Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I took down my XD to approximately 80% including everything on slide except chamber indicator and extractor...and on the frame...i took out locking block, and trigger only. As I was gathering tools together I ran accross my bottle of Dry Chain Lube, used on Bicycle chains, and thought it might work well on some of the parts. Before I do it though I wanted to consult all u experts.

this Dry Chain Lube contains PTFE (PolyTetraFluoroEthylene) ie. Teflon. Can i use this on internal gun parts, springs etc?

thanks for your input.

·
Registered
435 Posts
I really cannot answer your question, but I always wonder why people are looking at "alternatives" for good gun care products. I only use things on my guns that are tested and made for guns. Cleaning, lubrication products are not that expensive considering the investment you have in your guns.

Not directing this towards you by any means. I just see posts like these often on more than just a few forums and it just surprises me what some people try to use on weapons.

·
Registered
166 Posts
If you are asking if Teflon is safe to use on your gun, yes is it perfectly fine. Many brands use Teflon in their brand of lubricants so even though the active ingredient is the same, different Teflon products will differ in their qualities based on what they were designed for. Basically, until you buy a semiautomatic bicycle chain, the dry lubricant you're talking about was probably not meant for firearms.

I see a LOT of postings about lubricant, and even more about lack thereof. I am surprised I haven't seen many postings for Militec-1, which is a machine-grade, synthetic lubricant. Like Syntec for your car, Militec-1 is designed to bond to metal after repeated applications. You put it on, let it sit, then wipe it dry. After 3 or more applications, you will have a gun that is "dry" (not drowned in oil) and will have NO lubrication problems. It will also repel dirt and can be cleaned with nothing more than a rag if it gets dusty.

It was a lifesaver (literally) for me in Iraq.

It is a little more expensive than other brands (about $8 per oz. for civilians) but well worth it. Militec provides it free to any military member who asks for it, and gets free samples to law enforcement.

Check out their websit: www.militec-1.com

·
Registered
345 Posts
I would say no. Most of the chain lube I've ever used on my bike attracted so much dirt etc. Plus I think that cleaning it would make it a bitch to try and get that crap off...

·
Registered
47 Posts
I wouldn't. The dry chain lubes were designed and are good for wet environments, not so good for dry. They tend to be a bit waxy and by nature attract and hold dirt and grit when used in dry conditions. The Militec previously mentioned would be a better option imo for a dryer lube.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
If I remember correctly, Eezox started life as a bicycle product.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
WARHEAD'Z said:
I ALWAYS USE BREAKFREE CLP. IT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MARINE CORPS SO IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.
Good gravy man, stop yelling would ya?!?!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
I prefer dry lubricats on my trigger group as they do not tend to hold dirt and get gummy.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have over 3000 rounds through a service and tactical that have only been lubed with dry moly since they were new. Both show no wear.
I started using dry moly on 22 semiauto rifles that gunk up after 400-500 rounds and the dry moly stopped that problem on the 22s so I started out with it on my XDs. I do use CLP for the exterior.

·
Registered
7 Posts
MPSoldier said:
I see a LOT of postings about lubricant, and even more about lack thereof. I am surprised I haven't seen many postings for Militec-1, which is a machine-grade, synthetic lubricant. Like Syntec for your car, Militec-1 is designed to bond to metal after repeated applications. You put it on, let it sit, then wipe it dry. After 3 or more applications, you will have a gun that is "dry" (not drowned in oil) and will have NO lubrication problems. It will also repel dirt and can be cleaned with nothing more than a rag if it gets dusty.
This stuff looks interesting! I'm going to order a bottle and give it a try. Pretty happy with CLP right now, but I'm always open to something better.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Dry graphite powder in the trigger group and M-1 Rifle Grease on the slide rails...thats all I use on any autopistol. No dirt attracting in the trigger and no oil flying off the rails when I shoot. I might wipe the slide down with CLP after cleaning but I keep it pretty oil-free on the whole.

Works for me.

-Brickboy240

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for all your comments. I was in the store today and saw a bottle of Distoec XFR (blue wonder) for $1.98. So I'll use it and call it a day.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
9,135 Posts
WARHEAD'Z said:
tec said:
WARHEAD'Z said:
I ALWAYS USE BREAKFREE CLP. IT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MARINE CORPS SO IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME.

All of you po-type-a-cally correct computer nerds crack me up.....

THIS IS NOT ME YELLING..... THIS WOULD BE ME YELLING

well stop it would ya, what are ya blind? :lol:

·
Registered
595 Posts
tec said:
WARHEAD'Z said:
Pertaining to "CAPS"..... All of you po-type-a-cally correct computer nerds crack me up..... :roll: So let me make this perfectly clear.....

THIS.....is not me yelling....................THIS..... is just an emphasizer to the point attempting to be made.

THIS WOULD BE ME YELLING !!!!!

so again I say..... "I ALWAYS USE BREAKFREE CLP. IT IS GOOD ENOUGH FOR THE MARINE CORPS SO IT'S GOOD ENOUGH FOR ME."

SEMPER FI YOU KNUCKLEHEAD :lol:

·
Registered
42 Posts
A quick note on dry bike lubes. The entire idea behind the "dry lube" is that it does not attract dirt nearly as must as oils and greases. Try using conventional oil on a chain, travel 100 miles and then completely clean it off and note the grittiness. Now lube up with dry lube and try it again.

That said, I don't know how well it would hold up in a gun as they are not classified as high pressure lubes. Also note that not all dry lubes are created equal.

By the way, I'm an avid cyclist for over 35 years.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Uhh, yeah well contrary to earlier posts, "dry" wax-based bike lubes are NOT for wet environments. Read the packages...most of them say right on there. How do I know? Well for one, I'm a pretty hard-core mountain biker and have been for years and I have used most of the products on the market. Second, I live in Utah, which is mainly desert and dirt/dust is a major problem with bikes here. Most local riders and bike mechanics around here use dry lubes because...when the solvents evaporate, they leave a wax-based film on the chain that is DRY so dust and dirt do not stick to them as well. Try using a conventional "wet" lube, which is pretty much any chain oil on a bike out here and within a short time it will sound like you are riding over Rice Krispies as the dirt eats away at your chain. Heavy "wet" lubes are great for wet environments because...oil and water don't mix, thus the water will not wash the lube off your chain very well. All this being said, there is no reason why a "dry" lube would not work well on your XD. Blue Wonder Armadillo has been used by many here not only as a protectant but as a "dry" lube on slide rails, etc. I use CLP pretty religiously, but when I know I'm going out to the desert to shoot for the weekend, I'll wipe my XD down as much as possible and put a coat of either Armadillo or Pedro's Ice Wax on my XD...it really helps cut down on the gunk in the XD at the end of the day.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Try this,you won't go back! Mix 15-50w mobil one with breakfree. Try 3 pts. mobil 1 to 1 pt. breakfree. You can't buy a better lube than this at any price. Be sure to shake it up before use.

·
Registered
42 Posts
That's a half gallon of lube. Good or bad as it may be, that would be enough for at least a few lifetimes (for me) unless you really pour it on. It only takes a few drops each time. Then again, it's not like I have to clean and lube a lot of guns.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts