Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just a heads up. i have been talking to meprolights about their night sights. i have an xdm 40 bi tone and they said not to buy the sights made for the xd models for my xdm. they said this. "The XD and the XDm sights are quite different. The XDm sights are different heights and also the rear is a longer low profile sight." these new sights are coming out at the end of august, thats what they told me. i know i wont buy a sight unless its specifially for an xdm now that i know there is a difference. just figured id share this info with you and hopefully save you from the mistake i almost made.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Thanks for the info. I am thinking of getting some night sights, so I will wait until August.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
Your contact Meprolight is wrong about the sight height.

The XD and XDm sights are the same height if yours are marked by the same letter. The XDm sight is stamped on the underside of the sight 99.9% of all XD and XDm pistols use a "G" height sight. The "G" stamped sight is the same as a Sig Sauer #8 front and #8 rear.

XD-HS2000.com - Stock Sights XD

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why would they be making sights seperate for the xdm then? meprolight said there new sights for the xdm that are different from the xd sights will come out at the end of august. dont make since to me if there not different

·
Premium Member
1,626 Posts
The height is the same, but the stock XD and XDm rear sight profiles are different. The XDm sight moves the sighting notch to the rear of the slide while the XD profile has the notch directly over the mounting groove. This provides a longer sight radius for slide length ratio for the XDm.
Perhaps the new mepro sights will use the longer profile design.

edit: go with ajamesp51, not my guess.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I knew there would be doubt so while I ate dinner I took some pictures. Meprolight is making an XDm version to more or less fine tune how you use the pistol. The stock sights are supposed to be used with a 6`o'clock hold while most of the aftermarket one will move the impact compared the the Aiming point. But the Meprolights out there now more or less change the impact to a combat hold, basically the impact is were the dot is. So the ones will work with the XDm, whats up in there air where the new ones will aim/impact. But to say the current ones wont work at all is wrong.

The underside of the XDm rear (left) and the XD both "G" marked.

The face of both of the sights with a level on the top. The top of the sights are even and so are the dots plus or minus a thousands or two. the valley of the sights are different heights though but you line up the dots or tip of the sights not the valley

I put a red rectangle around the dots to show the same height

·
Registered
755 Posts

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
i have truglo tfo's on my xdm and they were made for xd's. these sights have a much different poa. there are a couple threads out there about this...

Crazy Project with my TruGlo Sights...
Please don`t use that post, that person was not lining up the dots. If you look at his picture when he lined up all three dots he was shooting correctly. The housing around the dots of the stock sight and tfo is different. With the TFO you are supposed to pay attention to the dots and line them up not the housing. Why would they put bright green fiber dots on the sights if your just going to ignore them like that OP did. Please take a look at his picture were he explains how he is aiming and lining up the dots vs the housing.

·
Registered
755 Posts
. If you look at his picture when he lined up all three dots he was shooting correctly. The housing around the dots of the stock sight and tfo is different.

On an XD you have sight picture one... On an XDm you have sight picture 3. This is the point i was making to the OP: Some other sights have done weird things between XD's and XDm's. I do thank you for the pics to illustrate my point better. I simply added the link to let the OP read and see what he thinks.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
On an XD you have sight picture one... On an XDm you have sight picture 3. This is the point i was making to the OP: Some other sights have done weird things between XD's and XDm's. I do thank you for the pics to illustrate my point better. I simply added the link to let the OP read and see what he thinks.
No thats from the other thread you posted, not my picture, the out come to that thread you posted was he did not want to line up the dots. He sent me his XDm he installed the TFO`s on and I put Trijicons on it. He liked them better. If you lined up the dots on the XDm they shot correctly according to his picture illustration. And on a classic XD you still have to use sight picture 3, not sight picture one. The housing on the TFO is different from what other pistol he first was using (sight picture 1). The TFO you will always have to line up the dots no matter what XD you put them on.

With the Meprolights you will still have to line up the dots.

·
Registered
755 Posts
my statement came from experience. maybe i had a bad day or whatever but i shot them side by side(tfo on xd/xdm) and had different point of impact holding top of posts lined up. as for meprolights i dont know. at any rate i will be sending my next sights to you because of all the good things i have heard. and next time it wont be tfo's. i pick them up better with my eye but is weird to fight post/dot.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
I just noticed you were in KY, I was up your way all last week for the race. I will am uploading some pictures now. Nice State, but the traffic wow what an embarrassment.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just got my XD-40 and the first thing I was going to do was change the sights.
Thanks for all this information.

WJCII

·
Registered
40 Posts
I just noticed you were in KY, I was up your way all last week for the race. I will am uploading some pictures now. Nice State, but the traffic wow what an embarrassment.
yeah that was some boondoggle. It also didn't help that they were only filling up one parking section at a time before moving on to the others.

regardless... i had a blast.

on topic... what is a fair price for a set of tfo's and the install (don't want to get ripped off)

·
Registered
49 Posts
ajamesp51,

Thanks for the EXCELLENT graphics to describe the differences: front post height, sight picture, etc.

I am planning on putting TFO's with the green front and yellow rear dots on my XDm compact 40SW.

---------------

ThumperIII,

Thanks for your description of the rear sight, slot placement between the XD and the XDM.

·
Registered
9,957 Posts
on topic... what is a fair price for a set of tfo's and the install (don't want to get ripped off)
Well I am running a special for 79.99 including the installation right now, 7.00 for return shipping. All of the TFO`s I have were made within the last 3 months.

·
Registered
113 Posts
yeah that was some boondoggle. It also didn't help that they were only filling up one parking section at a time before moving on to the others.

regardless... i had a blast.

Between their parking system and everyone using I-71 it was a nightmare. Most I know used US42, IN56 or KY16. Better to be moving on a skinny road than sit on a wide one.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts