Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
From what I have learned so far;
Before crossing into Illinois I should unload my weapon and magazines and place them in a case designed to carry fire arms and place ammunition in separate area.

Is this about right?
Thanks!

·
Registered
61 Posts
From what I have learned so far;
Before crossing into Illinois I should unload my weapon and magazines and place them in a case designed to carry fire arms and place ammunition in separate area.

Is this about right?
Thanks!
That is about right. I believe they also need to be out of reach of the driver. Such as in the trunk of the car.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Speaking as an Illinois resident,

It has to be unloaded, in a case designed to house a firearm and your good. As always you have to be able to own a firearm in your home state. There is nothing that says the ammo has to be separated from the gun or keeping it in the trunk. The loaded mags can be in the same case as the gun. Wheel guns and revolvers both can even have loose rounds in the case as long as they cant make it into the gun. Of course, if you are stopped by police, comply and be polite!

·
Registered
61 Posts
Speaking as an Illinois resident,

It has to be unloaded, in a case designed to house a firearm and your good. As always you have to be able to own a firearm in your home state. There is nothing that says the ammo has to be separated from the gun or keeping it in the trunk. The loaded mags can be in the same case as the gun. Wheel guns and revolvers both can even have loose rounds in the case as long as they cant make it into the gun. Of course, if you are stopped by police, comply and be polite!
Thanks for clearing that up. I've always got wrong information apparently. Good info to know next time i drive through IL.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for clearing that up. I've always got wrong information apparently. Good info to know next time i drive through IL.
Just avoid chicago/crook county if you can. They can stand for you to have 2A rights.

·
Registered
488 Posts
A week ago I made a trip through Illinois and kept my Kimber in a lock box cabled to the passenger seat,magazine was separated from the box so I think thats OK,according to Illinois law.Of coarse I wasnt pulled over to test the waters,thankfully.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys.
Glad to hear a report that I don't have to unload my magazines. I wasn't sure on this point.
Apparently there are multiple laws, enforced by different Ill agencies.

What I do know is that the family will pee and eat in St Louis, the car will have plenty of fuel the cruise control will be set and we won't spend a second in Illinois longer than it takes to get to Indiana.

·
Registered
264 Posts
dont go through IL....its a black hole in the middle of America. drive around it, no matter how many extra miles it is.

·
Premium Member
2,416 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I did have to decide what was more risky, travelling through Illinois or making my wife and I stay in the car 2.5 hours longer by taking the southern route.
I take solace knowing I won't spend a dime in that awful state.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Yeah, Its a pimple on the forehead of America, but I gotta stay and show somebody in power they cant have my guns. 90% of downstaters here are pro carry including 75% of all the county sheriffs departments have signed to that. Its mostly the Crook County people like Daley. Who, by the way, is anti-2A, but has requested he have armed security with him at all times since Emanuel is taking over. Interesting....

·
Registered
45 Posts
I'm from Wisconsin and shoot Cowboy Action in Illinois all the time with several Illinois LEOs. Unloaded and
cased seems to be enough every place but Cook County. A recently retired Chicago PD officer told friends of mine to not even come in to the city with handguns.
All competition shooters that live in the city are taking a chance on being felons when leaving their house.
On the other hand, I was pulled over on a holiday weekend near Rock Island by a State trooper. I was driving my pickup going to a Charity shoot and my passenger seat was full to shoulder height with gun cases for pistols and long guns and a case of shotgun shells. I told him where I was going and all he said was "They aren't loaded are they?" and gave me a warning.

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
IL law actually says that your center console is a "Case". It does not have to be a gun case just anything that can fully zip, button, tie, snap,.... and the gun can not be seen or gotten to with out opening said case. It is on an info pamphlet put out by the IL state police so not just hearsay. The gun does not have to be out of reach of the driver either. I would just take the clip out. Lock the slide to the rear and keep it in the center console. Good luck.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts