Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what do you do?

I have thought about this numerous times. It's a tricky situation - my door doesn't have a peephole (will change soon), just a 'peep window' right beside the door. Problem is:

1) gun is behind my back. if it's a LEO, the door is probably going to be broken down, or at very least when I open the door there will be a scene. (I have done nothing wrong to expect a cop, but who knows? suspicious call or I dunno)

2) gun is in my.. pocket? I don't have a IWB or OWB holster yet.. not until my CCW arrives. This is not very accesible if it is a BG.

3) gun is.. on the counter behind the door? see #2.

4) left hand opens door, right hand is behind door out of sight holding gun. This has the same issue as #1 w/ the possibility of LEO being the one doing the ringing.

·
Banned
5,098 Posts
armatron said:
what do you do?
Spend the $5 and 15 minutes, and install a peep hole & be done with it.

Regardless, I don't open the door to anyone I don't know at 11:30pm. And further, gun is in my hand. They can talk through the door. Too many home invasions these days.

·
Registered
238 Posts
11:30? The gun is in my hand, when I answer the door, holster or not. My house..... WHAT do you want? If it's LEO and I have nothing to hide, that will get straight. If it's a BG, I'm ready.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
You are in your house, right? You have a legally purchased firearm, right?

Answer the door with the gun in your hand and out of sight. If it is a LEO no problem. Tell the officer to wait while you disarm. Do it in plain sight and let them in. If they ask why you're armed, tell them you were just being careful and didn't mean to make them nervous.

If its a BG you are armed and you can defend yourself. If you have to hold your gun in your left hand to open the door, I suggest you practice doing some shooting left handed.

A peephole is a good idea though. Or a remote camera you can use through your TV.

Just my opinion.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There's no peephole because right now I'm in an apt (townhouse actually..) but I'm renting. I can't really just install a peephole. In my house, yes, there will be a peephole.

As far as a cop understanding.. I dunno. My experiance (granted I'm young or whatever) says otherwise.

P

·
0 Posts
Why the worry about a policeman busting down your door?

They're just regular people like us -- no x-ray vision.

Nothing to worry about. Just ask them if you can put a peephole in, and if they say no -- SHOOT THEM and do it anyway. You;ve got to protect yourself from the Apartment ladies, too.

I'm just kidding.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
gsh341 said:
Tell the officer to wait while you disarm. Do it in plain sight and let them in.

Take care with this approach. There's been more than one case of people becoming victims at the hands of LEO impersonators. If it's the cops, and they're bothering me at 11:30pm, they can wait a few more seconds while I call the police/sheriff's office and verify that they sent out a LEO. Of course, I'd tell this person that I was doing so -- if they're a LEO, they have nothing to fear; if they're a BG, they'll probably haul ass.

That's just paraniod mr0w1 talking though. I'm absolutely paranoid about home invasions.

·
Registered
11,054 Posts
mr0w1 said:
gsh341 said:
Tell the officer to wait while you disarm. Do it in plain sight and let them in.

Take care with this approach. There's been more than one case of people becoming victims at the hands of LEO impersonators. If it's the cops, and they're bothering me at 11:30pm, they can wait a few more seconds while I call the police/sheriff's office and verify that they sent out a LEO. Of course, I'd tell this person that I was doing so -- if they're a LEO, they have nothing to fear; if they're a BG, they'll probably haul ass.

That's just paraniod mr0w1 talking though. I'm absolutely paranoid about home invasions.
Good point about imposters. I should have thought of that.

My wife as actually stopped by a bogus State Trooper and was told she could avoid a ticket by giving sexual favors. She said she'd take the ticket and the "Trooper" let her off with a verbal warning. She told me about it and I called it in to the local police. After a breif check by the State Troopers we found out there were no troopers assigned to that area that day and none matched the description. A suspect was later taken into custody when they found a Crown Vic outfitted with all the markings and a light bar in his barn.

Apparently he had worked this scam on several women. He's now doing time.

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
5. Empty a magazine through the door. Who the F#%k is knocking on your door @ 11:30??? Just Kidding!!!

Seriously. I have HAD police knock on my door at about 4:30 AM. I should say NEARLY break my door down! There was 1 man and one woman.They beat it so hard I had to repair one of the glass panes that went loose. My whole front door is basically 10"X10" pieces of glass in woodwork. I opened the door and they said "is such and such in your house"? and I said WHO??? having never heard of the person in my life. He asked again and I said "No...I don't know anyone by that name at all." He said that I was the last person this mystery man called while on the run from the police. I checked my phone and sure enough I had a call from a number I had never seen. They asked if they could come in and I said no. I said it was obvioulsy a misdial from this person and I don't know whoever it was that called me.....they were doing the whole skeptical cop thing and I just basically asked if they were done. I made some comment about needing to ease up on the door because I thought someone was trying to beat it in, to rob the house or whatever. He laughed and said "they teach us that at cop school"...I wonder how hard he would be laughing if he realized I had a gun in my right hand the whole time while talking to them. I then told them..,"I'm going back to bed, don't ever beat on my door like that again unless you are going to arrest me"....the male cop laughed again. No offense but I just plain don't trust anyone I don't know....LEO or not...I don't trust them.

This'll probably get someone's panties in a bunch but someone asked for our opinions so here mine is....within a story. I will remain armed while whoever is doing crazy stuff at crazy hours on my property.

That's my .02

·
Registered
6,314 Posts
A visitor at 11:30 is nothing out of the ordinary for me living in a college town. However, if someone comes over and I don't know who it is, they usually are just confused and I set them on their way. I've never had any violent confrontations with anyone who tried coming in. I currently live on the top floor of a 100 year old house so it's pretty obvious if someone is coming up the creaky front steps to the "upstairs" door which remains locked. It's pretty much impossible to get into my house without alarming the occupants. Unless you're a ninja. To get back onto topic, the most recent time I had people pounding on my door it was two young women looking for someone that lived downstairs at 3am on a saturday night. I could tell they were females from the voices prior to me going downstairs. I didn't even think to grab a firearm at the time but I did snag a large knife on my out of my bedroom. I know, I know, "dont bring a knife to a gun fight".

·
Registered
209 Posts
At 1130 they should be bringing me lunch. Or did you mean 1130pm? I think my first response would be asking who was there. If its the cops you should be able to see a car outside or ask them to step to a window. Some officers may balk at this, thinking that you may shoot them through a window. Some officers need to just grow a pair. If they are cops, put down the gun and let them in. If they aren't the cops, they won't show themselves. Calling the department isn't out of the question either. I've had people do this, and I don't hold it against them at all. 1130? Hell I've knocked on people's doors at 0345 before. If they weren't armed I generally chastise them!

Just my .02

MC

·
Registered
449 Posts
Oddly enough, this very thing happened to me just a few days ago. Like a dumba$$, I opened the door without first peeking out the window. I did have a barking German Shepherd by the collar who was trying to get out and get whoever it was when I opened it. It actually was LEO. One of my neighbors called because it was 11:30 pm and my garage door was open. Evidently there had been a bunch of car break ins a few days prior, and the neighbor was concerned my garage had been broken into. It hadn't been, I usually am still up at that hour, and don't close the door until I take the dog out for his last chance to pee before bed.

I'm getting one of those video monitors for the front door, so I can see / talk to whoever is there without opening it.

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
If they ask why you're armed
Its not a single damn bit of their business why you are armed in your own home. Its the SAME principal of being stopped on the side of the road and them giving you the third degree of why you carry when the police is there to "protect you".

If its 11:30 and someone knocks on my door, I'm going to be looking out the windows for vehicles and such before I even go near the door. A badge and uniform is fairly easy to fake, usually a car is only with the more expensive cons.

Peephole is a good idea if your door doesn't have windows.

If they're going to bust down your door, they wouldn't have knocked in the first place.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
mr0w1 said:
gsh341 said:

You pegged it, we had some folks pretending to be cops in my city and doing home invasions. I told my kids that when they are home alone, they are not to answer the door for ANYONE. If someone needs in my house then they should have a key. If its the cops, call 911 and verify that it IS a cop and then call mom and dad.

At 11:30 or 12:00 noon, if I dont know who the person is knocking at my door, I have a gun in my hand or on my hip at the very least. You will not get in trouble for answering a door with a gun in your hand as long as its out of sight. DO NOT invite an LEO into your home, nothing good can come of this. I have had vehicles broken into and the like and when they come, I step outside onto my porch to talk with them. No, I am not hiding anything in my home but a mans home is his castle.

·
Registered
1,454 Posts
I agree with everyone that says answer armed... though personally, I wouldn't answer it. My friends/family would call if they were in the neighborhood so if they don't call to let me know, I don't even get off the couch. My "purse" (as my gf likes to call it) is always with me - bathroom, couch, bed, etc. - so no need to even get up for it. Might sound crazy but we just had a serial rapist around the Seattle Metro area who was bold enough to knock on doors. Though caught, we lack a peephole in our apartments also. Though the condo I'm moving to at the end of this month has a peephole. I guess that guy lived down the street from where I live now with my gf. No peephole + no phone call = no answer from me. And if/when I do answer, left hand on door right hand holding. Most people don't even notice it's drawn.

·
Registered
278 Posts
I've had this exact situation happen...what did I do? The same thing as DJDan. Someone's banging on my door at 2:30AM. I look through the peephole, and see two Sheriffs. So I open the door with my left, while keeping my gun in my right, out of sight. The Sheriffs were complete assholes, and they were looking for a guy that lived in my house TWO OWNERS prior. They treated me like I was a liar, and not once apologized after I set them straight. After some nasty words to them, they left, never knowing I was armed.

The funniest part of the story...at the time my only gun was my Mossy shotgun. Not too easy to hide. :lol:

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Ill be at the door with one of my guns, my roomate will be behind me with a gun. If there is a problem and I cant take care of it I drop to the ground or step into another room, my roomate is behind me to pop him one when I get out of the way.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts