Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone tried the .40 200gr., Double Tap Ammo yet? From what I understand the round acts just like a 10mm. I believe from a Glock 23 .40 cal. the muzzle velocity is right around 1050 fps. @ 490 ft/lbs, that is with a 4" barrel. and @ 4.5" its around 1100 fps @ 538 ft/lbs. That is pretty freakin sweet. A 50rnd box of .40S&W 200gr. JHP Nosler is $39.95 I think this is well worth it for 50 rounds and being 200gr. Self Defense ammo. I was wanting to know if anyone had tried it or had any thoughts on it positive or negative... Either would help me decide. The little reviews I found were all positive. Sounds like some mean stuff! Anyone else on board?

for some reason the picture wouldnt post so heres a link:

DoubleTap Ammunition

·
Banned
263 Posts
Please keep us 40ers posted. Thank you. Haven't seen it anywhere yet...

·
Banned
263 Posts
Im still tryin federal135 jhp and Hornady tap 155 jhp. Like the control.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Okay, I guess I will go first. Im going to order some soon and check them out, I will let you know how it goes, unless someone beats me to it.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Speer has had a 200 grain gold dot load out for a minute now, but not that fast. I am not a fan of the 40 at all but that caliber with that weight will give it some serious hard cover penetration and still work on the target. I would rather carry that 200 grain 40 than a 125 357SIG load anyday.

I bet it gets some serious penetration for hunting aswell. It is good to see this caliber being brought up to date. Almost makes it a legit caliber..........

·
Registered
339 Posts
Speer has had a 200 grain gold dot load out for a minute now, but not that fast. I am not a fan of the 40 at all but that caliber with that weight will give it some serious hard cover penetration and still work on the target. I would rather carry that 200 grain 40 than a 125 357SIG load anyday.

I bet it gets some serious penetration for hunting aswell. It is good to see this caliber being brought up to date. Almost makes it a legit caliber..........
Got to love posts like this. He does not like this caliber for some unknown reason, so it must be a complete and total POS. Why does someone always start this nonsense?

·
Banned
263 Posts
Legit cal.? Any firearm is Legit... Which cal have u takin a round from?

HTC EVO FROM TAPATALK

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Got to love posts like this. He does not like this caliber for some unknown reason, so it must be a complete and total POS. Why does someone always start this nonsense?

Because I remember when the 40 came out. The FBI put out a set of specs for a 10mm load that would mimic the 9x19mms performance. S&W took that load and put it in a shorter case and then into a 9x19mm framed gun. So now you have a 10mm load that is designed to work like a 9mm in a 9mm sized gun. It made absolutely no sense at all to make a fatter less capacity load and gun combo when we already had the 9mm. 100% inane. two decades later the caliber is getting to be what it should have been all along. Not just a fatter 9x19mm with no performance gains.

Not nonsense at all, just logic. Now someone has finally taken advange of the heavier projectiles in that caliber in that cartridge. Thats good for the cartridge. Now thats sense, not nonesense my man.......

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've never seen 200g 40 ammo. Ill stick my 180pdx1.
I'm in this boat as I've been really pleased with the PDX1, however, I'm kinda interested in how this plays out for you with the Doubletap.

Please keep us informed!

·
Registered
339 Posts
Because I remember when the 40 came out. The FBI put out a set of specs for a 10mm load that would mimic the 9x19mms performance. S&W took that load and put it in a shorter case and then into a 9x19mm framed gun. So now you have a 10mm load that is designed to work like a 9mm in a 9mm sized gun. It made absolutely no sense at all to make a fatter less capacity load and gun combo when we already had the 9mm. 100% inane. two decades later the caliber is getting to be what it should have been all along. Not just a fatter 9x19mm with no performance gains.

Not nonsense at all, just logic. Now someone has finally taken advange of the heavier projectiles in that caliber in that cartridge. Thats good for the cartridge. Now thats sense, not nonesense my man.......
When explained that's a fine opinion. I may not agree, but you have reasons to support your opinion. I was afraid this was another one of those posts declaring that this ( insert 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45, etc) caliber is a piece of crap and has no reason for existing. All of the calibers I listed are good performers and its just up to what the shooter wants. They all work.

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
When explained that's a fine opinion. I may not agree, but you have reasons to support your opinion. I was afraid this was another one of those posts declaring that this ( insert 9mm, .40, .357 Sig, .45, etc) caliber is a piece of crap and has no reason for existing. All of the calibers I listed are good performers and its just up to what the shooter wants. They all work.

Yes they do, and by 45 I hope you meant 45GAP lol. It is what you could call real 45 power in a 9mm framed gun. These new breeds of 200 grain 40s make me even think about getting a G22 or G24. Performance the cartridge should have always had and I bet in the real world them 200 grain 40s will penetrate better than any 357SIG load. Thats the reason these new loads make the 40 cal guns look good to me. One gun and I could shoot 9mm, 40, and 357, not a bad deal at all. Them loads best my GAP loads by 100fps in the same weight. I am always open to new stuff, as long as it gives me a reason to have it. Them 200s in 40 caliber is a real good reason if one were to ask me about the caliber now. 20 years ago it was pointless, not so much now.......

·
Registered
339 Posts
I'm very excited to get my hands on some. I ordered a box a couple of nights ago as well, been eying them for a while. I would be curious to see their performance in balistic gelatin. I know that it is not the best simulation of real world use, but it seems to be how people compare penetration of various rounds. A 200 gr .40 has a sectional density of .179, where 180 gr .40s, 230 gr .45s, and 147 gr 9s have SDs between .161 and .167. Strictly by the numbers this load shoot be a good penetrator.

I will let everyone know what I think in addition to the OP.

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I love the .40 it is a beast, a hotrod. Now that there is a 200gr. Nosler Double Tap, I am even happier. I wonder why they said they were the only ones producing it if Boris says there has been one out, I will have to do some research, I thought they were the first. I could be wrong. Regardless I am excited! I will be getting some soon. Goodbye watermelon

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Yes they do, and by 45 I hope you meant 45GAP lol. It is what you could call real 45 power in a 9mm framed gun. These new breeds of 200 grain 40s make me even think about getting a G22 or G24. Performance the cartridge should have always had and I bet in the real world them 200 grain 40s will penetrate better than any 357SIG load. Thats the reason these new loads make the 40 cal guns look good to me. One gun and I could shoot 9mm, 40, and 357, not a bad deal at all. Them loads best my GAP loads by 100fps in the same weight. I am always open to new stuff, as long as it gives me a reason to have it. Them 200s in 40 caliber is a real good reason if one were to ask me about the caliber now. 20 years ago it was pointless, not so much now.......

Yes, it's amazing what improvements have come along in the past 20 years! Then again, I still recall the boys in blue all holstering .38spl with semi-wadcutters...:shock:

·
Banned
1,790 Posts
Yes, it's amazing what improvements have come along in the past 20 years! Then again, I still recall the boys in blue all holstering .38spl with semi-wadcutters...:shock:

Yep, but in 1990 they touted it as the end all of calibers. Ammo back then blew. Was no better than a 9mm at its best and was nowhere near being the 45 it was claimed to be from a 9mm sized pistol. These new 200s better the best 45 loads and no 9mm could even come close unless someone perfects a 158 9mm.

Gold dots have been out for some time in 200s for the 40 as factory ammo but reports from guys i know that have used it are not impressed with the 200 gold dot 40 loads. This DT load is where its at for the 40 IMO.

·
Registered
20 Posts

The 40 S&W has been a legit caliber for several years. With a 180 gr bullet it is a great cartridge. This 200 gr should prove to be even better if the advertised speed matches reality.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts