Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey i'm still real new to all of this neat stuff, but what exactly does one of them don's guide rod/spring combo do?
is it just a reliable replacement part, or does it make the action tighter?
Also, what spring weight is best.....and what's the difference lol
i know i know im a newbie...sowwy
ive got an xd-40 4"
thanks

·
Registered
8,970 Posts
Matt,

By going with Don's Rod, you have the option of changing spring weights. As an example, your stock assembly is around 18 pounds. My experience has shown, validated by many others, that be going with a heavier spring, you lessen felt recoil and muzzle flip. The 22# spring is a good all-around weight, however guys are having great results with the 24# too.

I have Don's setup in all of my XDs.

Old School

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
yeah, i would get the Don's. In fact, I am new to the gun thing, got the Don's and its great. My next gun (ain't comin soon enough) will be an XD and will also have teh Don's (there is one for Subs right?)

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
boooooooooooooooooooo I have gotten to the point of not trusting the stock recoil spring assembly after my mishap.

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
This unfortunate insident: It left me at the range with a hot weapon that couldn't be decocked and unchambered. I had to fire the round out of it after this happened.

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
right on...that's what I was thinking it was for
I wasn't sure
Sometimes places sell just replacement parts for when somethin fails.....same as stock just new
now all i gotta do is figure out where i can find a flame thrower attachment! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
John, did you contact SA about that? What did they have to say? I think that qualifies as "catastrophic failure" and should get their attention.

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
so this shelled out spring/rod assy, was it destroyed when you had to fire the gun or did it shell out and then lock the gun down forcing you to fire it? also, do you know why this happened. has it happened to anyone else?

not trying to sound like a n00b, but i do like to know why/how stuff like this happens...

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
Well, a little more explination on my gernaded recoil spring assembly. It happened at approx. round 886 through the gun. I was firing through a mag and about round 6 in the mag, I felt a wierd recoil. I thought I had limp wristed it, recomposed myself, and sighted again. Thats when my buddy from the sherriff's dept started hollering for me to stop. Tells me to look at the gun. Sure enough, the skinny part of the assembly was hanging out the front. So I dropped teh magazine and inspect what I have in my hands. The skinny part of the guide rod assemble pretty much came out freely, but the gun was locked in battery with a hot one in the chamber. ajamesp51 was nice enough to call me and talk me through extracting the broken pieces through the front of the gun. Then he met me outside of birmingham to sell me a don's and a spring. Springfield handled the situation very nicely, sending out a replacement part as soon as their shipping department was back on their feet from inventory.

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
mr0w1

The end peices are first threaded then welded together the weld just came undone. Since the weld is what holds the assembly together it just comes apart.

·
Registered
13 Posts
03RangerXLT said:
ajamesp51 was nice enough to call me and talk me through extracting the broken pieces through the front of the gun. Then he met me outside of birmingham to sell me a don's and a spring. Springfield handled the situation very nicely, sending out a replacement part as soon as their shipping department was back on their feet from inventory.

NOW that is GREAT customer service.. (looking for an applause emoticon).

·
Registered
2,534 Posts
when you fired the round that was locked in the chamer, what happened? would you say this is just an instance of a weak weld on the guide rod, or is there some serious underlying flaw with the design.

i don't think it's a widespread problem as i've never read of this happening before, but i'd like to find out as much as i can about it.

thanks for your time, by the way :)

·
Registered
9,947 Posts
I think if it had happened to me I would have put my hand on the back of the slide to hold the barrel locked then fired. If you hold the slide shut you wont rip you hand off you will have to absorb the recoil which is not that bad, but is better than letting the slide smack into the locking block allowing the potential for more damage.

·
Registered
347 Posts
I put a Don's in mine as soon as I could get it in the mail. 24# works great for my XD40, but I also have the 22#, which is still better than the stock. As far as the biggest reason? I've heard of a couple folks mention odd deformity of the stock rod, though this set of posts is the first I've heard of a catastrophic failure where the rod came out the front. With the Don's rod, I just can't see a place it could fail unless the rod was somehow bent. I don't think there are any welds that could break, looks like a single piece of steel.

Matthew

·
Registered
4,183 Posts
****, when it comes to the XD, my time is every XD owners time, because thats the consideration I have been shown by everybody who has responded to any of my threads aking for info. I was such a damn newb about 3 months ago.
The guide rod failed at the weld, and strangely, could be threaded back together again (minus the spring with the 90 degree bend). When I fired the gun the last time to clear the chamber, teh slide barely moved. It was VERY locked in place by the dmage Recoil Spring Assembly. I am lucky it didn't damage the rest of my gun. But I fired it on the recomendation of my deputy friend, he said teh best hting to do was to totally "safe" the gun, because it couldn't be worked on with teh round in it. Because of the problem, I couldn't even extract the spent shell.
From what I have heard, this happens to about 3 or 4 XD owners a year. A pretty small percentage in my opinion. I don't think its a over-riding problem with the XD considering I have heard horror stories about other "brands" of guns. I don't know if he is still gonna do it, but ajamesp51 might add my malfuntion to his malfunctions page on his website. I sent him about a billion pictures of the parts and stuff.
Don's Guide Rod rocks. If i was rich, I would buy one for everyone on the XD forum :)

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
OK EVERYONE SO WHICH SPRING SHOULD I GET FOR A SERVICE MODEL XD

·
Registered
688 Posts
I use the 24# in my XD9. It makes it a little harder to rack the slide but it is a better fit for me. I'm a big guy and have the strength to rack it. Consider YOUR strength in which spring you order.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts