Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this is an old topic, but I just want to bring it up again to see if you guys have found out something new about it.

Some people say you’re NOT supposed to dry fire XDs, some people say it doesn’t matter… Whichever the case I remember a couple of people complaining about the roll pin breaking on their pistols, I also understand that is an easy and very cheap fix.

What would happen if your roll pin breaks during live firing? This is what I’m really worried about. You never know when things are going to break, What if it breaks the day your really need your gun to save your live?

I personally dry fire my XD 9 hundreds of times a week and I think this is a common practice that most people do. Many people do it without snap caps.

Any experience?

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
i have a hard time believing that the force the firing pin spring has breaking that roll pin. If not, those roll pins are easy to get.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
What would happen if your roll pin breaks during live firing? This is what I’m really worried about. You never know when things are going to break, What if it breaks the day your really need your gun to save your live?
Pick up a handful of them at your local hardware store and change it every so many rounds if you wish, or you could use a snapcap. I know people that dry fire ALOT, including myself and my wife and have had no problems. If it does break, your backplate will retain everything. If it breaks when you need it, you better be on aim with your first shot...lol
Everything is prone to wearing out, where do you draw the line with each part?

·
Registered
452 Posts
The only person that I've heard actually have one break during dry-fire was I grand master USPSA shooter over at the Brian Enos forums who figured he had dry-fired his XD something like 10 or 12 thousand times.

As ichy said if you're realy worried about it pick a handful of extras. I believe that was basically the recomendation over on the Enos forums.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The only time I dry fire the XD without a snap cap is when I break it down to clean. Never had a problem yet *knocks on wood*

·
Registered
149 Posts
Apologies for the "newbie" questions: what is dry firing, and what are snap caps?

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
darkfire said:
Apologies for the "newbie" questions: what is dry firing, and what are snap caps?
Dry firing is pulling the trigger without a round in the chamber to practice trigger control and in the case of the XD to start the field strip process. In either case, be sure it's unloaded first. Snap caps are dummy rounds used to cushion the firing pin. XDTom40 posted a picture below your question. Could be a solid hard rubber, metal or plastic unit or as in the picture, a plastic case with a brass end and spring to emulate the cushion of the primer.

·
Registered
149 Posts
TomSwift said:
darkfire said:
Dry firing is pulling the trigger without a round in the chamber. Snap caps are dummy rounds used to cushion the firing pin. XDTom40 posted a picture below your question. Could be a solid hard rubber, metal or plastic unit or as in the picture, a plastic case with a brass end and spring to emulate the cushion of the primer.
Thanks for the education. And Modulus - my thoughts exactly :)
Anyone know where I can purchase a SnapCap online?

·
Registered
435 Posts
I have the other types too, the orange plastic ones. I like the one I posted above better though, it is a 9mm, but I don't have a 9mm anymore. I bought that one off Gunbroker for $6. I only needed one in that instance and it was better than paying $20 or so for 5. Just watch if you use plastic ones at the range for ball and dummy practice, I have heard the plastic ones can melt in your hot chamber.

Ajames sells the orange ones on his site. They are inexpensive.

Sorry I didn't caption the photo above. I didn't see your request for dry firing. :)

·
Registered
149 Posts
XDTOM40 said:
I have the other types too, the orange plastic ones. I like the one I posted above better though, it is a 9mm, but I don't have a 9mm anymore. I bought that one off Gunbroker for $6. I only needed one in that instance and it was better than paying $20 or so for 5. Just watch if you use plastic ones at the range for ball and dummy practice, I have heard the plastic ones can melt in your hot chamber.

Ajames sells the orange ones on his site. They are inexpensive.

Sorry I didn't caption the photo above. I didn't see your request for dry firing. :)
And I thought you were just being a clown! Thanks for the tips, I'll check out Ajames site as well. Cheers!

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
TX XD said:
Some people say you’re NOT supposed to dry fire XDs, some people say it doesn’t matter… Whichever the case I remember a couple of people complaining about the roll pin breaking on their pistols, I also understand that is an easy and very cheap fix.
dry fireing is not as bad for the gun as some people make it out to be. it is a fact that dryfireing does put wear on the gun.... just very very very little. am i worried about dryfireing breaking my gun? NO, i dryfire about 30min every day.

do roll pins break? Yes, i broke mine at around the 5k mark (in the middle of a combat pistol class :? ). was it a result of me dryfireing all the time? i dont know for sure.

TX XD said:
when mine broke in the middle of the class, the only thing that happend was the firing pin remained engaged. when the slide tried to close and chamber another round, the case head would get caught on the extruding fireing pin and not allow the round to even come out of the mag.

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
Old School said:
Steve Anderson blew a roll pin. I think TENGU did too. Snap Caps are a good idea.
Yep, this is true.

After the first day of a firearms class that had us dry firing a lot, I went home and did some dry work. That's when the roll pin cracked.

I didn't have a replacement, so I had to remove it and turn it sideways so I could finish the class the next day.

·
Registered
409 Posts
cheap snap caps can also be made from an expended case with an eraser cut and fitted in the primer pocket . I made like that.

BE AWARE!!!!!!!! If you do this you need to mark the case well as not to grab a live round and chamber. (thats if you reseat a bullet in the casing)

1 - 20 of 26 Posts