. I call 'em Zombie Threads :lol:

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
Snap caps are a lot cheaper than getting a repair.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Don't be sorry. Searching for a subject before starting a thread is good form. :)

It's kinda fun to see old threads come alive. I call 'em Zombie Threads :lol:
lol, thank you;)

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.