Springfield XD Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered Don's Guide Rod from Pistol-Gear.com on Oct 31st and got it in the mail this morning. I haven't installed it yet but it looks real nice. I'll take pictures and post them ASAP. I think I'm going to want to try out more springs. I got the 22 spring with it. I'll probably take the pictures tonight while I'm with my girlfriend but there isn't any internet there so I might have to wait until tomorrow to get the pictures online.

Is it recommened to sand the tip of the spring to round it off so it won't dig into the washer so much?

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
No need to sand the spring but it wouldn't hurt anything either. Since the springs are cheap it's easy to have several different weights to monkey around with. Have fun!

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I like don's guide rod a lot, I think it's very very very much a lot great. With the number 22 spring, it is a bit more difficult to rack the slide. I haven't fired it yet, I'm anxious to see what it will feel like. It really doesn't matter much how much less recoil I feel since I'm more use to shooting the subcompact and I handle it just fine and the stock rod seemed to give less recoil than my sub as it was. It looks really nice. I'm excited to get more springs for it.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can someone give me some suggestions as to what kind of spring I should get next? What is the difference between the 20 and the 22?

·
Registered
143 Posts
chibigui said:
Can someone give me some suggestions as to what kind of spring I should get next? The number 22 is a bit difficult to rack and my friend can't even rack the slide. What is the difference between the 20 and the 22?
I just received the 18# and the difference between it and the 22 is very noticeable in the ease of racking the slide.... I haven't shot with the 18 yet (tomorrow I will), but I believe it will return the XD to the same characteristics as the stock assembly. A 20# should be a compromise obviously and still be harder to rack and still reduce recoil/flip, but to a lessor degree in both....(someone chime in if newbee me is wrong please :))

onedit: see this thread where Don talks about the differences http://www.hs2000talk.com/viewtopic.php?t=19931

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think I would really like a rod for my sub-compact. I read that one isn't made for it because the stock rod is already very good but I would like one just for the looks if it doesn't alter the performance in any negative way. I've done some searching on the net for guide rods and found a lot for various glocks, do you think a rod made for a compact glock that may be in simular size to the XD may fit? I'm tempted to try it but I don't really know which kind of glock is similar in size to the XD.

·
Registered
10,955 Posts
chibigui said:
I think I would really like a rod for my sub-compact. I read that one isn't made for it because the stock rod is already very good but I would like one just for the looks if it doesn't alter the performance in any negative way. I've done some searching on the net for guide rods and found a lot for various glocks, do you think a rod made for a compact glock that may be in simular size to the XD may fit? I'm tempted to try it but I don't really know which kind of glock is similar in size to the XD.
If your THAT curious, just buy a Dons rod and cut it down along with the spring.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Sure liked the last picture........

·
Registered
299 Posts
What # is the factory spring that comes with the XD 9mm(4")?
Also, I am headed to Pistol Gear now, but what if any differences are expected/felt with a new guide rod?

Thanks

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I just recieved the 18lb spring. It feels so much easier to rack the slide than the 22 did. I'm anxious to try a 16lb in there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
ichy_trigger said:
chibigui said:
If your THAT curious, just buy a Dons rod and cut it down along with the spring.

Is this a good idea? Has anybody done this before?

·
Registered
278 Posts
It's just a metal rod, no reason it wouldn't work. Just cut down the end that sticks out of the barrel, and bevel/polish it. Since it uses 1911 springs, you probably wouldn't even need to cut the spring. Just order one made for a compact 1911.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts