Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While field stripping my XD-.40 I accidentally dropped the slide on concrete.
The finish was scraped of in some areas. Should I be concerned with it going to rust? I love my .40 and put close to 850 rounds so far. Any input will be deeply appreciated. thank you:(

·
Registered
7,687 Posts
Probably not. If you keep it oiled or rubbed with silcone cloth you should be fine. All black finished weapons will end up with scratches and missing finish the more you use them anyway. It adds character.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bare metal will corrode. Depending on the location the corrosion will only result in a cosmetic blemish. It's should not be too bad if you keep a light coating of your favorite quality oil applied.

This could be a great opportunity to justify a custom refinish job!!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
Bare metal will corrode. Depending on the location the corrosion will only result in a cosmetic blemish. It's should not be too bad if you keep a light coating of your favorite quality oil applied.

This could be a great opportunity to justify a custom refinish job!!
The melonite finish on the XD's are not coatings, they are metal treatments....just because their are shiny spots does not mean it will rust.

OP.....bones heal and chicks dig scars...as long as its not to rough to touch....leave it be....gives it character

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Sucks. But it's not the end of the world. Just keep it oiled or use a product like EEZOX. If you are freaked by the damage, you can refinish it or have smith fix it up to like new condition.

I'd just leave it and when anyone asks, give some hokey line about it's from the face of the last SOB that bothered you...;)

·
Banned
38,920 Posts
Battle scar.

I wouldn't worry about it.
Yea, through that bitch around a few more times, and then tell stories about how it saved your life :rolleyes:

Sorry to hear this, but such is life - XD9 Fails ... The bitch has scars :mrgreen:
Don't worry, be happy :wink:

·
Registered
163 Posts
"The melonite finish on the XD's are not coatings, they are metal treatments....just because their are shiny spots does not mean it will rust."

Melonite is a treatment not a coating. It is however a surface treatment. If the damage does not exceed the thickness of the treatment the corrosion resistant layer will remain intact upon the substrate material.

I only stated bare metal will corrode and an oil coating should keep corrosion to a minimum. Sorry for any confusion.

And chicks dig scars!!!!

·
Registered
6,595 Posts
"The melonite finish on the XD's are not coatings, they are metal treatments....just because their are shiny spots does not mean it will rust."

Melonite is a treatment not a coating. It is however a surface treatment. If the damage does not exceed the thickness of the treatment the corrosion resistant layer will remain intact upon the substrate material.

I only stated bare metal will corrode and an oil coating should keep corrosion to a minimum. Sorry for any confusion.

And chicks dig scars!!!!
True...it is only so thick

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Added charactor.;)

·
Registered
14,586 Posts
This is an XD? I'd be more worried about the concrete.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I wanted to add character to my XD40 so I put the slide in the sink and turned on the garbage disposal.

When people ask what happened I tell them that I was scuba diving when a shark tried to attack me. Luckily, it tried to take a bite out of my gun and not my hand so I was still able to put a few rounds into its skull.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I feel your pain ! It's like dropping one of your kids .
If it bothers you that much send it to Springfield with a sob story, they may fix it for you for free. Tell them that you just bought it and how much you love their gun.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
As many have said, I wouldn't be very worried about the cosmetic appearance.

However, do please check the slides operation very carefully to ensure it was not slightly bent/misaligned in the impact, which might alter its ability to actually "slide" properly. This may be more important in firearms like a 1911, where it would impact multiple mechanicals - but is still very important on a striker fire, as it could wear polymers, just plain not function, stress springs, etc. Do please check it with more than just visual inspection, also "rack" it several times unloaded, and perhaps very carefully monitor the first few (ideally underpowered) rounds on your next range trip.

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
The melonite finish on the XD's are not coatings, they are metal treatments....just because their are shiny spots does not mean it will rust.

OP.....bones heal and chicks dig scars...as long as its not to rough to touch....leave it be....gives it character
I can vouch for this statement.

My XD Service has worn spots on the slide where the black is gone and has been like that for over a year.

No rust.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Had a similar incident with my G19 a couple years back. Never had any issues with rust or corrosion. Just regular cleaning and maintenance. This is my primary carry / knock around piece now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Mebbe if you lived in Florida or the Texas cost you would want to have some concern but I would bet that it will only give you a story to tell about the scar. I hear that gunpowder residue covers that up anyway. ;)

·
Registered
55 Posts
just leave it, it's just a reminder to be more careful next time lol

·
Premium Member
4,823 Posts
Eh, just buy a new one, and use this one for spare parts.

Sent from my CrackBerry using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts