Springfield XD Forum banner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts
My xd9sc has a few scratches on it including a ding from having TFO's installed. My xd45 has a small scratch on the slide as well. No biggy.... none of my guns are safe queens.

Yeah I fully trust my XD's I dropped my XDM 40 with one in the pipe
on hardwood floor and nothing happened to it, and it didn't fire as expected.

It was between my mattress and the frame of the bed...:rolleyes: on "nightstand duty"

I dropped my XD9 nose first onto a porcelain tub---scared the bejesus out of me, among other things :)

This is not to crack on anyone who is in the security business....
But I went to pick up a trade pistol today from a local shop/shooting range. As I was waiting a SECURITY NINJA came in. 5.11 pants, blackhawk serpa retention holster, under armour extreme gear shirt under is black shirt with SECURITY written on the back in 6" letters. Comes in like Joey BadA$$, wants to get his certificate for training and I think they went into the range as well. This place does security training classes...any-hoo he starts fiddling with everything on his belt. Cuffs, spray, kitchen sink, etc....took out his Sig P225 (the german single stack) and starts talking with the shop guy about it. He goes to holster it and THUMP...THUMP...WTFWT? :shock: "Damn. Can't even put it in my holster."
Man, I felt safer already. Had to walk away laughing.

Yeah, it should have been holstered. I was just hoping that the safties held as it dropped. ;)
KHAR's don't have safeties, they are DAO. I can identify though. When I was 21, many many many moons ago, the snap on my nylon shoulder holster for my Glock 22 (The old school pre-ban model) fell out when I bent over and it took a spill in the driveway. I was mad as hell, said a few choice things, but it didn't come out any worse for wear. But, it is one of those breath taking moments that make you really mad.

These stories remind me of my first auto pistol.
I bought it during the good ol' days at a gun show when I was 13 (gave guardian the money I had been saving and they picked it up).

It was a cheap 1911 surplus pistol. I think one of the Star Supers..anywho, I was so proud of it and would always take it apart and clean it..probably everyday and 1 day I was sitting outside cleaning it after a day of walking around on my property target shooting.. I pulled the slide lock down and it slid off so fast I couldn't catch it and it hit the cement sidewalk, bounced off and landed in sand. Not only did the front sight chip and the slide get a huge scratch..all the sand stuck to the oil I had yet to wipe off. I heard gritty sand for months after whenever i'd rack the slide. I douched the slide out with every gun cleaner I could find at that age and time and couldn't seem to ever get that last lil sand granule out :oops:

ahhhh memories.

No scratches that I can make out but a little nick on the frame at the top of the grip saftey. Camera is broke so no pics.

That is all.
The unanswered question is:
Is the driveway ok? ( the XD was never in danger lol )

Discussion starter · #30 ·
Haha, yeah, the driveway is worse off.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Camera is broke, dropped you prized possession, now what is next.

It always comes in three's
Scratched the sh!t out of my truck today while hunting. Ya had to go and say something didn't you?
Luckily for me my Xmas present from the wife is to have my truck's paint repaired.

MANY years ago, decades in fact, I had just went home with current girlfriend to her apt. Once inside I headed to the defecation chamber to relieve "that uncomfortable feeling" that had been building for a bit.

Once inside, I turned around and unbuckled my belt, the right end of which, being weighted down by my holstered Combat Commander, slipped out of my hand. Freed from the restraint of my hand, and accelerated by the weight of the holstered pistol, the end of the belt slipped through the first loop. This, in turn, freed the holstered Combat Comander to flip around, fly off the end of the belt and plop into the (clean,fortunately) toilet.

SPLASH!

Chit! (NO not YET! Get the damn gun out first..)

Retrieved the pistol, set it on the counter, then took care of business. (You can assume all manner of cussing and yelling, causing girlfriend to come to the door asking was I OK and if she needed to call 911)

After the paperwork was done, moved to the kitchen table with paper towels, an old blouse and sewing machine oil. While I was stripping the pistol and drying the pieces, she made herself useful (once she stopped laughing) and got out a hair dryer to dry the holster.

Within an hour or so, everything was dried lubed and back together. The rest of the evening I'll leave to the imagination.

xcpd69, I have the opinion that you have given us WTMI (WAAAY too much information).

While being fortunate enough that the firmest thing I ever dropped a weapon onto was a rice paddy, I've taken to measuring my sights with digital calipers (depth gauge) when I get a new one.

My current newbie is an XD-9 SC and each measurement is from the slide to the sight at the contact point in the groove bottom

Left front: 5.6mm (0.224") Right front: 6.0mm (0.237")
Left rear: 3.2mm (0.128") Right rear: 3.5mm (0.149")

Close enough to center (I've never had one exact).

My son, however is not so fortunate having his Glock 22 ripped out of his holster by an errant falling bag of money. He drives an armored truck and by chance, you may have heard of him. He was written about in Rolling Stone magazine recently. He was the one who discovered the 8.2 million dollars missing from the depot, money which was taken by Roger Dillon, his girlfriend and her mother. The third largest heist in American history happened less than a mile from my home and my son was a principle player in the FBI investigation. But, that's just an interest story, and not for this thread.

The 22 did not fair so well. We think the rear sight caught the bumper or the concrete after being flipped by the bumper. With the added exertion of force by the bag, something went awry. Next rip to the range had the Glock shooting about 18" - 24" to the left of the target. Measurement with my calipers showed the rear sight had moved a considerable amount as it was nearly flush with the left side. We never really did measure his weapon when new, but he said it was visibly off center when he got it and that it sighted just fine then. It took a little time, but we drifted it back into place. I don't know whether the Glock's hourglass groove had any part in it being moved so easily. I don't know if XD's have an hourglass groove or not, but visually it's hard to tell.

So, should one happen to drop a weapon conveniently on a dovetail sight with enough force, one can cause some problems. But, this particular problem is an easy fix.

I Dropped my XD Service Slide the other day on the fancy white rock sidewalk, no dings, some minor scratches; dusted the slide off, retrieved my guide wolff guide rod from the bushes, spring from the end of the sidewalk, barrel from behind my feet, and reassembled putting 20 rounds through the x at 10 yards. (the only side effect, now I have to get a new rock for my sidewalk (broke that sucker clean in two.) :/

21 - 39 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.