Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone shot the Double Tap 185 gr Noslers out of their XD-45? Specs on this round are really hot, was thinking about giving it a go. I don't post over here too much so my appologies if this topic has been done before.
thanks

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I don't own a .45 but I'll offer up my opinion based on the numerous threads on ammo choice.

With all the threads that have been started on ammo types. The conclusion by many including very experienced and knowledgeable members here on XD Talk. That in most cases a good quality standard loaded heavier modern JHP is more than sufficient and passes FBI protocols for penetration and expansion without the added muzzle flip and muzzle flash that comes with a +P load.

The heavier standard loaded .45 JHPs like Winchester Ranger or Gold Dots for example work just as well for penetration and expansion than a lighter +P load. Without the added recoil and muzzle flash. A lot of these rounds can be had for cheaper as well.

For example in 9mm, which is what I shoot. I go for 147 gr standard load over the 124 gr +P. I have more control during rapid fire and the 147 gr penetrates and expands just as well. I have less muzzle flip for faster follow up shots.

But in the end. It's what works well for you in your gun and is 100% reliable. If want to try it out. I say compare against a heavier standard load during rapid fire and see which one you shoot better with.

That's my 2 cents. Maybe we can get some more opinions from shooter that have shot both standard load and +P in .45

·
Registered
364 Posts
Has anyone shot the Double Tap 185 gr Noslers out of their XD-45? Specs on this round are really hot, was thinking about giving it a go. I don't post over here too much so my appologies if this topic has been done before.
thanks
I love the double tap ammo, shoot 230 grainers without a problem.
xdm .45. OF course you will have a little more flash and recoil but not bad.
good luck

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
Double tap posts number that are exagerated to boost sales they are usually a bit lower than what they post. Light and fast and foot pounds are not how you measure bullet performance. Select a bullet that will penetrate deep and expand, this will usually be a heaver slower bullet. Foot pounds and shock of impact do not do any significant wounding. Aslo the last thing you want in a self defense round is excessive muzzle blast and flash, it slows you follow up shots and since statics show that you will miss more than you will hit you need to be able to shoot accurately and fast multiple times.

·
Banned
110 Posts
Double tap posts number that are exagerated to boost sales they are usually a bit lower than what they post. Light and fast and foot pounds are not how you measure bullet performance. Select a bullet that will penetrate deep and expand, this will usually be a heaver slower bullet. Foot pounds and shock of impact do not do any significant wounding. Aslo the last thing you want in a self defense round is excessive muzzle blast and flash, it slows you follow up shots and since statics show that you will miss more than you will hit you need to be able to shoot accurately and fast multiple times.

I always look forward to your posts Bro, lol....

So what would you suggest for a good SD round? My brother, who is the technical adviser for swat in his Dept, likes the Golden Saber.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
In order of lightest to heavyest. I would go with the heavers ones.

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

·
Registered
6,108 Posts
I was hoping Agalindo would pop in.

Agalindo has done a tremendous amount of research on the subject.

·
Banned
110 Posts
In order of lightest to heavyest. I would go with the heavers ones.

.45 ACP:
Barnes XPB 160 & 185 gr JHP (copper bullet)
Federal HST 230 gr JHP (P45HST2)
Federal HST 230 gr +P JHP (P45HST1)
Federal Tactical 230 gr JHP (LE45T1)
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP
Speer Gold Dot 230 gr +P JHP
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr JHP (RA45T)
Winchester Ranger-T 230 gr +P JHP (RA45TP)

So going from lightest to heaviest, I guess the RA45TP would be your top choice from the list?

Thanks man!

·
Registered
8,351 Posts
While i agree with you i do like double tap 10mm 9mm and 45 rounds. although the 45 colt i tried were some serious power.

·
Premium Member
16,428 Posts
I would go with the RA45T, the P45HST2, or the Speer Gold Dot 230 gr JHP. Listed in no special order.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts