Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm putting together a summer build . The key is to keep it with in my budget but still using quality and functional parts. So it's meat and potatos no fancy fixings on the side. With that in mind I've selected 3 muzzles devices that I'm considering for my build that I feel can add functional value. Feel free to share your experience or opinion of each of the muzzle devices listed.
Here are the three I'm considering.

Vltor VC-1

PWS Triad

Micor Industries

·
Registered
793 Posts
What exactly are the benefits of each? Is there a significant difference between them? I ask out of pure curiosity, I have no real idea of what they do other than dampen the muzzle flash for low light shooting.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
They all have the same claim of good flash suppression and decrease in muzzle rise. They been kinda a pain to research and find video on. All appear to be better then the stock A2 birdcage. Thats why I'm having trouble deciding and looking for input or links to reviews,articles or videos. I only found one video fror each thats worth watching and getting any feedback from.

·
Registered
730 Posts
They all have the same claim of good flash suppression and decrease in muzzle rise. They been kinda a pain to research and find video on. All appear to be better then the stock A2 birdcage. Thats why I'm having trouble deciding and looking for input or links to reviews,articles or videos. I only found one video fror each thats worth watching and getting any feedback from.
The Miculek website has a great presentation on suppressors/compensators. (Google).

It does a lot of 'splaining, Lucy. Who knows.......you may find something to add to your "list"!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
PRICE! Half to a third the cost. I'm on a budget and they fit with in it. I'm doing a full thread sometime soon. Just waiting on a few more pieces and the lower will be done. It's more of a SHTF/Home defense weapon. Something I don't mind thrashing hard! Besides I want something a little different then the normal stuff to test and review.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've researched and reviewed a ton of comps/flash hiders. Just looking for something different on this build. My next build 18-20" SPR will have a "True" muzzle break. I used the Rainier XTC on my first build and love it but it's rather loud!

·
Registered
2,776 Posts
Now, I have no personal experience with any of those flash suppressors, but, knowing how a Flash Suppressor functions.
I'd say the VLTOR VC-1 would likely provide the best flash suppression of the three

Regardless of manufactures claims, none of those will provide any muzzle rise compensation.
Besides, lets be honest, our .223/5.56 ARs don't need and brakes/comps.
Recoil? What recoil? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
713 Posts
I've researched and reviewed a ton of comps/flash hiders. Just looking for something different on this build. My next build 18-20" SPR will have a "True" muzzle break. I used the Rainier XTC on my first build and love it but it's rather loud!
1.What do you run for ear pro? If you only run plugs, try running a set of inexpensive muffs over the plugs. If you're running some sort of muff/electronic muff alone, maybe they aren't fitting well.

2.Since the device is going to be pinned and welded to a 14.5" barrel, I'd recommend thinking beyond 'just looking for something different,' and considering instead how you would like the overall rifle to behave. Because permanent is permanent, I'd either find the means to get the end-all muzzle device I wanted, or I'd wait until I could afford to get teh muzzle device I wanted.

I was heavily considering a 14.5" mid-gas upper over last winter, but I couldn't bring myself to marry one muzzle device just to save 1.5"-2.0" on the overall length of a rifle.

For affordable flash hiders, you could also look at the Smith Vortex, the Bravo Company (BCM) A2X extended A2 flash suppressor, and the Wilson Combat Accu-Tac flash hider. I'm pretty sure all of those are under $50, and I think they'll all 1.5" in length or more, but don't quote me on that last point.

There are a bunch of comps/brakes out there, too, if you can tolerate something like that - remembering that it is going to be pinned and welded in place. I recently acquired a Nordic Components Tactical Comp for my current build project. Somebody somewhere said they were really happy with how it performed, so I figured I'd dump $35 on one and try it out. Their Tactical Comp may be too short for your application, but the slightly more expensive Shark Comp is basically the same comp design with a sort of added 'mouth' thingie on the business end for more length. there is a compensating version of the Smith Vortex out there, too, that may fall in your budget (I think it is marketed under the 'Good Iron' name now).

·
Premium Member
9,363 Posts
+1 for the battlecomp, I own 3 of them. No muzzle rise anymore, its silly. Blast and flash seem on part with the standard A2 hider.

·
Registered
829 Posts
+2 for the BattleComp I really enjoy mine.

·
Registered
780 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thank you all for your replies and input.
I decided to go with the Vltor VC-1 which only ended up costing me $50. That definately fits in my budget and allows me now look at more then just MagPul MOE stock for this build. I'm currently looking at the Wilson Combat (Rogers) Super-Stoc, Mako Group (FAB Defense) GLR16, and MagPul CTR. I haven't ruled out the MagPul MOE stock I have one on my current rifle and really like it. But part of this build is about trying new thing, testing and reviewing them. And as always having fun doing it... :cool:
Here is a Brownell video showing the Vltor VC-1 vs no device and an A2 birdcage in the dark testing single shot and burst characteristics.
YouTube - ‪Brownells - VLTOR AR-15/M16 Flash Suppressor/Compensator‬‏

1 - 16 of 16 Posts