Springfield XD Forum banner

Dry firing and XD .45?

5K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  Anjin-san 
#1 ·
Will dry firing harm this weapon in any way? Some pistol manufactures warn not to dry fire.

Would someone kindly educate me as to the difference in the FCG and/or firing pins that makes dry firing detrimental in one pistol but fine in another?

#4 ·
ditto
But never dry fire a 22 :(

#13 ·
I actually found this forum tonight because my XD broke. I did a little research and it appears it may be the firing pin retaining pin that broke. I came across another post around here indicating that dry firing seems to help these retaining pins break faster.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this? and will snap caps protect it?

#14 ·
I've read several reports around the 'net where the roll pin has broken after a lot of dry fire. Without a round in the chamber the striker has enough room to travel forward and hit that pin. Over time this may cause the pin to break. I use snap caps in all my guns...cheap insurance.

#15 ·
I've read several reports around the 'net where the roll pin has broken after a lot of dry fire. Without a round in the chamber the striker has enough room to travel forward and hit that pin. Over time this may cause the pin to break. I use snap caps in all my guns...cheap insurance.
+1. When I'm doing a lot of dry firing I use a snap cap that has a spring loaded primer to cushion the firing pin.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.