Springfield XD Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the chamber is cut correctly, the extractor does not have anything to do with headspace. If the chamber is too deep then sometimes the extractor can act to hold the case against the breechface when the firing pin hits it.

I don't know that I would trust a 9mm barrel in a .40/.354 slide to be reliable, since the breechface, extractor and ejector should be different, but that is just me. I haven't looked closely at mine to see how critical the fit is.

Some gun shops will do anything to make an extra buck. For example I always check to see how many magazines are supposed to come with a gun before I go shopping.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can understand why SA has problems with it. If you consider that the .40 has a rim diameter of 0.424, and the 9mm has a rim diameter of 0.394,a difference of 0.030 on diameter, then the extractor and ejector are in the wrong locations by 0.015 radial. Maybe it will work, the extractor design is pretty flexible, the hook may still engage the rim, the ejector may still catch the edge of the smaller case. But if it does, it is more luck than I care to count on.

Let's put ourselves in SAs shoes for a minute. I produce a carefully engineered, manufactured and inspected lifesaving device, and warrant it to the buyer; who replaces a critical component with a part made by somebody else, for the purpose of making a major change in my product, and I am supposed to say "Hey man, like do what you feel, it's like no biggie to me, I know that you are cool and won't sue me when my product fails to protect your family in a critical situation and your kid is dead and 50 liability lawyers are beating your door down offering to make me pay millions for the shoddy piece of junk I sold you."

1 - 3 of 3 Posts