Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm thinking about jumping into the world that is 1911. I've shot a few over the years, but not a lot. Most of my friends tend to stick by the polymer framed pistols as they can buy 2 of those for the price of one 1911. I've done a bit of poking around, and put my name on the list for a Ruger SR1911 from my LGS when they get one from their distributor. I've got a little while to decide if that is the route I want to go for sure, but I figured I'd ask here for some first hand experience. I have NOT held one of these in my hands yet. I've called just about every shop within 100 miles and nobody has one for me to fondle at this point. I'd like to get into the 1911 game with something reliable, and more importantly, affordable, which the $799MSRP seems to be. LGS said I could probably get out the door for a little over $600. If it ends up being a platform that I enjoy the crap out of, I have no problems spending more significant coin on higher end toys. Basically just wanted confirmation that the Ruger entry into the 1911 market would be a good place to start.

Also, any suggestions on who makes a nice leather, OWB, left handed high-ride holster, preferably with a thumb break that sits in front of the hammer till I get comfortable carrying C&L would be appreciated.

·
21,872 Posts
Once you get one. You are going to love it. You are not going to want to keep it stock.!

Although I dont have it yet. I plan to get a Crossbreed holster for this baby!

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
Check out an STI Spartan. Its a really hard gun to beat for the money. MSRP is around $700.00 but retail should be around $650 or less.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I got my SR1911 on 3 May, first to arrive at one local store that I had been calling since the official announcement in April. 1461 rounds so far, 1295 of those my reloads. Only problems have been a few FTFeed but those were due to poor crimps on my first 45acp reloads. I am very happy with this new 1911 in 2011.

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Personaly I am a Springfield guy because my first 1911 was a Springfield Loaded Black Stainless Taget model, and it has been great. With that said I am not a hater of other 1911 manufacturers. All I have read about the SR1911 has been that they are excellent right out of the box, 100% reliable so I want one myself but first I still want Springfield's new Range Officer which also has been an excellent pistol for those who purchased them.So my next order of purchase is Springfield Range Officer and then the Ruger SR1911, after that I set my sights on a Wilson or Ed Brown.

·
Premium Member
4,971 Posts
I like the Remington R1. Got it for less than $700.00. But it is the base model. Remington has two othe R1's that are the Enhanced and the Centennial. Both are ove $1000.00 What sold me on the R1 are the huge sights that come on it.

·
Registered
481 Posts
I picked up my Desert Eagle 1911 for for $620 and it competes with guns worth twice that price. Its actually a BUL Israel gun imported by Magnum Research.

I'm a 1911 guy for life, cant wait to save up some more cash and pick up another one...

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
The Ruger is a GREAT place to start. If the Ruger had been around back when I bought my Springer GI....I probably would have went with the Ruger.

Welcome to the Kool Aid! LOL.....this Kool Aid is actually good for you.

- brickboy240

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
Rock Island is a great beginner 1911 but go for the extras, it'll save in upgrade costs. Suggestion: RIA 1911 Tactical. Has most of the needed upgrades and runs about $489 most LGS.
Fondle a bunch and see what you like and order it that way.

·
Registered
416 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the Ruger and a Springfield Loaded Parkerized for my first 1911. I love my XD45, so I've got a soft spot for Springers. But there's something to be said for a gun made in the good ol' U.S of A.

·
Registered
5,700 Posts
I'm trying to decide between the Ruger and a Springfield Loaded Parkerized for my first 1911. I love my XD45, so I've got a soft spot for Springers. But there's something to be said for a gun made in the good ol' U.S of A.
that was my number one reason for getting the SR1911 on 3 May. My second reason was value for price - I think I got a lot of 1911 for the money.

·
Registered
892 Posts
Took my first sip of the 1911 Kool Aid and did it taste good.

·
Registered
31,246 Posts
Yes, it is amazing that Ruger can offer a totally made in USA 1911 in stainless and of that build quality. The Springers and Rock Islands are not made here. Kimbers are made here, but even their lower tier Custom II is still priced much higher than the Ruger and it is not stainless.

Go with the Ruger! Hell...I have been shooting 1911s for 20 some odd years and I want one! LOL

- brickboy240

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Just out of curiosity only. I hear the made in the USA issue brought up a lot with 1911s. Why does it seem that everyone overlooks S&W 1911s in this regard?

·
Registered
265 Posts
Just out of curiosity only. I hear the made in the USA issue brought up a lot with 1911s. Why does it seem that everyone overlooks S&W 1911s in this regard?
Probably because they are not $600. S&W 1911s are generally $900 and up, right? – most being in the $1200 range. Usually too much for those looking for a made-in-the-USA, entry level 1911.

·
Registered
8,632 Posts
Depends which model, but for the most part a fair assessment. I purchased mine for 850.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
From the ones I've shot in the past, I'm fairly certain this won't be the only 1911 in my collection. I'll likely end up with a springfield or two, a RIA, and other variants. Only ones I haven't been REAL impressed with were the Kimber's. They're nice, but I think I can get as much performance out of other brands for a fraction of the cost. If I'm going to drop big coin on a 1911, it'll be a custom gun. Sounds like a Ruger won't be a bad place for me to start. Thanks for the info!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts