Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys, I just bought my 4" service XD .45. I was reading through the thread and reading about double charge. what is double charge? But anyways I love my gun I just shot 150 rounds through. My next one will be the .40 XD(m). But ya let me know. thanks guys

·
Banned
5,690 Posts
Yep. I've had exactly one double-charge in 35 years of reloading. Fortunately it was a low power target load for my .45 Gold Cup so all it did was slam the slide hard against the stop and make everyone laugh at me. I pulled the bullet from every remaining round and weighed the powder, it was this ONE load only.

Don't join the club!

·
Registered
192 Posts
One good thing about the .45ACP case is that it is so short that it's very obvious if you double charge one as it nearly fills the case up. You hear about this hapening often with the .38 special as it was designed for black powder that is much more bulky. LOOK at every case before you seat the bullet.

·
Registered
6,679 Posts
One good thing about the .45ACP case is that it is so short that it's very obvious if you double charge one as it nearly fills the case up. You hear about this hapening often with the .38 special as it was designed for black powder that is much more bulky. LOOK at every case before you seat the bullet.
Pretty easy to let a double-charge of a fast powder, like AA#2, get by you, in .45ACP. I use the RCBS Lockout Die. That takes care of light or heavy charges.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Double charges are the only reason I almost went with the Dillon 650 instead of the 550 so I would have the extra station to put a check die in. Went ahead with the 550 and I literally load with my eyes focused on station two each progression and never stop until the shell plate is empty. Not full proof I know, but so far has served me well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts