Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
734 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seemed like it took my XD9sc about 700-800 rounds at the range (along with about 700-800 dry-fire trigger pulls at the house) for the trigger to really break in and smooth out. So around 1,500 trigger pulls did the job.

Well I've only got about 300 rounds down range (and 300 dry-fire trigger pulls) on my XDm .40 3.8 compact and the trigger is still pretty rough. Just wondering if I might be able to expect another roughly 1,500 trigger pulls before she breaks in and smooths out like my XD took.

How long before you guys notice the trigger smoothing out on your XDm? It is still a pleasure to shoot and I'm WAY more accurate with it than I am my XD... but the trigger doesn't feel quite as nice as my XD. Wondering how many trigger pulls it took for most of you guys/gals before it broke in to a nice smooth pull? I'm hoping it smooths out like my XD eventually did because the trigger pull on my XD now is sweet. I'm looking forward to my XDm getting there.

I know I could just get a trigger job done but I prefer to keep my carry piece as stock as possible.

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
600 rounds on my XDm .40.

Another option is to remove the dissasembly bar....just remember that will make it like a regular XD and you will have to pull trigger on EMPTY chamber to strip

Scott @ Springer Precision has a you tube vid on it

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
If you understand the functions of the internal parts, as in where and where not to smooth, you could get the same results with about 30min of hand polishing. 800-1200 grit emory paper, a flat surface, backup sanding stick (piece of pop-cicle stick), and some rouge metal polish and cloth. Do not change any angles or 'break' the edges of engagement/catch surfaces (like sear to striker). Usually less than a dozen, 1" strokes are necessary to smooth contact surfaces. Use a chip of flat wood to backup a single wrap of emory paper. Multiple wraps makes a too soft pad that can round edges. On flat surfaces, never backup emory with your finger, too soft and will cause uneven removal. But just use the emory on your finger for the curved ramp surface polishing. Finish with rouge metal polish on a cloth. Again only a light touch and a few buff strokes. You are not removing any real amount of the metal, just knocking the microscopic size peaks down to rounded hills. If the whole job takes more than about 30min, you are taking off way too much material.
For more advanced work, a fine 600-800 stone could be used to true the mating surfaces between the striker and sear before polishing. Do not change engagement angles or round the edges. This is delicate, a stroke or two and test check engagement, repeat. You cannot put metal back on after removed. Best not tried here as a first attempt at truing surfaces.
Clean all grit and polish resides off parts before reassembly.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I just fired a little under 200 rounds through my new XDm 9mm compact. Dried fired maybe 100 times and it looks like I got a way to go.

But years ago it took me 1,000+ cycles of the bolt with dummy rounds in my 375 H&H Whitworth Mauser to get it anywhere near smooth. Break in is a labor of love. Sort like emotional "bonding" with the firearm.

·
Registered
839 Posts
I've dry fired the snot out of my XDm as well as running well over 2000 rounds through it...it's smoothed out a bit but not much over a brand new one. That's why I sent mine off to Canyon Creek this week to get it reworked....that stock trigger pull is like rowing a boat...

·
Registered
806 Posts
I've owned 5 XD(m)'s so far and in my opinion it's been completely luck of the draw on when the trigger break "smooths" out.

I'll evaluate my experiences:

XD40SC - First XD. So I didn't really know what to do when I got it. My impression of the initial trigger was a little gritty, but it smoothed out a few hundred rounds. By the time I hit 1000 it was smooth as butter. I ended up selling it to a buddy, and until I picked up a PRP kit it was the best trigger out of all of mine.

XDM 9mm 4.5" My first XDM. I bought it used and I don't think even 100 rounds had gone thru it at that point. Since I've put a Solid Guide Rod and a PRP trigger kit in. The trigger was pretty smooth when I got it, and I shortly after took the buffing wheel to smooth out the surface parts. It was never as crisp as the XD40SC tho. After 10,000 rounds fired it shoots like a dream.

XD9SC - I bought this one third. Honestly I haven't even put enough rounds thru it to "break" it in. It has been relegated to being my "spare" carry gun, and I only have 300 rounds thru it. After my test firing I disassembled it and took a buffing wheel to the parts that mate just to smooth them out and remove any burrs/sharp edges.

XD40 Service - This was a law enforcement trade in. High round count. I picked it up on a trade from a friend of mine and haven't fired it. The trigger is extremely crisp, almost as good as my original XD40SC. But I have only been reloading for 9mm lately so I haven't had a chance to shoot it.

XDM9 Compact - For a new gun this one had the very best trigger of them all. It still wasn't the silky break that I was used to from my XD40SC, but it was very nice. In fact I let a couple of the "Range hounds" try it out and brought a couple of them over to the "Springfield Side" Even the owner of the range I shoot at went out and bought one, and he is strictly a Glock Guy. I feel that this gun has the potential to be the best trigger of them all, but it's such a pain to clean multiple guns I never end up shooting anything other than my XDM9 4.5"

On all my guns one of the first thing I do is a "fluff and buff" to remove any factory rough edges or burrs. After that it's just trigger time to get them running smoothly.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've dry fired the snot out of my XDm as well as running well over 2000 rounds through it...it's smoothed out a bit but not much over a brand new one. That's why I sent mine off to Canyon Creek this week to get it reworked....that stock trigger pull is like rowing a boat...
LMAO!! +1 on the boat rowing!! I sent mine to Springer and had the trigger done! lol...rowing a boat...thats good! :p

·
Registered
353 Posts
I swapped my trigger for a PRP unit. After my first 2 XDMs were unimpressive at 2-3K rounds each, my carry gun got a trigger job and I could not be happier!

·
Registered
285 Posts
600 rounds on my XDm .40.

Another option is to remove the dissasembly bar....just remember that will make it like a regular XD and you will have to pull trigger on EMPTY chamber to strip

Scott @ Springer Precision has a you tube vid on it

Tried to find this video and I can't seem to locate it. Could you link it?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Mine took 2 min with a rag polishing wheel and medium compound.

That and the PRP basic kit made it a whole different (better) critter.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Someone here pointed out to me you can wear in all the parts except the sear/striker engagement merely by just working the trigger without it being cocked. Also saves on striker pin wear. This is a good way to put wear on most of the system quickly.

CX

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Someone here pointed out to me you can wear in all the parts except the sear/striker engagement merely by just working the trigger without it being cocked. Also saves on striker pin wear. This is a good way to put wear on most of the system quickly.

CX

Yes, but....

The highest friction area is the sear/striker interface and the striker / striker channel. Until you smooth the parts that drag, you won't get a lot of improvement. But just squeezing the trigger is low cost and easy!

·
Registered
588 Posts
Yes, but....

The highest friction area is the sear/striker interface and the striker / striker channel. Until you smooth the parts that drag, you won't get a lot of improvement. But just squeezing the trigger is low cost and easy!
Agree. I didn't say it solved the problem, but it goes a long way towards it. I was amazed at how much difference it makes.

I stoned my sear and striker engagement surfaces with a hard Arkansas. Other means risk rounding off surfaces or changing angles.

CX

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
I stoned my sear and striker engagement surfaces with a hard Arkansas. Other means risk rounding off surfaces or changing angles.

CX

So does it sound like an old Cheech & Chong movie when you pull the trigger?;)

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've always heard dry firing is BAD...is there something different about XDs and XDMs that make it ok? I ask because I'm new to the XD, just got an XD Compact .45 and there is NO WAY I want to break before I get more rounds through it dry firing.

·
Registered
354 Posts
Doing a handheld trigger polish with 1000 grit paper makes quite a difference but not like an aftermarket trigger.

Theres a big difference just polishing the side of the sear where it contacts the Striker safety lever and polishing the lever where it contacts the sear. This is where half the grittiness is. It has some anti rust coating that is not smooth. I also do a light polish of the sear face but dont change the angle

Sometimes theres also flashing where the trigger bar rubs against the polymer frame.

·
Registered
895 Posts
i'd count on the 1,500ish pulls, to me the xdm trigger is awesome, true it takes a little for the parts to fully smooth out but compared to my old glock and my kahr the trigger is barelly there and hardly needs to move in order to fire a round, i guess i'm just not as picky as the rest. i'd love a springer trigger job but feel its unneeded. to be honest i've always liked how every pistol has a different trigger i think of it as "variety is the spice of life"

1 - 20 of 21 Posts