Springfield XD Forum banner

Dry firing the xd9

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  gunbuster 
#1 ·
Anyone know the best dry firing set up for the XD9? I know Glock has the rest trigger assembly for their guns. Is there anything like that for the XD9?

#3 ·
#4 ·
Dry Fire Mag is saying they will be coming out with a unit for the XD. Here is a review of that product with a Glock:

The striker is not involved with that product. If you are doing "normal" dry fire practice by racking the gun between trigger pulls, the striker is going to be cocked and released and that is the achilles heel of the XD. Use snap caps or something like the Laserylyte cartridge to protect the striker retaining pin.

#5 ·
Hi,

There is also an "e-trainer" for the Glock: Glock E-Trainer Tools For Glock Dry Fire Training

I don't know if there will ever be such a product for the XD. Being a noob, I've been using snap caps to practice dry fire, clearing the chamber, loading the magazine, etc, to get the feel for the whole process with this weapon.

I asked my instructor, who's a real XD fan, and he said dry firing your XD doesn't cause any more wear than live firing the pistol. I do dry fire my XD9 without snap caps on occasion, but not excessively.

Please take my noob advice with a grain of salt. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

#6 ·
I know from experience that excessive dry firing can damage and or break the striker retaining pin. You can prevent this by religious use of snap caps or by upgrading the retaining pin to a coiled style roll pin that is available from several different xd parts retailers. I completely strip my slide for cleaning and inspection several times a year so I just replace the roll pin every time. I just bought a bag of standard 3x16mm roll pins from granger. Only cost a few cents each when bought in bulk.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.