Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am new to the shooting game and have found that all guns can not be dry fired. I did so with my Ruger. With my recent purchase of a 40 cal Xd I would like to do the same. So, can the Xd be dry fired?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just don't sit there and dry fire it 200 times in a row... I don't like that you HAVE to dry fire it to take it down, nice that they changed it on the XDM but it really doesn't help me out...

·
Registered
5,617 Posts
Just don't sit there and dry fire it 200 times in a row... I don't like that you HAVE to dry fire it to take it down, nice that they changed it on the XDM but it really doesn't help me out...
Uhhh...why not? I've done that MANY times. If I'm bored, I'll throw on a good action movie (in my ammo-free room), grab the pistol I need some work with, and start shooting all the bad guys :cool:

Seriously, I've dry fired my older XD's thousands of times in a few months. No damage, not even the striker retainer pin.

·
Registered
665 Posts
As everyone else has said, dry firing is ok. Technically you could eventually break the firing pin due to shock, but I have yet to see that happen and I've dry fired my XD thousands of times.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
Uhhh...why not? I've done that MANY times. If I'm bored, I'll throw on a good action movie (in my ammo-free room), grab the pistol I need some work with, and start shooting all the bad guys :cool:

Seriously, I've dry fired my older XD's thousands of times in a few months. No damage, not even the striker retainer pin.
I have done that with all my non-rim fire rifles. practice trigger control.

put a dime on your barrel and snap until you can snap and not loose the dime off the barrel

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
Dry firing the XD is fine, don't worry about it. It will teach you good trigger control, it's a great exercise.

Like it was said, you shouldn't dry fire a rim fire pistol though, as a 'general' rule of thumb.

·
Registered
649 Posts
O.K. to dry fire per Springfield.
Also FYI:
S&W Revolvers -----O.K. per S&W (Except Rimfires)
1100 Shotguns ----- O.K. per Remington
Regards, Pete

·
Registered
65 Posts
Just getting into IDPA, but the dry-fire is part of the unload and show clear process.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I practice dry firing often at home, usually using a snap cap in the gun. Dry firing should not harm your XD. Just double- and triple-check the gun is actually empty before doing it. Some people have a 'dedicated' dry fire room with no ammo present.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm also new... Please explain this "dime on the barrel" exercise.
Also, what do snap-caps do?

·
Registered
3,386 Posts
The dime on the barrel exercise is just simply a dime sitting on top of the barrel on the slide. Just practice dry firing, by keeping a steady hand, without flinching. The point is to not knock the dime off the slide and barrel when dry firing.

·
Registered
512 Posts
The dime on the barrel exercise is just simply a dime sitting on top of the barrel on the slide. Just practice dry firing, by keeping a steady hand, without flinching. The point is to not knock the dime off the slide and barrel when dry firing.
I've also used an empty shell casing standing on end. It's even harder (thus more frustrating for me!). If in doubt, get a snap cap. You can pull the slide back just enough to reset the trigger w/o ejecting it.

·
Premium Member
1,222 Posts
bulldog1, I think you get the point, dry-fire is just fine with the XD.

·
Registered
160 Posts
+1 for using a snap cap and the dime drill.

For the XD's, the dime can be placed on top of the front site instead of just the slide. That makes for a lot better practice.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts