Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will dry firing harm this weapon in any way? Some pistol manufactures warn not to dry fire.

Would someone kindly educate me as to the difference in the FCG and/or firing pins that makes dry firing detrimental in one pistol but fine in another?

·
Premium Member
2,497 Posts
Dry firing will do no damage what so ever to the XD... you have to dry fire it everytime you break it down

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
ditto
But never dry fire a 22 :(

·
Registered
1,013 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
Dry-firing is essential to proper pistol use. And my 22 rimfires LOVE being dry-fired!

·
Registered
167 Posts
meh, they give a different feel, and they come in handy for loading in with your live ammo

·
Registered
3 Posts
I actually found this forum tonight because my XD broke. I did a little research and it appears it may be the firing pin retaining pin that broke. I came across another post around here indicating that dry firing seems to help these retaining pins break faster.

Can anyone confirm (or deny) this? and will snap caps protect it?

·
Premium Member
330 Posts
I've read several reports around the 'net where the roll pin has broken after a lot of dry fire. Without a round in the chamber the striker has enough room to travel forward and hit that pin. Over time this may cause the pin to break. I use snap caps in all my guns...cheap insurance.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've read several reports around the 'net where the roll pin has broken after a lot of dry fire. Without a round in the chamber the striker has enough room to travel forward and hit that pin. Over time this may cause the pin to break. I use snap caps in all my guns...cheap insurance.
+1. When I'm doing a lot of dry firing I use a snap cap that has a spring loaded primer to cushion the firing pin.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts