Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 20 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how severely has the xd9 been drop tested? I was at the range today on a cold winters day and someones dog came and ran between my legs and I dropped the gun while loaded and it fired a round off (down range, it hit the dirt back stop). So my question is, how safe are these things when dropped?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
You should call springfield and have them check it. It should not have fired. I've dropped my gun from chest high on concrete and it hasn't fired.

·
Registered
5,908 Posts
#1 - the sear disconnect should have prevented that discharge

#2 - a dog running between your legs - what the heck? So either the dog was coming off the range or was going toward it - either way, not a safe range practice

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
No way that gun should have fired. Send it back.

No offense, but I'm having a hard time buying your story.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
#1 - the sear disconnect should have prevented that discharge

#2 - a dog running between your legs - what the heck? So either the dog was coming off the range or was going toward it - either way, not a safe range practice
there is concrete we stand on to fire....the range owners have dogs...the dogs ran down the concrete i was standing on and since i stand in weaver stance there is a little room for a dog to run between my legs...the dog ran between my legs and tripped me up. no one yelled a cease fire either

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I'm sure the insurance company would love the idea of dogs running loose in a range. Good way to have a very bad accident. Personally I wouldn't visit a range like that.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm sure the insurance company would love the idea of dogs running loose in a range. Good way to have a very bad accident. Personally I wouldn't visit a range like that.
how was i supposed to know the dog would get out of the range office and take off running and just happen to decide to go for my legs rather than the 6 people standing between me and the door it ran out of?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I dropped the gun while loaded and it fired a round off (down range, it hit the dirt back stop).
So the gun landed on it's side and fired? The drop safety prevents the striker bar from moving forward so that would have to fail.

Million dollar question - Any mods to the gun (trigger job, safety bar, polishing internals)?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
how was i supposed to know the dog would get out of the range office and take off running and just happen to decide to go for my legs rather than the 6 people standing between me and the door it ran out of?
Not blaming you, the owners are irresponsible.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So the gun landed on it's side and fired? The drop safety prevents the striker bar from moving forward so that would have to fail.

Million dollar question - Any mods to the gun (trigger job, safety bar, polishing internals)?
no mods. im not really sure how it landed, all i remember is dropping the gun, heard a bang, missing a round in the mag.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
no mods. im not really sure how it landed, all i remember is dropping the gun, heard a bang, missing a round in the mag.
Well, since the round went downrange it would have had to land facing downrange. If there are no mods you should definitely get that to SA for examination. I assume you checked the case and the there was a primer strike. In order for that to happen the safety bar would have to push the safety up so the striker can move. Either that or there is not enough sear engagement so either way SA needs to check it out.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts

I dont think it would function if it were not being held.. But it could.

For the naysayers, I worked with a guy who dropped his XD45 and it shot him in the leg. Another person I know had the their XD fire after they racked a round into the chamber. Both reload lead bullets that love to gum things up AND they way over lubed the guns. In both cases the works were so gummed up the firing pin block were inoperable because they were stuck in the 'off' position. I seen the one where it fired after being racked.

Do you shoot lead reloads and over lube your pistol? If things are not gummed up and all is fine, I would send it in.......

·
Registered
102 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, since the round went downrange it would have had to land facing downrange. If there are no mods you should definitely get that to SA for examination. I assume you checked the case and the there was a primer strike. In order for that to happen the safety bar would have to push the safety up so the striker can move. Either that or there is not enough sear engagement so either way SA needs to check it out.
yeah i found the casing, it was the only aluminum one on the ground since it was a fresh mag of blazer in a mound of brass. the primer was hit just like any of the others...do they charge my for shipping there? when they ship it back does it have to be through an ffl?

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I dont think it would function if it were not being held.. But it could.

For the naysayers, I worked with a guy who dropped his XD45 and it shot him in the leg. Another person I know had the their XD fire after they racked a round into the chamber. Both reload lead bullets that love to gum things up AND they way over lubed the guns. In both cases the works were so gummed up the firing pin block were inoperable because they were stuck in the 'off' position. I seen the one where it fired after being racked.

Do you shoot lead reloads and over lube your pistol? If things are not gummed up and all is fine, I would send it in.......
Even with the striker safety depressed the gun shouldn't fire when being racked unless the trigger is pulled after the striker has been pulled back far enough to have enough force to strike the primer hard enough to ignite it.

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
yeah i found the casing, it was the only aluminum one on the ground since it was a fresh mag of blazer in a mound of brass. the primer was hit just like any of the others...do they charge my for shipping there? when they ship it back does it have to be through an ffl?
Since what you are describing is a problem with the gun and a potential safety issue they normally cover shipping and can ship it directly to them and they will ship back directly to you.

·
Registered
4,869 Posts
Yes call SA tell them what happened and they should ship it back on their dime. SA has awesome customer service. good luck.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Even with the striker safety depressed the gun shouldn't fire when being racked unless the trigger is pulled after the striker has been pulled back far enough to have enough force to strike the primer hard enough to ignite it.

I know.

I also keep ALL my firearms lubed and cleaned proper. My XD9 has never had any problems. It is lubed proper and kept clean. Not over lubing helps keep it clean.

The police tested the XD45 and gave the test results. He keeps it very clean now with alot less lube. I was watching the second one and there was no finger on the trigger.

·
Registered
284 Posts
I would seriously consider finding another range. A range is a dangerous place as is, you don't need wildlife running around to ramp things up.

I agree with everyone else. Call SA and ship it to them to see whats up. I actually dropped my XD 9 in dirt when doing quick draw drills but luckily nothing happened.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
These guns are designed to not fire when dropped. Something is definitely wrong. I wouldn't want to own an XD knowing that it could go off if dropped.

I still don't see how it would be possible knowing how these guns operate:confused:

1 - 20 of 123 Posts