Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought I would chime in with a quick report on DoubleTap Ammo....

I had originally found their website after doing heavy research on 10mm guns and associated balistics (we need a XD in 10mm :twisted: ). DT evolved out of customer demand for 10mm that was actually loaded to its potential instead of the sissy fbi load. Recently, they have also begun to offer .40cal (among others).

I had been looking for some stronger .40 ammo for trail/camping carry and the claimed balistics on DTs site was impressive- [email protected] in a 4" barrel! From what I have read, Doubletap uses a new age powder that is not commerically available as of yet. This provides a platform for a nice hi-power .40 round.

I ordered a couple boxes of the 165gr. FMJ match rounds as well as some 165gr. Gold Dots. I ordered on Monday, and it arrived on Wednesday! This was with the standard shipping option as well. Shipping was very reasonable. I think it was $8 for 5 boxes of 50. Not bad.

I had been planning to go shoot today anyhow and I was quite pleased when I found the new DT ammo delivered after I got home. My Tactical .40 and I headed for the woods..

I usually shoot WWB with some Remington mixed in. I would say the "snapiest" factory round I had shot out of my XD would be the 165gr. Speer branded Gold Dots. The Doubletap ammo was quite a bit more potent...

First shot of the 165gr Match left a grin on my face. A nice collection of sparks out the barell and a nice snap. Now mind you, I simply love the feel of the 5" .40 and dont find it to recoil much at all. Likewise, the DT felt great to me, but it was more pronounced than anything I had shot before. Also interesting was cartridge ejection. I had a towel setup that usually catches %75 of my brass. ALL the DT rounds flew far beyond where other rounds land. Another testament to its power.

I would say my XD is more accurate than I am, but I can say for sure that it DT ammo is more accurate than WWB. I was consistantly keeping smaller groups with the DT. For me, the key to being accurate is squuuueeeze the trigger. I know its cleche', but if I concentrate on this, the groups will follow. It also burned super clean...compared to anything else I have shot, the empty brass were practically spotless inside with no trace of residue. Maximum efficiency!

Doubletap ammo is ideal for backcountry carry where a higher power round will mean better penetration and ideally better expansion. Thats the main reason I bought it. (No lectures on pistols vs. griz bear please..I am not taking a long rifle when I backpack..its the XD for me...so I want to maximize what I got.)While I love the ammo, it is somewhat spendy, and I dont like the idea of shooting a hi-power round thru the gun all the time.

Anyhow- if you are looking for some great ammo above and beyond the regular store stuff, you should really check them out. I know they also load for the .357 sig and possibly the 9mm.

www.doubletapammo.com

·
Registered
214 Posts
went there for a look, no 9mm ammo available...closest was 9x25, aka 9x25 Dillon, which after a little research found to be a 10mm casing necked down to 9mm! now theres an interesting idea....the site that i looked at says Springfield Armory makes guns in the caliber....anyone ever shot one or interested in a handcannon round like that in the XD? :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
875 Posts
I bet that stuff would be a bitch to shoot in the SC. I have heard they have great ammo, but have never shot any of their stuff. I really wanted to by some of their .44 mag ammo but it is too long to fit in my Ruger 96/44.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Ya I got to shoot a 9x25 in a glock large frame a couple of months ago. Dude it was so cool, kick butt round. I was shooting at a self resetiing popper at fifty - sixty yards, my forty would ding it and move it about 1/4 of the way backwards. The 9x25 laid it out flat at the same range. Amazingly the gun had very little recoil and was quite shootable. Accuaracy was great out of the barsto barrel setup.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts