Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My first and probably only AR. Don't want to build. Occaisional target and SHTF insurance for my son or grandson down the road after these are banned. I've spent the past month here and other sites lerking and learning

I want a mid length, but they are tough to find off the shelf. I have a DS Arms ZM-4 mid-lenth on order, but not sure if/when I'll see it. The DSA carbine I saw seemed well made with had beautifully polished feed ramps, the hand guard had some play.

I saw a DS Star-15 patrol carbine with a light-weight chromed barrel and bore, solid quad rail, no play between the upper and lower. Almost got it.

The Bushmaster M4 just felt very heavy to me and the quality has not impressed me the way the smaller companies have.

I could order the JWISE recommended CMMG mid-length, but I'm concerned about delay and would prefer to buy something I've held in my hands.

What's the group's opinions on STAR-15 and DM-4 rifles? Does anyone know if the CMMG upper color matches the DSA or Doublestar lowers? Should I just just get the Bushie and forget about it?

·
Banned
6,667 Posts
In the end it is up to you, but color match should be the least concern.
Colors can vary within the same "brand" of upper and lower. Unless they were "matched" and anodized together, the anodizing batch could vary.

Going with a "mid-length" for the softer recoil, and less wear/tear on parts can be over come on the carbine system by using the M16 bolt carrier, heavier buffer, and stiffer recoil spring. So don't let that limit your choice if you are wanting to buy complete.

If you were happy with the DoubleStar DS-15, snatch it up.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I love my Double star. Very accurate, had no problems whatsoever.

·
Banned
8,565 Posts
to second what mvcain said, as long as its black and its well done quality finish it wouldnt bother me.

the only thing i dont like is when companies do greens and browns and the grip rubber is funky poo color, like the sig p220.

if your upper and lower and mags dont match no biggie. As long as the finish is nice and holds up, i wouldnt worry one bit about the tones, the variances in how thick it appears, the grainyness, how it reflects like etc.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts