Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is what the so called expert at the local gunshop told me. Something to do with extractor and head space? He said it is ok to switch 40 to 357 as case heads are identical and vis versa. Told him I know of many people that have conversion 9mm barrels in their 40's and have had no trouble. His reply "you are just asking for trouble by doing this". Then why in hell do they sell conversion barrels in the first place. Idiot! Just thought I would share my latest experience as I am getting closer to my new purchase. Either another service 40 or the sub 40. Also this same gunshop is charging more for the package with the SC, meaning the one that comes with holster and high cap mag. I thought this was free just as with the free rounds with the 45 GAP when you buy the XD 45GAP. Figured that I would just buy one and mail SA to get the extra's.

·
Registered
179 Posts
If the chamber is cut correctly, the extractor does not have anything to do with headspace. If the chamber is too deep then sometimes the extractor can act to hold the case against the breechface when the firing pin hits it.

I don't know that I would trust a 9mm barrel in a .40/.354 slide to be reliable, since the breechface, extractor and ejector should be different, but that is just me. I haven't looked closely at mine to see how critical the fit is.

Some gun shops will do anything to make an extra buck. For example I always check to see how many magazines are supposed to come with a gun before I go shopping.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Well, see, we've been had....

This forum is actually run by Barsto and EFK Firedragon. Everyone on it, except for you, is a computer program. We're just here to make the touting of our conversion barrels seem more honest.

Welcome to reality, Mr. Anderson.

·
Registered
813 Posts
Yep, you have run into another gunshop employee that doesn't know ****. The XD SC kits are freebies just like the others too.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
HAHAHAHAHA

[TASF said:
Overkill]Well, see, we've been had....

This forum is actually run by Barsto and EFK Firedragon. Everyone on it, except for you, is a computer program. We're just here to make the touting of our conversion barrels seem more honest.

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
[TASF said:

Thank you sir...may I have another....

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
what is with all of the green binary code on this forum now???

·
Banned
11,479 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
HAHAHAHAHA

[TASF said:

HAHAHAHAHA
HAHAHAHAHA does not compute. You must be destroyed. Bots ready. Engage. If you feel you have reached this forum in error please hang up.

·
Registered
32 Posts
BigBob68 said:
Then why in hell do they sell conversion barrels in the first place. Idiot! Just thought I would share my latest experience as I am getting closer to m.
Springfield agrees with him! They won't back any conversion barrel. Not saying it won't work and work well, just saying he is correctly relaying springfield.

Now look at EFK and Barsto. Barsto is very reputable. I have significant difficulty believing they would release faulty product. I also have difficulty believing they would not have seen trouble by now.

I don't know what springfield's issues are, but they don't like a 9mm barrel in a .40.

Oh Well.

·
Premium Member
24,885 Posts
It's a politically correct liability thing. Bottom feeding barrister's love to dine on things like this.
Ask Springfield's top competition shooter what he thinks of Barsto!

·
Banned
1,546 Posts
Frenchy said:
It's a politically correct liability thing. Bottom feeding barrister's love to dine on things like this.
Ask Springfield's top competition shooter what he thinks of Barsto!
yeah, they do put in barsto barrels through the custom shop, and they seem to think they are more accurate

I really think if it was a problem, we would have heard of a problem by now....

·
Registered
179 Posts
I can understand why SA has problems with it. If you consider that the .40 has a rim diameter of 0.424, and the 9mm has a rim diameter of 0.394,a difference of 0.030 on diameter, then the extractor and ejector are in the wrong locations by 0.015 radial. Maybe it will work, the extractor design is pretty flexible, the hook may still engage the rim, the ejector may still catch the edge of the smaller case. But if it does, it is more luck than I care to count on.

Let's put ourselves in SAs shoes for a minute. I produce a carefully engineered, manufactured and inspected lifesaving device, and warrant it to the buyer; who replaces a critical component with a part made by somebody else, for the purpose of making a major change in my product, and I am supposed to say "Hey man, like do what you feel, it's like no biggie to me, I know that you are cool and won't sue me when my product fails to protect your family in a critical situation and your kid is dead and 50 liability lawyers are beating your door down offering to make me pay millions for the shoddy piece of junk I sold you."

·
Premium Member
336 Posts
I believe SA's reasons are simple. If you buy a .40 gun and it can also be used as a 9mm then why would you purchase a second gun from them? They are in the business to sell guns….they want you to buy more guns….not parts.

·
Registered
60 Posts
The .40 to 9mm conversion barrels are designed to shoot 9mm ammunition relatively safely, but there is the potential for reliablility problems. The reason is that the diameter of the heads of the 9mm and .40 are different, and the conversion barrel can't compensate for that.

The differences are small enough that most conversion barrels work fairly well, but there is more of a potential for failure. That is why most manufactures and sellers of converstion barrels say they are for training and taget purposes only, not for carry of self defense, where 100% relaibility can mean life vs death.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi all, I was probably one of the first people to convert my XD 40 Tact with a Barsto 9mm barrel. (E. Stone told me I was one of the first buyer for the 5" barrel) The main problem I had at first was wild case ejections, usually right back at me. For some reason, the problem diminished quite a bit after a few hundred rounds. There were a few FTE at first as well but seems to have gone away. Overall, the barrel conversion satified my need to be able to shoot cheaper ammo (lots of it) and not buy another gun. However, if you need almost 100% reliability then don't mess with barrel conversion.

·
Registered
25 Posts
would you guys consider a conversion barrel from XD40 to XD9 for IDPA. Looking to convert so will be cheaper to shoot for training in IDPA. Your thoughts.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think the decision boils down to this:

cost of a barsto= $200
cost of 2 new 9mm mag- $50
cost of a XD 9 Tactical= $450

You will save about $200. Of course you can save more by buying a cheaper barrel and modifying your .40 mags. Reliability will be slightly less. If you can spare the $200, I would buy another gun.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts