Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello evereyone. I have had my 9mmXD for a little over two years and I love it. I have noticed an occasional problem for the gun to double feed when it has a high round count thru it, 250+ rnds. I was at a class a short time ago and predicted to the instructor that it would double feed around 2-300 rnds and becasue of the gun doing this occasionally I could clear it in a few seconds. Not sure if he believed me but I did clear it in a couple seconds.

Anyhow, is a double feed a common problem for XD's? What causes it and how can it be fixed?

Background info: 4" XD 9mm, maybe 10,000ish rnds total thru gun, I clean it with Hoppes#9, oil with Breakfree CLP, serial #95??, its an early one that has Croatia stamped on the slide.

Any info/help is appreciated...

·
Registered
9,948 Posts
When you say double feed.... the round fires and the case is stuck in the chamber some what or is still in the slide, and the slide moves another round into the old round? If thats it then maybe a new extractor as soon as 200-300 rounds the carbon bulds up enough that the extractor fails.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
As many times as this has happened to me I can't say wether or not it is a spent round or a new round in the chamber. BUT, i think its a fresh round in the chamber and one pressing into the rear of it.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I'm no expert, but I don't see how double feeding two live rounds is possible. I would guess you are seeing a FTE, i.e. a failure-to-extract a spent casing. If so, ajames comment about the extractor is germane -- the extractor is not catching the lip of the casing. If the extractor is not damaged, then I would pay particular attention to cleaning the extractor claw where crud can accumulate.

·
Registered
725 Posts
my opinion is this..

most likely the shell in the chamber is dead and you had a FTE.
i would say after 10k rounds ur ejector is worn.
the ejector is slightly worn that after 200-300 rounds it gets enough gunk on it to make it FTE.

u need to give us more info
like the casing in the chamber is spent right?
does it consistly happen after the first one?
is the ejector dirty after u have this issue

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Double feed is a type III malfunction. Empty case not extracted in the chamber and one triying to feed from the mag.

To clear you must:

1. Lock the slide back (slide lock)
2. drop the mag.
3. Rack you slide to eject the empty case.

They are generally caused by bad extractors or ejectors. I'd first check the extractor as this is the major pitfall with the XD.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok, so if it is the extractor can I repair it myself? Or do I send it to SA?

This problem happens often once the gun has more than 200 or so rounds in a day. It does not happen round after round maybe once in a 300 round day.

I'm no expert, but I don't see how double feeding two live rounds is possible. I would guess you are seeing a FTE, i.e. a failure-to-extract a spent casing. If so, ajames comment about the extractor is germane -- the extractor is not catching the lip of the casing. If the extractor is not damaged, then I would pay particular attention to cleaning the extractor claw where crud can accumulate.
/
I have to agree. I dont see how it could be a live round either. On the other hand, I have never seen much gunk/crud under the extractor. Could it be the metal has lost some of its tension? Or the edge getting rounded and not catching the casing?

I would like to add that it is always with winchester white box 100rnd.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I have heard of getting the extractor "re-tensioned". A local gunsmith should be able to do it if you don't want to send it in to SA.

If it starts happening after ~200 rounds, maybe the heating up of the internal parts could cause the extractor claw to miss the cartridge rim -- in which case re-tensioning may solve the problem. Also, switch from WWB to CCI Blazer and see if that makes a difference.

Actually, there was a change in the extractor design some time back (I don't know how long ago the change was made). Somebody once posted a picture showing the difference, but I can't find it. I doubt if you have one of the old design, but I thought I would mention it anyway.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Shooting times autoloaders buyers guide 2004 did a 5000 round test with the XD. The tip of their extractor broke off. The XD kept firing fine and the author did not notice. In your case, it may be worn enough to be out of Spec or broke off enough to not feed.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts